Loading Multiple Maps?

Karthis

Reaction score
I've seen in a couple RPG's that you can load multiple map files at the same time and allow users to seamlessly flow from one to the other without loading periods. I looked through the forum for a bit, but didn't find anything on it. Anyone know how this is done?

Gtam

Lerning how to write and read!! Yeah.
Reaction score
maby they just have a huge map and separate them.

Devrak

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think that's possible. They probably used camera bounds or something to separate the regions.

Karthis

Reaction score
I'm at least 90% certain that they preloaded a couple maps (at least) and players could travel between them (travel points would have circles of power and stepping on them would teleport them to the destination). As big as both the maps were, I don't believe the maps were the same one. But I can try and go find that rpg or something.

Edit: Ok the map I was thinking of was one map. However, a friend of mine says he knows for fact that one of the RPG's he has played had preloaded maps you could travel between. Could the makers possibly have custom coded a script to do this?

Admit

Reaction score
I'm at least 90% certain that they preloaded a couple maps (at least) and players could travel between them (travel points would have circles of power and stepping on them would teleport them to the destination). As big as both the maps were, I don't believe the maps were the same one. But I can try and go find that rpg or something.

Edit: Ok the map I was thinking of was one map. However, a friend of mine says he knows for fact that one of the RPG's he has played had preloaded maps you could travel between.
Edit: Ok the map I was thinking of was one map. However, a friend of mine says he knows for fact that one of the RPG's he has played had preloaded maps you could travel between. Could the makers possibly have custom coded a script to do this?

The only way you can play a preload map that more then 1 player plays at the same time requeres a program (i don't remember the name of the program) and every one that is playing the map needs that program, and it's not possible on B-net. Other then that way it's not possible.

Edit* There's no script that does that. There are game cashes (that can save data from one map and then trasnfer it to a second map, it does however not preload a map, and you can only transfer data in singel player.

Gtam

Lerning how to write and read!! Yeah.
Reaction score
thay just used newgen which alow you to use many diffrent tile sets and used regions and triggers for the moving part

TheCrystal

Reaction score
Impossible outside of 1 player, I played a map that did a twoplayer of the Blizzard tower defense from the campaign, it loaded the next mission in the campaign after victory, my ally was not there.

The maximum size of a map, however unstable, is 480x480 (or around there). That's 4x Epicsize. Unless the map was fucking huge and had over 250 ability levels or some shit like that there's no way you could "definitely know." The most likely thing, as others have said, is camera bounds.

Karthis

Reaction score
Alright, I'll make due with what I can. Shrink down stuff so that the map feels bigger I guess.

TheCrystal

Reaction score
That is most likely your best bet, or make your map possibly unstable due to unknown bugs by expanding the map beyond 256x256 with NewGen. Specific bugs I've found are Blight seems to act oddly beyond the 256x256 limit.

Karthis

Reaction score
There were a couple reasons I wanted to do this:

1) I could create much larger regions, like forests that cover 2 or 3 maps, and I could include massive cities into a couple maps.
2) I could make shops a little more interactive, having playings enter a shop and transporting to a much smaller map which would show them inside the shop where they would talk to a vendor to get items or sell things.

I guess I can still make those large regions if I shrink things down, and I can set aside a small portion of the map to put in shop areas. Player steps on certain location and they are transported to the smaller areas for each shop.

Yoshii

Reaction score
forest that cover 2-3 map? are we talking about epic size map 256x256 here? what you want is way too huge and the map size alone would probably stop you if it werent for the 1 map only.Maybe in SC2 you will be able to do what you want.

TheCrystal

Reaction score
Unless he imported a shitload of stuff, Map Size would not be a problem. But yeah, 256x256 forest areas seem a little excessive. We all have our ideas but small sizing stuff seems the best option in this game.

Karthis

Reaction score
I meant if I could integrate several maps, I wouldn't have to shrink things down. I wouldn't even consider making forests 2 to 3 maps large with load times and shrinking things down, lol

duckne55

Reaction score
Hmm space command is a map that shrunk stuff down (the grass was huge lol), and survival is an excellent map which makes use of cameras.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.