Help!!! I'm locked out of my local disk - Windows 8

KMDK

Cool Member
Reaction score
Okay at first, I was able to access it. But then, since I wasn't able to use it as a full administrator (unable to save downloaded files to hard drive), I tried tweaking the security tab of its properties. I checked and unchecked some of the boxes for what the user can control, but since nothing worked, I accidentally unchecked all of the options for each group (since i thought that was the default setting), then I pressed OK. Now I can't change any of those settings and I can't even access my hard drive... I just bought this laptop and I don't wanna wreck it so early. Any help please? Thanks!

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
So you have revoked read/write permissions for the administrator on files and folders in the drive?

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
Who is the owner of the object?

Properties -> Security -> Advanced -> Owner tab -> Current owner

KMDK

Cool Member
Reaction score
It just says Access is Denied. I can't edit anything in in the hard drive

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would attach the disk to another computer and/or boot to another drive with that one added to see if you can edit the permissions then. No guarantees here. At least you could maybe save documents and similar before wiping the drive and reloading the machine.

KMDK

Cool Member
Reaction score
how do i attach the disk to another computer if the hard drive is built in? And will it void the warranty? I'm using a lenovo thinkpad twist btw. Also how do I boot to another drive?

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Cant you just recover the os? You said you just bought it so there shouldnt be something important on it.

Ghan

Staff member
Reaction score
You need to take the back off of the laptop and pull out the hard drive. Generally a pretty painless operation provided you have a suitably sized screwdriver.

At that point you need standard SATA power and data cables in order to connect it to another computer.
Recovering the OS is certainly a valid option. Try Lenovo's support on their website - they might have a walkthrough or similar on how to do that.

KMDK

Cool Member
Reaction score
Hmm okay, I'll research into connecting the hard drive then.

Although about recovering the OS, I tried reformatting my whole hard drive but my access is also denied there so I can't reformat. I'm still searching for a walkthrough in the Lenovo website. So far haven't found one for my condition

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
There should be a DVD or something. If you boot through that you can format your drive without even starting your OS.

KMDK

Cool Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by a DVD? Because if you mean a windows 8 cd, I don't think it came with one

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Then start the bios and see if there is a recovery option build in.

ertaboy356b

Old School Gamer
Reaction score
Can you access the Safe Mode?? You can access the computer's default admin from there... Try making a system restore if possible..

KMDK

Cool Member
Reaction score
sorry for the late reply. I just came back from a long vacation. Anyway I checked the bios and tutorials about the bios and there is no reformat or recovery option.

Okay I was able to access safe mode and enable the administrator account but access to stuff is still denied

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.