Ideas for preventing kill stealing on an arena?

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
In a map where it's possible for 12 players to end up on the same arena at the same time in an everybody vs. everybody match, it's likely that players will try to finish off all the heroes with low hp to get the Xp. For example saving an ability and waiting for someone with low hp to blast with it, or leaving the current fight just to kill low hp heroes (this would be bad if 11 heroes jump one at the same time...)

I've been trying to think of ways to discourage this, does anyone have any good ideas as to going about this?

So far i've been thinking of:

1. dividing the Xp when a Hero dies between all heroes still alive, so there would be no need to be the actual killer, just to stay alive as long as you can. But i don't know about that, it might change the nature of the fight too much...

2. giving Xp only to the winner, but this would only be the last option, if no other viable options come up...

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
perhaps keep a tab of who dealt how much damage to each hero, and award a kill only if the killer is also the person who dealt the most damage to the dying hero within the last 5 seconds or so

giving Xp only to the winner, but this would only be the last option, if no other viable options come up...

this doesn't make sense to me.. perhaps you need to explain your game more? how exactly do you determine a winner?

Imp Midna

Reaction score
how exactly do you determine a winner?
The last survivor i asume.

maybe don't give the exp for the kills but rather for the damage dealt, like 1 exp every 10 dmg or something (dont know about your scale of hp and such). Some people might try to keep their opponent alive to farm exp but that seems like a rather dumb move, so it probably wont work. Maybe tied to a max exp per guy limit in case the last 2 survivors decide to farm each other.

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
The map in a nutshell: An Arena/Rpg hybrid with an arena in the middle, where Heroes are randomly summoned to various events (normally 4 heroes at a time, but sometimes all heroes to a Last man standing event e.g), during the match other Heroes can run around killing creeps and leveling outside the Arena, where they are allied, and can even team up to kill the strongest creeps (or watch the match and do nothing). So there will be multiple matches during the game, and the winner is the last survivor (in events that require killing in any case).

That sounds pretty good, though, giving Xp for damage dealt. I'll have to look into that (i remember having trouble with the Takes Damage event in the past for some reason, but maybe i won't have to use that), thanks for the replies and ideas.

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
Edit: Never mind, made a separate thread for this question.

NeosDany

Reaction score
Here comes my idea, and please think about it:
Kill stealing sucks badly I know, but it is not neccesary to give experience to the players instantly when they kill, so here is my idea, every time a hero dies you can create a small ball that grows up with the experience that would be given to all the heros nearby, after a few seconds of no battle between players the ball could explode and release the experience acumulated divided by the players nearby, so if someone kills a hero that creates or increases the size of the ball of experience making you think twice before releasing a single spell just to steal the kill because you may actually need it in order to survive enough to collect a few experience points, or, if you want it all you will need to kill all the other players really quickly, or think a lot to make a better strategy.

gbubic2

Reaction score
Don't know will this work for you but, I am making arena map. Trying to get quite dark atmosphere in it so I have meteorites randomly falling on map, and some other stuff that are like "natural" events that can deal damage or kill players. So it is a chance that full health hero, or low health hero can get hit by it and die or get sunned and give chance to pour little dying hero... Good luck.

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
Wow, a blast from the past. Didn't remember this thread anymore...

NeosDany; that sounds like a very cool system, but i already went on with the damage-based system. I also made a few additional scripts where heroes get Xp bonuses based on how they use spells.

gbubic2; i don't really understand how that has to do with preventing kill stealing? But funnily enough though, in my map there's an event called Guanoland, where all players are summoned to the arena and meteors start falling down, the last 3 survivors win the event... it's chaos...

gbubic2

Reaction score
It seams you are very far advanced in editor than me, I mean a lot. Would like to see your map when it is done. I will share mine in 5 years when it is done ;-)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.