How to get a database for a game ?

DrEvil

FCRI Associate!
Reaction score
Well...

I want a database for a game .. but not for a site..

All suggestions would help , thanks :)

DrEvil

FCRI Associate!
Reaction score
Just a read through...

It sounds like it is not for 'multi-player' because it reads of the system disk ( HDD ? )

Well from what I read... it seems that way.. also it looks like its only for C/C++ ... Not C# :banghead:

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
Perhaps you will need to clarify specifically what you seek.

"A database for a game, and not the web" sounded to me like "a database that a game can use locally on a machine, to store information like saves, preferences, scores, etc."

If you want a database that runs on a central server and not a single user's computer, then you'll probably end up using the same database systems used on websites: MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc...

Also: http://code.google.com/p/csharp-sqlite/

DrEvil

FCRI Associate!
Reaction score
Oh .. ok .. sorry for me not being clear about it :eek:

Guess I'l use MySql then :)

Xorifelse

I'd love to elaborate about discussions...........
Reaction score
Depends rather in what language you're gonna program the game, but in most cases I'd go with PostGreSQL or MySQL.
Both are very stable databases, but I always prefer open source software, so my first choice would be PostGreSQL.

For example, if you're programming C/C++ this would be a pretty good library.

In other languages, I'm not sure so Google that.

> It sounds like it is not for 'multi-player' because it reads of the system disk ( HDD ? )
I'm not sure if you understand what a database is about, while it is able to handle real time data no "good" programmer would ever use it as such.
A database is used to store data, and retrieve that data when a user wants to log-in. Then the application should store those values in the memory and handles the rest from there. When a user go's offline the application should store those values into the database for the next time the user logs in.

And on a second note, where else should the database store the data on the computer? On memory?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.