Looking for Data-Editors

haxic

Reaction score
Hi, this is a recruitement thread.

I am currently working on a map inspired by Alien Swarm and a Half-Life mod called Natural Selection. I have more or less finished designing the map; terrain and pathing, all it needs now is some tweaking. Right now I'm working with the triggers, but I need someone experianced to edit the data; editing units, creating abilities and similiar.

You or those that join this project will be given full credit, you will be added as a creator of the map. My idea is to create a team of 2 or more. All your ideas are most welcome and you will also make decisions, for as long as those stick to the original idea of the map.

I would categories the map as; team deathmatch, with strategy flavour.

To sum up the gameplay:

• Terran vs Zerg, 7vs7.
  • Every player control 1 unit each.
  • Control style is similiar to Alien Swarm, platform tps (your camera is far above your unit looking down at it).
  • Move your unit using W/S/A/D, north, south, west, east and diagonal.
  • Your unit face the center of your screen (IT IS NOT FPS!).
  • Use mouse keys to fire, and additional keyboard keys for other commands, reload, abilities etc.
  • Gain resources by building automatic Refineries and Extractors on vespene gas nodes.
  • Build defensive structures, tech buildings, upgrade centers etc.
  • (Terran) Equip and upgrade weapons, armours and grenades.
  • (Zerg) Evolve into nastier creatures, research and upgrade abilities, spread creep to benefit your team and crawl through the ventilation system to make suprise attacks or to get across the map faster.
  • Use teamplay and strategy to beat the opponent team.

I hope you are interested. This map is real :)

PM me or post in this thread if you got questions or are interested in joining.

//Haxic

Zaraf

Reaction score
No offense, but this map is going to fail. For 3 reasons:

1) 7v7 players is almost never going to be played enough to gain popularity. The higher the player count for a map, the less likely and harder it is to raise in popularity.

2) You're using WASD controls. Fail. WASD controls on Bnet are terrible. All maps with WASD have failed when it came down to it. One or two may have remained popular for a few days, but that was it. None of them have maintained popularity.

3) Your gameplay is pretty much a type of a hero arena game, but your terrain is HUGE. Even if you got 14 people playing, players wouldn't encounter each other enough to actually kill fast and have a lot of action. Most of the game would be spent just running around trying to find enemies. Fail. Double fail for searching for enemies using WASD controls.

Not trying to discourage you, but it's better for you to be realistic than to pour tons of time and effort into a map that is doomed to fall hard. If you aren't concerned about popularity and just want to make this map for yourself, then that's different. But you should let your prospective members know this fact, since they are likely to want the map to become popular.

Arkless

Reaction score

1) 7v7 players is almost never going to be played enough to gain popularity. The higher the player count for a map, the less likely and harder it is to raise in popularity.
If you manage to make the map known, it will be played none the less. And don't take the popularity system for final, Blizzard said they are working at it.
2) You're using WASD controls. Fail. WASD controls on Bnet are terrible. All maps with WASD have failed when it came down to it. One or two may have remained popular for a few days, but that was it. None of them have maintained popularity.
Quote from a blue post:
>>(Bibendus) - Are you going to fix the keyboard/mouse control lag? 90% of custom games are ruined by this.
>>
>>We will be improving keyboard and mouse control in a future patch, but we can't match the responsiveness of an FPS game with an authoritative server. Keyboard-based unit movement should be as responsive as issuing move orders with the mouse after these changes.

3) Your gameplay is pretty much a type of a hero arena game, but your terrain is HUGE. Even if you got 14 people playing, players wouldn't encounter each other enough to actually kill fast and have a lot of action. Most of the game would be spent just running around trying to find enemies. Fail. Double fail for searching for enemies using WASD controls.
Oh come on, that's just ballance, it's not like you can't change the terrain/the mapsize after testing it for a bit.
Not trying to discourage you, but it's better for you to be realistic than to pour tons of time and effort into a map that is doomed to fall hard. If you aren't concerned about popularity and just want to make this map for yourself, then that's different. But you should let your prospective members know this fact, since they are likely to want the map to become popular.

Well, but I can't help you as an editor. I a creating some towers for elemental td to test the data editor but I am a scripter to the core.

You should try doing the data editor stuff yourself, it's not really hard, just a lot of testing and playing around and everything will come by itself !

haxic

Reaction score

What you wrote isn't disencouraging to me, because I am well aware of those issues. However, you might be disencouraging the people I need for the project.

I had plans to add an option, so that the players can choose between a couple of fixed areas, a random area or the full map area. This would contribute with both variaty and freedom.

I will also tweak the map so that there will be strategic points, which combat will be drawn towards.

There are a lot of different things I could do with the map if my main idea fails, the possibilites are endless, but right now I'm focusing on the current.

I havn't tried my own WSAD and mouse look controls online yet, but I will. For my WSAD movement I use x/y input and an arctan function to calculate in what direction the unit should move. By doing this I remove loops in loops and countless "if then else" actions that, I have seen, many other maps use in both Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2.

Anyway, I want critics and ideas, not demoralizing words, please.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.