Infinite Loop without waits, is it possible ?

C

Chindril

What I mean by an infinite loop, is a trigger like this

Code:
loop
exitwhen Continue == false

(Actions here...)
if( Condition ) then
    set Continue = false
endif

endloop

Basicly, the triggers stops itself after a few loop, from what I read there is a time limit for a trigger to execute, unless you put in waits or stuff like it.

I tried adding a call PolledWait(0.01), but its too slow
A wait of 0.00 doesnt work neither
Finally, call TriggerSleepAction( 0.00 ) works, but still too slow.

Is there any ways I could make my loop happen like 30-50 times a seconds without stopping ? (Like a background thread)

- Chindril

Daelin

Kelani Mage
Reaction score
PolledWait uses TriggerSleepAction whose lower limit is set to 0.27 (practically not even 3 per second).

Your solution are timers, whose repetition can be set down to 0.01 (I think not lower but I haven't tested). Nevertheless, do not give a too low value or else the game may lag.

~Daelin

corvusHaunt

Reaction score
A sleep action, even set at zero, will default at .1 (or something even higher, not sure, don't use it), because that is the lowest it can go.

Either use a periodic, or if you need for some reason the locals, and to be multi-instanceable, you need the Handle Vars or the Table system, by KaTTana and Vexorian, respectively.
If you don't know what these do, they use a periodic timer, and each time it expires, sets off the handle function, accesses a gamecache and does your loop. So basically, a loop without a loop :)

C

Chindril

How could I forgot about the timers...

I guess something like it would work ?

Code:
local timer t = CreateTimer()
call TimerStart(t,0.05,true,function Threadabc)

.05 sec should be enought, just so its smooth to the human eyes

As for the handles (to keep the locals), I know how to do it, thanks =)

- Chindril

Daelin

Kelani Mage
Reaction score
Usually it is said that 0.05 is not smooth enough. For full smoothness 0.035 is recommended.

~Daelin

Vexorian

Why no custom sig?
Reaction score
Really? I use 0.04 all the time and it isn't that bad somewhere I read that the human eye can only catch 24 frames per second. But it was just a random page, if you found that it is 29 or 28 please tell me. Although I tried setting it to 0.035 in the wip frozen orb and it certainly seemed smoother.

U

Unregistered

I've tried .05 and .03, honestly the difference wasnt really noticable. Maybe a little bit of "lag" at 0.05.

Anyway, since putting 0.03 doesn't change the performance (just a small function and I made sure theres no leak), I'ld be dumb to put 0.05 :p

I thought the human eyes caught 60 images / sec, no ?

- Chindril

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Depends on what you're looking at.

A First Person Shooter at 24/s is ridiculous.
Though that would be the standard frame rate on the "big screen"...

Anything over 70 is pretty much indistinguishable from the real thing for almost all people.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.