Making unit selectable, uncontrollable (by triggers)

Necrach

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Basically, what I want is to make a unit have selection enabled but control disabled, for a short period of time. Like having the Ward classification, but I cannot find a way to add that via triggers.

If there is no solution for this, what's the best way of making it totally uncontrollable for a period of time? Adding Locust ability? (and what was the line for that, again :p)

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Play the walk animation and pause the unit.

That will make him selectable, but unmovable.

You might also want to give him invulnerability so he doesn't die or what-have-you.

Necrach

Reaction score
Ah, but the unit should be able to move (to continue a move order issued by trigger right before it gets impossible to control for a while). Will that be possible if the unit is paused? :eek:

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
You could make it play walk animation and "slide" towards the ordered point at the unit's current walk speed. However, that would be buggy. Otherwise, I can't think of any other way off the top of my head.

HydraRancher

Truth begins in lies
Reaction score
Ah, but the unit should be able to move (to continue a move order issued by trigger right before it gets impossible to control for a while). Will that be possible if the unit is paused? :eek:

Wait, you said right before it becomes impossible. So why can't you just pause it like Sevion mentioned at first?

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Change ownership to Neutral Passive? (This disallows group-selection of the unit and proper allocation of bounty from kills, though.)

Morph the unit to an equivalent unit-type that has the Ward classification? (Sadly you can't add/remove Ward through triggers.)

[ljass]call UnitAddAbility(whichUnit, 'Aloc')[/ljass] immediately followed by [ljass]call UnitRemoveAbility(whichUnit, 'Aloc')[/ljass] will disallow selection and leave the unit attackable, but will also allow the unit to walk over any terrain and not collide with other units, and is a pain to restore the unit fully to normal.

Necrach

Reaction score
Ah yes, a paused unit will continue orders its given? Of course :D Doesn't have my editor here, just planning ahead. Too long since I mapped wc3 :p

Morphing/ownership change is not good in this case, because there might be a hero involved and that complicates things! You've all been helpful, I'll get to my editor later today and try to finish the trigger :eek:

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
Couldn't you just have a trigger that stops the unit whenever it is given an order?

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
what kind of a map is it? if is single player... maybe make a cinematic... but no zooming in or anything... just keep the current view...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.