Making 1 Armor give 1% Damage Reduction

Miwabo

Reaction score
The title says it. I've tried going through the Gamplay Constants and making the Armor Damage Reduction Multiplier 1 instead of 0.6, but after about 9 Armor, units start to receive significantly less damage reduction than the Armor that is shown. For example, with an Armor Damage Reduction Multiplier of 1, a character with 67 Armor only receives 40% damage reduction.

Is there any way to make the Armor/damage reduction conversion 1 for 1?

Jinxx

Reaction score
Not 100% sure, but I think the armor values in W3 follow a logarithmic, not a linear scale (this tapers off at the higher end of the spectrum to about 78% physical mitigation... again, not too sure about the maximum value).

I guess it could be possible to have a linear progression, but you'd need to code the whole thing with triggers, which is something I get the feeling you'd rather not be forced to do.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. :p

ThePlague

Reaction score
First off I dont think its logarithmic. Logarithms have no limit and therefore u could go over 100% reduction. Im pretty sure its some sort of function with a hyperbolic curve with a limit at 100%

but anyways...

only way to do what you want would be to trigger it so that you get extra armor (based off how much armor you should have) so that percent matches up.

In other words. If the unit had 40 armor you would have to make a trigger give it 67 armor (just an example) so that it actually had 40% armor.

I'll see if i can find the armor reduction function and post it here.

Edit: Here it is.{ 6x / (1+0.06x) % } x being the armor number

Dirac

Reaction score
I think is impossible to reach 100% armor reduction, since a hero with 6000 armor has only 99%... Trigger the whole armor stuff ;)

Nivius

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
why not make "armor" useless and put in the damage reduction u can get from skill/items?

like, an armor saying it gives 5 armor, but it gives 5%+5armor insted, and ust make that armor useless... problem is that it whont shop up when u put ur mouse over the armor...

but u get my point i guess, also u culd prob make it a trigger, checking out the armor ur hero gets from stats and transforming that to an invisable passive damage reduction skill

I think is impossible to reach 100% armor reduction, since a hero with 6000 armor has only 99%... Trigger the whole armor stuff ;)

its possigle to get 100%, bu u still take some damage... like u prob realy have 99.78% damage reduction or somthing, as reaching a true 100% shuld not be possible

bOb666777

Stand against the ugly world domination face!
Reaction score
Each armor point gives X% damage reduction of what you're actually taking now.
So if you already have 50% damage reduction, having 1% more will result in having 50.5%. The formula would be a%*101%=b, a being the current reduction and b being the reduction with 1 more point. I don't know what this is called, but it's definately not linear. Pretty sure it's parabolic or something like that.

Basically, you do take 1% less per point, except its not 1% of the total, it's 1% after reduction.

ThePlague

Reaction score
Maybe instead of using armor you can use the skill mountain giants have? (i forget the name) It reduces damageby a set number, there might be a way to set that to be a %

Miwabo

Reaction score
Well, basically all that I want to do is have an item that gives an aura that doubles your damage reduction. Right now I have an item that doubles your Armor, but when 67 Armor is added to 67 Armor, instead of being 80% DR like I want it to be, it's 59% (or something along those lines).

I assumed that the Armor Damage Reduction Multiplier would be the easiest way to do this, though I suppose I was wrong. Is there a way to double damage reduction for any unit that's affected by the aura without messing with the Gameplay Constants?

(I also have units that have their DR at 10% and 20%, with their Armor being 11 and 25 respectively. With the aura, I'd also like their damage reductions to double.)

Thanks for the prior posts by the way.

TideOfChaos

Reaction score

Well, it does reach 100% infact, you just need to push it enough.

Anyway, the desired effect can be Triggered, but without a custom system checking the armor of a unit for you (it cannot be check with Triggers, or JASS I think) this will become very tricky.

However, just changing the Gameplay constants will never work.

TideOfChaos

Reaction score
Night Elves Elune's Grace. It's like a passive defend. You can adjust the damage taken %

I think people need to relise how inpracticle ideas like this is.
It works fine yes? But there is no easy (or moderate to hard) way to make it increase or decrease as the armor does.

Example:
I have a hero that has 20 armor, therefore, I want the damage resitance to equal 20% yes? Can I do this with Triggers - no.
Why not?
Because there is no way of checking a unit's armor.

Oh, ok, I can just make each heroes damage resistence level equal there starting armor, and increase it with every level.
But what if the Hero aquires an item that increases armor?
Simple, I check for the item, and increase the level as needed.
So what if the Hero gains an agility bonus? Or what if they are effected by an Aura or spell? Or if it gains an upgrade?
I hadn't thought about that.
No you hadn't.

As I said, you can get close to what you want, but not excatly I'm afraid.

MasterOfRa

Reaction score
Every point of armor basicly increases your units effective hitpoints by 6%. I made a speadsheet that showed this. if you change the armor factor, it changes the percentage to the value you change it to.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.