I made a Daft Punk helmet!

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
In my third year of college, we had a class where we programmed micro-processors and we had to choose a theme for a project that represented a big part of our final grade. I decided to do a Daft Punk Helmet (Guy Manuel's, more exactly).

After a lot of work and spending white nights before the deadline, I managed to build it and here it is:

However, it came out pretty crude and I plan on making another one in my spare time, a better one this time :D.

Building process:
walkthrough-1.png

walkthrough-2.png

walkthrough-3.png

walkthrough-4.png

walkthrough-5.png

walkthrough-6.png

walkthrough-7.png

walkthrough-8.png

The micro-processor was an ATMega 324.

If you are interested in other details, just ask!

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
Oh poor you! You should have thought of that before you made that. :)

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
I did think of it, but to make it sturdy enough I had to make it thicker than anticipated. Also, the electronics card and the cables occupied more than I thought they will.

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I had a feeling it was pepakura, ha.

Awesome job man. I will read more in detail of this when I have the time. It looks great, so much better than my attempts with pep building ha.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Well, from what I read, Pepakura seems to be the starting point for most of these helmets :D.

Thank you! I am trying to build it again, but I don't really have the time, unfortunately.

Here's a sneak peek, though:

Untitled-2.png

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Wow, that is awesome. I thought it was pretty creative that you used those water bottles as the screen.

A shame that you can't wear it. :( Why doesn't it fit? Is it too small? If it just doesn't balance, then you should just make some complicated rig to keep it on your face. :D

It looks quality to me.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
It is too small, indeed. I can fit on my head without the wiring instead and the thing is that my head is a bit big, too :p. It can fit on girls' heads and on smaller guys. It is pretty stable, because I used some kind of isolating sponge that was used in a motherboard packaging. This ensures that the electric circuits are protected as well. Yeah, originally I wanted to vacuum-form the visor, but I couldn't set up a rig in time and I couldn't find any place to do that here, so I just went "screw it" and cut those bottles apart :D. Glad you like it and thank you!

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
I had the same problem with the helmet I built. After it was done I had to like, from the inside, trim parts and sand things down just to barely fit in my head. And I had already increased the dimensions of the build. Apparently everyone else just had small, thin heads...

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Yeah, tell me about it.

When I first had the finished Pepakura model in my hands, I was like "Man, this is way too big". But after adding everything, including batteries and the electronics card, there was no chance that it would fit on my head :D.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.