News iOS 18 might let you set Google Maps as the iPhone’s default navigation app, with a big EU twist

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
I keep trying to use Apple Maps more on my iPhone. But I routinely find myself switching to Google Maps and staying with it. Google Maps is by far my favorite Google app, having become one of those essential services Google provides. If I were given the option to make Google Maps the default navigation app on iPhone, I think I would.

It turns out that Apple might offer that option to iPhone users come iOS 18. Just like with the browser or email, you might be able to set Google Maps as the default navigation solution on the handset. There’s a big caveat in all of this, and it’s called the European Union. That’s right, the move might be part of Apple’s compliance roadmap for the Digital Markets Act (DMA).

I’m not just a longtime iPhone user; I’m an EU-based one. I’ll experience all the “goodies” in the DMA. I put that in quotes because I’ve been very critical of some of the DMA’s requirements. iPhone sideloading and chat app interoperability are coming to the EU smartphone experience soon. And I want none of that.

While I won’t sideload apps on iPhone or Android, and I won’t make WhatsApp work with any third-party chat apps, the DMA might bring other changes that I will take advantage of. Like, you’ve guessed it by now, setting Google Maps as the default navigation app on iPhone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.