How do I make a building that builds other buildings?

Togrias

Reaction score
I'm making a unit (building) that is able to build other buildings. I need the buildings built to cost mana and gold.

The closest ability I can find was the "Build Tiny Castle" ability. I'm able to check for resources when the ability is being cast, then deduct accordingly, otherwise simply pause/unpause the casting unit and refund the mana cost.

However, I'm having problems with assigning more than one such ability to the builder. Somehow I can't change the order string or anything and there seems to be a conflict. I.e. ordered to build one building type, it builds another.

I have been unsuccessful/don't know how to in trying to assign the undead acolyte "summon building" ability to a building. Does the ability allow a building to build from afar?

Galdiuz

Creator of Photon Command
Reaction score
Can't you make a point targeted spell, and then when the building casts the spell you create a building at targeted position? I could create a trigger for you.

Light Alkmst

Reaction score
I think you should be able to remove the mana cost of Tiny Castle. Try setting cast range to whatever range you wanted? At worst, you could give the building the build ability and trigger it.

Code:
Event:
     A unit is issued an order
Condition:
     Order is to build // I don't know if this would work though...
Action:
     Order Triggering unit to stop
     Create a dummy unit
     Order last created unit to copy triggering order at target of order being issued
     Add expiration timer to dummy

Shouldn't have to worry about building being canceled because of bad placement, as WC3 should already handle it.

Togrias

Reaction score
Can't. I need the targeting symbol to appear (the one that shows the building's blueprints)

Also, I cannot assign any "Structures Built" to any building.

Galdiuz

Reaction score
Try setting 'Structures built' on the building to the buildings you want it to build. Then maybe you can in someway make a dummy unit create wished building at wished position. I'll check my trigger editor and see if i can cook something up.

Galdiuz

Reaction score
Oh... but you really have to make the structure build it? Can't you make a flying invurnable worker that builds the building, and then make a trigger to check mana of your original building and if it's less than the wished manacost, you destroy the newly made building?

Light Alkmst

Reaction score
Using Tiny <whatever> or setting the building to be able to build others should let you have the building blueprints...

HalosNTariff

Reaction score
It might be possible to give the building a custom bear form ability (with 0 mana cost) and set the 'alternate form unit' to a custom unit which looks the same as your building but is technically a unit, then give this unit the build ability.

However when in 'bear form' the ground texture beneath the building would disappear. I'm not sure whether a 'ranged' build would be possible either.

opiemonster

Reaction score
I know how to fix i think

I was making a map where i wanted the builder to be able to upgrade itself, like a building does. I could still build all melee buildings unless i turned them off in the techtree. This was with the normal peasant though. I dont know if this will work but try editing the non custom peasant so that it is similar to your own. Then edit another non custom building so it is similar to the building you want to build. You will then need to fiddle around with the techtree. Good luck, dont blame me for waisting your time.

Curo

Why am I still playing this game...?
Reaction score
Well they did it in Sprout TD. You might want to look at that for ideas, or talk to the creator. I think it's probably just a regular point target spell that takes away mana/gold when you use it, and creates a building through triggers (as Galdiuz said). Odd though that there is no "structures built" field for buildings....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.