Information: How to prevent crashes when cancelling upgrades.

CYBER_Aeon

Reaction score
Tip: How to prevent crashes when cancelling upgrades.

I was about to post a question about this, but I managed to figure it out myself and decided it was just obscure enough to post about. It was a strange crash bug I had, and others might benefit from knowing about this.

I had a pair of structures. 'Trap Marker' and 'Concussion Mine'. Essentially, the Trap Marker could be upgraded to the Mine. (And other things, but that's not important)

The catch was, when you cancelled the upgrade, WC3 would crash to the desktop. You could cancel the Marker, you could kill the Marker AND the Trap. You just couldn't cancel the upgrade.

Turns out, I had a conflict with the pathing information. I'm not sure why WC3 cared about this, but this is what it to fix it.

Code:
PROBLEM:
  Trap Marker
     Pathing Map: Circle of Power
     Collision Size: 16
  Concussion Mine
     Pathing Map: None
     Collision Size: 0

SOLUTION:
  Trap Marker
  Concussion Mine

I can't tell you why it works now, because i'm not sure. All I know is that's what fixed the problem.

Magentix

if (OP.statement == false) postCount++;
Reaction score
The upgraded form had no pathing, where the upgradeable form did.
Returning from the no pathing to some pathing by cancelling the upgrade probably caused the crash.
(Since the game must have gotten confused about whether or not to make it pathable)

CYBER_Aeon

Reaction score
Yeah, that seems to be it. Not sure why it tripped it up so badly, but it did. If you're having problems with WC3 crashing when upgrading structures though, this is something to watch out for.

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks CYBER_Aeon. +repo

Learn new things everyday~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.