Is it possible to use custom spells based on the same spell inside a spellbook, or for the same hero

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
Solved:

I tried giving heroes the spell book ability and put custom spells in it, all based on Scroll of Regeneration. I then noticed that casting one of them will cast all of them (or at least the three with which i was experimenting with), then i tried a spell based on the Healing Salve and it did the same.

Can some explain a little how this structure works, because i've never run into this problem before, granted most of my custom spells have been for items. I also tried using a different order string for them but it did nothing.

Clarification: all these spells are dummies that activate triggers, so if you can recommend other spells that are good for that kind of use, i can use them as well, or instead, rather.

afisakov

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I tried giving heroes the spell book ability and put custom spells in it, all based on Scroll of Regeneration. I then noticed that casting one of them will cast all of them (or at least the three with which i was experimenting with), then i tried a spell based on the Healing Salve and it did the same.

Can some explain a little how this structure works, because i've never run into this problem before, granted most of my custom spells have been for items. I also tried using a different order string for them but it did nothing.

Clarification: all these spells are dummies that activate triggers, so if you can recommend other spells that are good for that kind of use, i can use them as well, or instead, rather.

As far as I can understand the reason for the problem is while you can change the order string to activate, you can't change the base order id, therefore having multiple of a spell with the same base order id causes them all to activate each other. I ran into this earlier when trying to use mass serpent wards and serpent ward on the same hero -both activated the mass serpent ward.

The fastest solution I can think of is to simply use multiple spells as dummy abilities that have similar properties.
eg. berserk, scroll of regen, scroll of haste, scroll of the beast, maybe thunderclap
These are all instant activate just by clocking spell, so if you set their stat boost to "0" they should make good dummy spells.
Don't forget to adjust your trigger to use the new dummy abilities instead, of course.

Another strategy I heard of is to use the channel ability, set the follow-through time to 0.1 seconds, and directly change the base-order id on your and activation order id on your dummy abilities. This sounds like the more elegant solution since it allows as many dummies per hero as you could wish, but since I have never tried to do this I cannot guarantee it would work.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: O.A

Solu9

Reaction score
If you base your dummy abilities on the exact same standard ability they will interfere with each other since they use the same order string. That's where the Channel ability comes into play. The Channel spell you can change the order string to an enormous amount of strings.

Fx:
Channel 1: Order string - harvestlumber
Channel 2: Order string - unloadarcher

When used in trigger you do what you would normally do:

Events: A unit starts the effect of an ability
Conditions: Ability being cast equal to Channel 1
Events:
Create your dummy unit or whatever you want to happen here.
Remember that dummy units CAN have abilities based on the same standard ability (fx: Thunder Clap) since they will not interfere with other dummy units spells (of course).

Hope that helped clarify :)

Edit: Arg! afisakov was quicker.

Edit2:
I also tried using a different order string for them but it did nothing.
Warcraft 3 is pretty stubborn when it comes to this. It seems stupid that you can change the order string but the game will still treat it as the standard string. But that is unfortunately how it works.

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
Those answers clarify things, thank you. However, in the meantime, i managed to get into a new problem, which defies reason. I read the "making spellbooks" tutorial, which said to set the 'Data- maximum spells' to the number of spells you have, and the minimum to 1. However, my custom spell book (which is a unit ability on a hero) completely randomly chooses which abilities it shows. When i added a third spell, only 2 of them showed, and when i shuffled the order in the spell list, once again only 2 showed, but now different spells.

Then i tried making 4 spells based on Channel, set the max spells to 4 and put them all in the book, none of them show up. Kind of at a loss here, some further help would be appreciated.

Solu9

Reaction score
I always, always, set both maximum and minimum to 11. To my knowledge that is also the best way to ensure not to run into problems.

About the Channel spells. Did you set "Data - Options" to visible?

Reactions: O.A

O.A

Quantum physics rules
Reaction score
Alright, now everything is in order, i set the minimum and maximum to 11 and now everything is showing up. Also set the Channel to visible, that was probably why that wasn't working, but now everything else is working also. Thanks for the replies.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.