How to Unlock A Map

Kilik

Reaction score
Yeah i quit Warcraft for awhile and now i am ready to play again. But i locked one of my maps i was making and never finished. And i would like to know how do i unlock it again. Because it wont just unlock for some reason...Everytime i try to unlock it using Extprotect it says "Filename selected to save as is not a valid filename" Any help would be great thanks.

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Before you do something like that you should always make a backup of your work. Always - remember that.

D

darkassaisin

when u lock a map it can't be unlocked. thats y u make 2 versions of it. one for hostin and one for makin the map.

D

darkassaisin

y do they make unlockers? it makes it so lockers r useless.

D

darkassaisin

yea i want a locker just so i can reduce the lag and stuff. and also i am made at map makers who do wat u say. (loap for example) and they also take credit for all of it. i hate those people.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kilik
Everytime i try to unlock it using Extprotect it says "Filename selected.....
ExtProtect is a locker, NOT an unlocker.

Originally posted by XXconanXXX
Map optimizer should be able to unlock maps.
No. Map omtimizers lock maps. Not unlock.

No map protector can restore the GUI triggers and other files removed. Adding in other ones will add blank ones.

There is one script out there to make the maps openable once again, but half the data will be gone, and they removed the links do to protest of the mapping community.

Cheaters open the archive and edit the JASS script file, chaning values as they please. They never get a full working copy.

So thats that.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
I wonder why Blizzard didn't build in a properly designed 'lock' feature into the editor. All these other ones that people have come up with generally work, but they are hack jobs.

SD_Ryoko

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Blizzard promotes map sharing and editing, as per the screen when world-editor loads.

From a learning standpoint it helps the mapping community, and they are against map protection.

From a theivery standpoint, its horrible.

Thats why 20 dota variations have the same exact terrain.

Thats why 10 mauls have the exact same layout and engine.

Even dota allstars itself, was ripped from another mapping group. There was a huge debate about it, but generally dota players said 'so what'. Eventually, Guinsoos map became more popular than the original author, and now is considered the standard to beat, and made CGW magazine.

Heh.

And of course, everone will play the more popular, better version. Even myself.

H

Hell-Pleaque

Originally posted by SD_Ryoko
Eventually, Guinsoos map became more popular than the original author, and now is considered the standard to beat, and made CGW magazine.

Waiit.... wait.. Guinsoon's map got an article in a magazine?

Kilik

Reaction score
So what your saying is i can never open my map again and all my work i did is gone...?

Kilik

Reaction score
Originally posted by The Helper
Before you do something like that you should always make a backup of your work. Always - remember that.

I did make a back up copy and that wouldnt open either.

Kilik

Reaction score
Well if anyone can unlock this it would be great...

Attachments

• new life of a peasant beta-4.w3m
    149.8 KB · Views: 357

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
our policy on these forums at least is not to tell people how to do it. If anyone has been on the battle.net forums, however, you would be aware of one particular individual who freely promotes how to do it and gives the info to people who don't really know anything. This in my mind is irresponsible, and really exposes how much of an idiot the guy is.

If I ever meet that particular individual in person one day, I could think of a few things to do to him.....

anyway, regarding your map, I can take a look at it for you and see if it can be recovered or not.

Darg

Administrator
Reaction score
well there don't seem to be any triggers left (not sure if any were there in the first place), but the rest is there.

Attachments

• new life of a peasant beta-fixed.w3m
    138 KB · Views: 362

Kilik

Reaction score
Cool thanks, yeah all my triggers are gone and units and stuff.(werent there many) But thanks so much for recovering everything.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.