How to make healing passive abillity

aider

Reaction score
Hello guys. Me and a friend is planning a pretty huge project based on our knowledge. Of course we have a lot of problems, but we work them out after som researching and experimenting. Still, there is problems our heads nearly explode of. First thing is that we want to customize abillites much more than we are allowed to do, but maybe you guys know a way?

We are trying to make a hero based on Blood Magic, so:
We want to give a hero the passive abillty to heal 25 damage every time he attacks a unit. We used Bash as the "base abillity" and removed the extra dmg and stun, then we tried to add "Heal" to "Stat - Buff" but that was for "Active abillites" or something. The only triggers we found that has anything with HP was setting unit HP to either a chosen % or value, which really isnt "adding hp".

And while talking about Blood Magic spells, anyone made an abillity that consume HP instead of Mana?

Thanks in advance.

Sui-cookie

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
you could give the hero an aura that effects only the units and then go for something like:
Trigger:
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • ((Attacking unit) has buff Cloak of Flames) Equal to (==) True
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set life of (Attacking unit) to ((Life of (Attacking unit)) + 25.00)

i havent really tested this, but seems like it would work to me =o

and yes, setting life is what you would need =o

pride2518

Reaction score
I make a lot of spells that consume HP. Here's an example of one.

Trigger:
  • FOD
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Finger of Death
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Level of Finger of Death for (Triggering unit)) Greater than or equal to 1
        • Then - Actions
          • Unit - Set life of (Triggering unit) to ((Life of (Triggering unit)) - 100.00)
          • Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage (Target unit of ability being cast), dealing 100000000.00 damage of attack type Chaos and damage type Universal
          • Hero - Create Heart and give it to (Triggering unit)
        • Else - Actions

aider

Reaction score
Thanks A LOT! Worked just the way we wanted, after we found the arithmetic thing

We might come with more questions later tough :p

Sui-cookie

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
you are more than welcome ^^ i'll help all i can.
have fun with your map :] that's what it's there for.

BluABK

Reaction score
Thanks for your help earlier, but once again we've encountered a new problem (probably going to be a lot of those, lol).

We intend to make said passive healing ability to be present as an ability on the hero the second it "spawns" without needing to be learned, thus wasting one skill point.

Do you guys have any ideas regarding how to accomplish that?

Once again thanks in Advance.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
dont add it as a hero ability but as a normal ability in the object editor.

if you want it to have several levels and to be levelable like normal hero abilities just add it to both, normal and hero abilities.

hopy

Reaction score
Trigger:
  • (Level of Finger of Death for (Triggering unit)) Greater than or equal to 1

This if can be removed, if he casts the ability it already means its level is 1 or above.

Trigger:
  • Kamikaze
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Kamikaze
    • Actions
      • Unit - Set life of (Triggering unit) to ((Life of (Triggering unit)) - 100.00)

But you can also do this with a standard ability if I'm right. Vampiric aura maybe, could be that it adds a % only, haven't checked.

We intend to make said passive healing ability to be present as an ability on the hero the second it "spawns" without needing to be learned, thus wasting one skill point.

Instead of making it a Hero ability make it a 1 level Normal unit ability and add it to the hero. Normal abilities wont show up in the skills list when spending a skill point.

BluABK

Reaction score
Yeah thanks, we went for setting it as a normal ability, I have no idea why we didn't think of that earlier =P

Anyway the ability now has a pretty grave bug/issue, because due to our current set-up it makes the user able to instantly use the ability as long as the hero is in combat... Over Powered, much?

Trigger:
  • Tiara Attack
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Attacking unit)) Equal to Tiara
    • Actions
      • Wait 1.00 seconds
      • Unit - Set life of (Attacking unit) to ((Life of (Attacking unit)) + 25.00)
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the overhead of (Attacking unit) using Abilities\Spells\Human\Heal\HealTarget.mdl

With this trigger set-up it makes it so that when the hero is attempting to attack it will instantly use the ability. So by simply by frequently using the stop attack command while in combat the hero will be instantly healed.

As you might already have gathered this opportunity is less than ideal for our intended use of this ability.

I also approached the issue by having the game check if units were taking damage instead of being attacked, but as far as I can see this is only possible with Specific Unit Event triggers and most of our enemy creeps spawns through triggers (like in tower defence), thus Specific Unit Event triggers are useless in this context...

And then there's another issue regarding another new "spell" we are creating for one of our heroes. The "spell" is a Blight Dispel ability (like certain buildings have), but it seems that buildings that contain this ability only uses it when they spawn and never again.

Our intention is that the hero is to constantly dispel blight wherever it walks. But it's not really a "spell" as it is more a normal ability, but it's not intended to take up any inventory or ability slots, it is to work just as it does in certain buildings that dispels blighted areas over time, it just is there, invisible to the naked eye.

We attempted to put the pre-made "Dispel Blight" ability on our hero, but even if he stood still on blighted area for 10 minutes nothing changed...

So any ideas, tips or guidelines on how to solve these problems is much appreciated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.