Major Problem

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
So anyways, for the second time in 6 months, i blew something up in my computer. :(

Anyways, i traveled from Denver today, and moved back to montana. I plugged in my computer, it seemed to be running fine. So i start to play some half-life after letting it run for a little while (30 min.) Soon into the game, my computer just flat DIES, everything goes off. Not 3 seconds later i hear a loud pop, like a firecracker went off. So in a hurry, i removed the cover. I smell burning coming off from inside the case. I track the smell to the power supply.

So my question is, how likely is it that if a power supply (blows up?) is ruined, what is the chances of it ruining the rest of my system? I did not see any problems with the rest of it, also no burning smells from the rest of it (mobo, cpu, ram, etc).

Next question, 2 months ago, i was at Best Buy and had them check out this EXACT same power supply. They said it would work fine under my system (no changes were made to the system in two months), that there was NO problems with it whatsoever (i didnt have a tester, so i made them do it). So do i have the right to force Best Buy to buy me a new power supply, or atleast get a refund of my money ($40 ish?)

Sargon

Reaction score
Bring them the remains of the power supply. That should do it.

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
Problem is, i live in montana now, closest best buy is 250 miles away. However, -edit- i don't have the reciept... got everyone but that one, because i paid in cash. So... i guess there's really no point in the Best Buy cause, if i don't have a reciept (basically my only proof)

Secondly, on the Antec Power Supply's (i'm not to up to date with the newer ATX style power supplies), what is a dual 12 V? Also, are ALL/MOST Antec PSU's silent/very quiet?

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
the only times i seen a psu "blow" up when people changed the voltage from 220 (what we use here in europe) to 110 ...

for the rest i seen tons of psu's dead and you could most of the times smell something burned in the back of the case

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
Yah, it just got ruined, it didn't literally blow up. I was wondering if the inside of the thing blew up (since i heard the sound like a firecracker), i'm going to take it apart tonight and check it out.

Either ways, i bought a new Antec 450 W SmartPower 2.0. It looks like it's exactly what i want. Also i encluded a SATA DVD-R for my pleasure :).

M

Mark YBARBO

best pw supply

Turbo case Aspire AS500watt 12 volt 60 bucks outpost.com you will never have a problem again its kinda exp but make sure the slide switch is set right

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.