Life of a College Student: How do I overcome the aspects of college life?

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
This is my first week living in a college dormitory, which is located within the boundaries of the college itself. I'm living with 3 roommates, all currently absent during the night between 10:00 PM to 2:00 AM.

We all are computer science freshmen, and the common thing we all have are:

Computers, glasses, near-sightness, games, and gender.

That's about it. The problems I'm about to face are these. They are questions, and they are linked to the questionable aspects of being a college student.

1. How should I get along with people if I don't know how to communicate in their language?
2. How should I learn to have a girlfriend?
3. And how should I learn to be independent of everything?

Reason:
Why should I start out by introducing the roommates? Some people think that the first step is to start out by talking to them, but I can't speak clearly. It's hard to come up with something that's good enough to chat. And we mostly have about 18 hours per day wasted on playing computer games and chatting on MSNs.

As for girlfriends, it's a wonder to have 11 females in our courses. (By females, I'm referring to 18+ year old girls, and usually it's about 7 or 8 of them.) It's not like the American society; everything goes the opposite way around.

(If you use the usual way of attracting someone, it won't work here. 100% never. Instead, you get shunned upon.)

And, as for my mentality, I feel like I'm still a 12-year-old kid. Never have I thought of myself as a frog in a well, until now. I need some counseling, but over here, the counselors can't understand me and my spoken word.

(If you think of yourself living in an unfamiliar country, you'll know what I'm talking about.)

Awaiting on an experienced college student's answers.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
1. They like games, find a game you 3 like and stick with it. And, why would you go to a school, where you dont know the language?
2. You dont need one, not for college.
3. Learn the basics of living. doing your laundry, making your bed, learn basic cooking, etc.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Having a girlfriend while you're in college will be the biggest mistake of your life.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
sqrage is right, get a girlfriend once education is out of the way.

and,

dont over stress yourself, if you start to think you cant do stuff, you wont be able to. If you go into a mental breakdown during college, you are done for

tom_mai78101

The Helper Connoisseur / Ex-MineCraft Host
Staff member
Reaction score
1. They like games, find a game you 3 like and stick with it. And, why would you go to a school, where you dont know the language?
2. You dont need one, not for college.
3. Learn the basics of living. doing your laundry, making your bed, learn basic cooking, etc.

1. The reason is that my parents won't allow me to go back to USA while under (18?) the age of majority. I got in a year earlier than others.
2. I need more info. Thanks.
3. I see. Anything else that's labeled as "Basics for living"?

Having a girlfriend while you're in college will be the biggest mistake of your life.

I need more info. I'm very very curious about this.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
>>I need more info. I'm very very curious about this.

In college you will be surrounded by 100s of extremely hot women. You will not want to be tied down to one. Especially when you start going to the parties.

ElderKingpin

Reaction score
some people get carried away when getting a GF in college, finish your education FIRST then you can look for a girl. Its not that hard to understand, the point of college is to prepare you for the rest of your life, not to get a GF you might never see again once you leave college. (This could probably be just me, but once you concentrate too much on a girl, or several, your grades drop pretty fast)

Basic living
Making your bed, learning how to cook (like balancing out your diet between protein and vegetables), learning basic first aid, so you know how to treat yourself in-case of a minor injury, read up on it, basic hygiene, ironing your clothes. so on and so forth, basically what your mother did for you while you were still in high school.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
You guys and "Looking for a girl". You don't LOOK for someone you're going to be compatible with, you go about your daily life and when that special person comes about, congrats you have a girl. If you constantly go out and look for someone, be it clubbing or going to the movies every week, you're going to find someone you're not going to work good with...

The only time you "look for a girl" is when you're only interested in one night stands...

13lade619

is now a game developer :)
Reaction score
It's hard to come up with something that's good enough to chat.
i have 5 roommates... and we can pretty much discuss anything..
we can start with an odd subject and go on for pretty much an hour talking about anything.

3. And how should I learn to be independent of everything?
try everything? seriously.. dont pass up on oppurtunities.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
don't worry pal. I am here for you.
1. How should I get along with people if I don't know how to communicate in their language?

Play the same games with them. Dota, UT, SC, HoN anything that might bind you. Also you might try to ask them to go out for pizza or something. You know, tasty cheap food and a good place to chat. When I was in germany this year it was very hard for me to communicate too. However, there are a couple of rules you need to know.

At this point anything is better then shutting up. Even if you talk with mistakes, talk. Get to know them.

. And how should I learn to be independent of everything?
what ?! I don't get it. Just make sure you are able to do all of the chores good. Don't do all of the chores, just make sure that you can do wondry, coock, clean, go shopping and go to parties without someone needing to hold your hand.

2. How should I learn to have a girlfriend?

First of all get to know all of the girls in your class. Pick the one that you think you have future with (you know same interests, you get along good) and then tell me to lay down some baisick rules on what you should and should never do when trying to win a girl.

Cornface

Avoid, if at all possible.
Reaction score
Cut down with the gaming, it will only isolate you from people. And after 3 years, you will only realise what a fucking waste the gaming is when you could have lived instead.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Cut down with the gaming, it will only isolate you from people. And after 3 years, you will only realise what a fucking waste the gaming is when you could have lived instead.

I'd like to say, this man is 100% right. I gave up gaming and my life is so much more enjoyable now.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score

I disagree to an extent.

I still play my video games pretty regularly. Most of the the time, however, it's when Danny's at work... So I guess my argument almost doesn't make sense since I'm only spending my personal free time on games, not time I could be spending with teh wifey.

Either way, I don't think gaming gets in the way of having a life. I've always been a pretty regular gamer and I don't have a problem with how my life is working out right now.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
To add on to what Seth has said, I also still play games on a daily basis. When I say "Gamer" though, I'm talking about all day gaming with no other things you do. I used to play WoW daily, wake up, get on, get tired, pass out, repeat. When I stopped doing that and got out and made good friends and started going places, my life got much more enjoyable. But then again, the people I met all play a lot of Xbox too. Yeah, you'd never think that a bunch of sportbikers would be /b/tards and gamers. :p

Don't get me wrong, I still "game", but I wouldn't call myself a flat out "gamer". :p

DM Cross

Reaction score
See, I don't consider that being a "gamer". I call that being an addict [no offense]

Too much gaming is definitely a bad thing. Too much of ANYTHING is usually a bad thing. We have to know how to balance things out in our lives, so we're not sucked into unhealthy situations.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
Oh, in that case I'm a gamer. Everytime I said I was a gamer, people said something like "How can you play games all day like that?" :p

As for college, I'm going to a college right down the road from my house, so I don't have to go through all the dorm stuff.

DM Cross

Reaction score
My ex-girlfriend went away to college mainly because she couldn't stand her home life. I personally wouldn't want to have to pay extra just to live somewhere when I could live at home... I don't know how much dorming costs, but I'd laugh my ass off if it was actually cheaper to live home the way I do than going to a dorm.

Bloodcount

Starcraft II Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I play games, lurk in forums and make maps on a daily baisis. I think that I am a gamer.

However, I go to my fair share of parties meetings and what ever. you see I have a system (I know this sounds stupid but meh)

When I am at school, I always make good friends and spend the breaks either with my buddies or with girls.

When I get back home is I have some exam or something important I study and play. Otherwise I just play.

This repeats from monday to thursday. On friday I am 100% out, either with friends from school or with other friends.

Saturday and sunday are spent almost equally between friends/date/family and the playing games factor is just 5-10% of the time.

I think that you, DDRtists, have misunderstood the meaning of the word gamer. A gamer is someone who enjoys playing games (a gamer is not a leaver, flamer, nor noob). A gamer has mastered at least one game.

I don't blame you though. What most people understand by the word gamer is someone addicted to wow who uses his chair as a toilet and has no experience in personal grooming what so ever.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
I know what gamer means, but everytime I've used it, it's always turned into something about ONLY playing games.

And "(a gamer is not a leaver, flamer, nor noob)" is not true, you can play lots of games and be completely suck at the game, you're still a gamer. With that theory, if I was to buy a new game and the first time learning how to play, I wouldn't "be a gamer" until I didn't suck at the game? I think not. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.