hey guys

H

HolyWater

i havent forgotten about you guys. me and beefman plan to pick up and use that dev system of his soon.

HEY KEV and SkahT long time no see

-PatrickB

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
Hey. Glad to know people are still around. The move really sucked the life out of my dev time, unfortunately.

H

HolyWater

Skah T said:
Hey. Glad to know people are still around. The move really sucked the life out of my dev time, unfortunately.

ya i see that i keep up with your website believe it or not. I am coming into a little more free time to do some developing Chad and I will be dusting off the dev system and fix snake and do another small game and hopefully move on to something bigger and better. We may be emailing if we have some questions :p

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Yeh keep in touch!

So what is the Nuon dev system like? I am tinkering with Jag dev stuff this year so figured I would ask about the Nuon dev system.

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
Depends if you're talking about the software-only dev environment released by VM Labs before it went kaput, or the hardware dev system given to developers.

The former is a bit trying since it involves burning a CD (-RW preferably) to try every change. I don't think anyone has successfully made a cable to download programs to NUON directly. The latter is better as you can communicate with the system over ethernet.

As for programming, as long as you're familiar with programming other systems then NUON shouldn't be too difficult.

H

HolyWater

just checking in as usual. we did do some work on snake, it created some bugs but it looks better and runs in a higher resolution. i dunno if we will ever bother fixing it, if anyone actually plays it maybe worth our time. 360/gears of war has really all I do with my extra time. Working way to much lately.

Stephen

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Any idea how many official DEV kits are still out in the wild? I gave up on the public SDK + CD-RW path years ago.

Stephen Anderson

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
Probably not very many now. Developers likely trashed them or lost them.

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
At one point I was trying to source a few but most of them were in Europe and were so big and heavy they would have been cost-prohibitive to ship.

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Dev units

You still have links and contacts?? What were the dev units like? What would they do?

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
Yeah, the plan was to fit it in an old Atari 2600 case. It just (barely) didn't fit, though, so I found a nice uATX case instead. I still had to leave out the DVD drive, but that isn't necessary for developmentj

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
Wow that was an amazing video.

On the 2600 conversion, I wouldn't have used the old switches but used the handles an attached them to newer switches.

As for cases, you know, you could always get a 5200 case... big black, and beautiful. ;)

As for Nuon dev systems... how many were made, have we established that we have accounted for all units (in hands of collectors, trashed etc)?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.