UK News 'Jedi' religion most popular alternative faith

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Today's Census figures show that 176,632 people in England and Wales identify themselves as Jedi Knights, making it the most popular faith in the "Other Religions" category on the Census and the seventh most popular faith overall.

The new figures reveal that the lightsabre-wielding disciples are only behind Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism, Judaism and Buddhism in the popularity stakes, excluding non-religious people and people who did not answer.

Following a nationwide campaign, Jedi made it onto the 2001 census, with 390,127 people identifying themselves a decade ago as followers of the fictional Star Wars creed.

Although the number of Jedis has dropped by more than 50 per cent over the previous 10 years, they are still the most selected "alternative" faith on the Census, and constitute 0.31% of all people's stated religious affiliation in England and Wales.

Last edited:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
Oh shit I totally skipped over it. I just saw a bunch of isms and grouped them all together.

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
I'm glad they beat Scientology. Is Mormonism considered a branch of Christianity? I hope they got beat, too.

BlueMirage

Trust, but doubt.
Reaction score
I find it kind of sad that a religion that we know for certain is fabricated has followers. Even its followers do.

Varine

Reaction score
Why? I fail to see how that's bad; I doubt most of them believe that they can do Darth Vader shit, but rather see it as a good set of ideals and values to follow that could benefit yourself and others. There's nothing sad about it, what is sad is someone who doesn't adopt such a system and just lives an immoral and unsucceeding life.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I find it kind of sad that a religion that we know for certain is fabricated has followers. Even its followers do.

I think it's a good thing if the followers can admit that it's fabricated - that fact alone puts it above many other religions

Varine

Reaction score
Not really - the Jedi thing is based on evident fiction. Christianity, Judaism, etc, have been around for thousands of years without fading into obscurity.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Every religion is fabricated. Even if you believe in some kind of deity of whatever religion you follow i highly doubt that you believe said deity is really interested in how many prayers exactly you speak a day or on what days you have to fast.
Its all made by man, whether it is "real" or not. Religion is always fabricated.

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
Man, I realized how I never got around to watch any Star Wars movies.

On an unrelated note, welcome back, TH! Missed you posting news. :D

Fatmankev

Chef, Writer, and Midnight Toker
Reaction score
Why don't you come laugh at my expense to my face? Or better yet, when I find your ass in Buffalo in a few weeks?
I'm sure there will be plenty of time for chuckles once we've made it to Greenland.

I took you for someone without a belief in a higher power. Mormonism just never made much sense to me; any religion that requires its members to 'donate' their money seems more like a well-planned scam. Especially when it's founder was convicted and fined for convincing others of his seer-stone capabilities at their expense. I don't see how it's much more valid than Scientology, except that people should certainly know better by this day and age to believe something written by a science-fiction writer as fact.

And TheHelper posted the article... maybe he's a member of the Jedi faith?

iPeez

Hot food far all world wide!
Reaction score
I step aside from all religion and believes.
From what I believe, we live on this planet once, and once only. So I find those commiting themselves to a God or gods, dumb. Why spend so much time, energy and thought trying to explain to yourself, why we're on this planet and where life comes from, and all of the questions we can ask, but have no asnwers for?

I rather live out my life with friends, family and all the people I meet in life, knowing I got to see what I had time to see. Explore and experience mother Earth and all the nature!

Please dont take any of this offensivly or personal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.