Macs aren't overpriced -- I have proof!

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
Apple wouldn't make any money off their hardware, they'd only have the OS, which wouldn't be that popular -- they'd lose everything.

so right now, apple makes money off their hardware, but if they let others sell the same hardware, they couldn't make any money - maybe because their hardware is more expensive and overpriced?

and now il switch my position - why wouldn't their OS be popular? it's the entire reason that people put up with their high hardware prices

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I found it on a couple of other sites that sell computer parts, if you are talking about the graphics card that is

I am actually going to return to the 4th of the stationary computers.
You have made a complete screw up in that selection somewhere, if I put only the specs you have put there with a graphics card that matches the 5770 better I get a total of "$4,844.00", and that is with windows 7 included.
Where you get the other $400 from I don't understand.
It is still the best comparison there is, but try to be more exact next time
Oh ok, I'm guessing you're talking about the Dell dual 2.66 six-core, in which case, with the 1 TB HD, stock graphics card, 6GB RAM, it should come to 5.2k -- is that what you used exactly?
so right now, apple makes money off their hardware, but if they let others sell the same hardware, they couldn't make any money - maybe because their hardware is more expensive and overpriced?
Why? If you can get OS X on a PC no one will buy Macs anymore. Could they still sell their computers with OS X? Yes, but they'd have to bring the prices down a bit -- remember most Macs are more expensive, it just isn't by a landslide (my point) -- the laptops (really the 15/17") are significantly more expensive though -- but, you pay for the battery life in a machine that powerful.
and now il switch my position - why wouldn't their OS be popular? it's the entire reason that people put up with their high hardware prices
Maybe it will, who knows. But even so, they don't really make much money off their OS.

The Snow Leopard upgrade was $29, the box set was $259, but included both iLife and iWork 09. I.E, they are just forcing you to buy those with the OS.
(Upgrade disc was in no way different from the retail disc, I.E, you could buy the $29 upgrade and install the full version of SL on 50,000 computers) -- Apple doesn't use licensing like Microsoft.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Haha, naww. You've never seen the insides of one (The Mac Pro, lol). I seldom use the word for women also, however, in terms of a computer, it means clean and tidy.
macpro_westmere2010.jpg

To me that looks like crap that was made for someone who doesn't want to learn anything about computers.

I like seeing my gadgets and that's why I have a window on my tower and don't have a bunch of boxes hiding all the hardware.

I refer to code that is readable, concise, and well written as 'beautiful'. Just because you don't refer to something in some way doesn't mean it's improper usage.

Does your code dev have a keynote like this? :p

[YOUTUBE]Nx7v815bYUw[/YOUTUBE]

Samael88

Evil always finds a way
Reaction score
Oh ok, I'm guessing you're talking about the Dell dual 2.66 six-core, in which case, with the 1 TB HD, stock graphics card, 6GB RAM, it should come to 5.2k -- is that what you used exactly?

There I used your links and tried to match the computers as good as possible, I had to check some of the graphics cards, but mostly the PC turned out a couple of hundred dollars cheaper^^ But they are pretty close and that is just because DELL are so damn expensive compared to most of its alternatives.

Samuraid

Advisor
Reaction score
That's pretty good, you're not using the estimated calculations the batteries give you though are you?

I am, because they turned out to actually be reasonably indicative of how much battery life I get (provided I'm not running a game).

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
I am, because they turned out to actually be reasonably indicative of how much battery life I get (provided I'm not running a game).
All right, I'll let you know what mine says too.
There I used your links and tried to match the computers as good as possible, I had to check some of the graphics cards, but mostly the PC turned out a couple of hundred dollars cheaper^^ But they are pretty close and that is just because DELL are so damn expensive compared to most of its alternatives.
Hmmm, when I upgrade it. I go to CPU and select dual 2.66GHz 6-core, to memory and select 6 GB RAM, and to hard drive and select 1 TB 7200 RPM which comes to 5.2k -- I never touched the GPU on the Dell fyi. Are you in the US Dell store? or another one?
To me that looks like crap that was made for someone who doesn't want to learn anything about computers.
Aaah! See I love that, I know computers fine, but there isn't any mess, no cables, etc.
I like seeing my gadgets and that's why I have a window on my tower and don't have a bunch of boxes hiding all the hardware.
Fair enough, I'm the opposite, I like it to look neat -- but, I think it is easily arguable that changing parts in the Mac Pro would be somewhat easier, no?

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
which is exactly my point - the only reason people buy macs is for the OS, not the hardware, because the hardware is overpriced
It's not just that, it's the combination of the two -- they go together. Apple uses a small range of parts in their systems, so OS X has less hardware to deal with -- makes a happy pair. But yes, OS X is the main draw of Mac, after all -- although the machines themselves are nice.

I agree that Macs are more expensive in general, some "overpriced" as you put it, however, for some, the difference is only minor.

I still take the view point that the 17" MBP isn't really overpriced (most expensive Mac in comparison), any comparable laptop to it always has significantly less battery life -- obviously if you don't care about that, then it isn't for you, but nonetheless, unless another laptop offers the same, similar, or better specs, as well as that battery life, it has value.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
I still take the view point that the 17" MBP isn't really overpriced (most expensive Mac in comparison), any comparable laptop to it always has significantly less battery life -- obviously if you don't care about that, then it isn't for you, but nonetheless, unless another laptop offers the same, similar, or better specs, as well as that battery life, it has value.

there is enough difference as far as size goes for that 15" envy to get a super-huge battery and have its size bumped up to 17" such that it can match the MBP in battery life..

Icyculyr

I'm a Mac
Reaction score
there is enough difference as far as size goes for that 15" envy to get a super-huge battery and have its size bumped up to 17" such that it can match the MBP in battery life..
Well, we have a better comparison now. It seems the Envy 15 and 17 have been combined, Envy 15 no longer exists, for the moment anyway. I've updated my OP.

The specs of the 17" are a little better -- with the 5850M 1GB and 6GB RAM, however, as I said, with a 6-cell battery it only gets up to 2.5 hours of battery life, you can pay an additional $75 (50% off) for a 6-cell and 9-cell extender, so you'll get up to 7.25 hours of battery life. This thing also weighs 7.5 pounds vs ~5.5, without the extender.

The main page of the 17" says you can upgrade from the 6-cell to a 9-cell (for up to 3.75 hours of battery life), not that you can get an extender -- I'm not sure which is right.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.