Map In Production

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
Okay, as many of you probably have seen my numerous other threads about various questions and such, I've decided to release information on my new (unnamed, Im just calling spaceship unnoficially for now) map.

Story
About a month ago, a Scout Shuttle, The Andrani went missing from it's course on the return trip from an uncharted sector where it had been sent to gather intelligence on the varios planet's composition and habitability. The last reports from the captain's log to reach fleet command stated that they were sending a shuttle to the surface of a small planet to investigate "Possible Life Signs". Since then there have been no further contact. You are part of a Marine group sent in to investigate the dissapearance of the crew, or you are part of a group of aliens that have infested the ship and killed the crew.

Gameplay
This will be a FPS (first person shooter). I did not want to actually comeout and say that it would be a FPS until I was sure that I could do it. After spendig the last five days or so working on it, I think I may have gotten the camera system that I'm sticking with. You will be able to shoot at the enemies using abilities and Im deciding on whether having an ammo system.

Besides bieng a FPS, this map will have two teams, "Aliens" and "Marines". The marine objective is to get to eliminate all of the aliens which infest the ship. The Alien objective is to eliminate all of the marines.

There will be varios items scattered throughout the ship that give added bonuses to alien or marine and some that are race sensitive. In addition to this items I may also have it so that your marine is a hero, able to do other abilities other than the basic "Fire" I have right now.

Terrain
I have made a Custom Floor Tile and downloaded custom wall and floor tiles so that it would feel like the inside of a spaceship.
ScreenShots
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/ShadowSnipe4/Warcraft/Bio-Dome.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/ShadowSnipe4/Warcraft/Cafeteria.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/ShadowSnipe4/Warcraft/Cold-Storage-Area.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/ShadowSnipe4/Warcraft/Corridor.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/ShadowSnipe4/Warcraft/Docking-Bay.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/ShadowSnipe4/Warcraft/Power-Plant.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/ShadowSnipe4/Warcraft/Torn-apart-containment-cont.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/ShadowSnipe4/Warcraft/Alien-Containment.jpg

Things to Do
Work on terrain some more. (finishing touches and finish a few areas.)
Make Items and secrets.
Make custom hero abilities other than "Fire" (If I have them)
Ammo System (If enough people say I should add it)
Possibly add in a few random crew members.
Maybe make aliens able to "Disguise" themselves as marines for an added twist.
Make ways to get marines split up for an eerier gameplay.
Fix unit/ability stats.
Create optional quests and things to do other than just kill each other turn on/off power etc.

Help Requests
I need help with coming up with custom abilities, optional quests, items and a name for the map.

S

salempc

About the help thing, you mean ideas or making? If it is ideas I can give some, not too much but my grain of sand. If you mean making abilities and triggering, I can make abilities to a certain extent and I can associate them to triggers if necessary.

BTW: I won't ask you for the trigger code of your FPS camera but i am veeeeery interested in knowing how it works, I mean, a brief summary of the triggers you used.

DM Cross

You want to see a magic trick?
Reaction score
ShadowSnipe4 said:
Help Requests
I need help with coming up with custom abilities, optional quests, items and a name for the map.

Specify if you expect results.

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
By help requests i mean Ideas, my brain hurts from making the camera work. ;)
Also, my camera works by having two units, the one that you are (the marine) and a camera dummy. A periodic timer says that every .05 seconds the camera dummy is moved 64 units in front of the marine and the camera is locked to that camera dummy unit. So basically, the camera is locked onto an invisible unit that is in front of the marine. It's alot more stuff I had to go through to get it to work, but that's the basic concept.

Jazradel

Helping people do more by doing less.
Reaction score
Wow that looks pretty cool.

I'd change some of the doodads though. The flower on the tables in the cafeteria? I would do some more skinning, like changing the table. The cold room looks awesome but again the bookshelves are wierd. Reskin them.

Ohhh I'll be happy to do any triggering you want. If it's not something stupid. Sounds like a cool map though.

S

salempc

ok thx for the camera tips... :D

for ideas, I used these in a marine base hero for another map:

Machinegun: increase attack speed by x% for x seconds (based from berserk)

Shotgun: decrease range to about 200 and decrease attack speed x%. Increase damage by x% or a fixed value.

Sniper: take a bead for 1-2 seconds to shoot a target for high damage.

Also, to enhance team gameplay, a few auras are recommended:

Command Aura, used in the leader if there is one. (not normal command aura (% increase) but an encouraging the team thing, like more movement speed and maybe another bonus)

Regeneration Aura: probably there can be a Medic character.

for Auras that increase % damage, I'm against it as they ruin the realisticness(sp?) of the game, except if you find a way in real life to increase % strength, which I think is impossible.

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
Jazradel said:
Wow that looks pretty cool.

I'd change some of the doodads though. The flower on the tables in the cafeteria? I would do some more skinning, like changing the table. The cold room looks awesome but again the bookshelves are wierd. Reskin them.

Ohhh I'll be happy to do any triggering you want. If it's not something stupid. Sounds like a cool map though.
I was planning on changing stuff, and the flowers were for effect. You think those should go?

Anyways, I've decided on doing an ammo system so that people wont just shoot for the heck of shooting. Should it be mana or lumber/gold?
And thanks for the feedback so far! :D

T

team.ism

I think mana would be best. You could give a unit an ability with a short cooldown value (so it shoots fast) and make it cost 1 mana. Make it autocast. Also make sure you dont give the units mana regen at all. So disable all the constants for heroes per level. Get it?

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Ooh, very nice! Of course, there are issues, but I definitely like the spaceship feel. Much better than all of the other maps I've seen >_>

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
Rinpun said:
Ooh, very nice! Of course, there are issues, but I definitely like the spaceship feel. Much better than all of the other maps I've seen >_>
What issues you mean? Anything that hasnt been stated previously?
Also, ya I was leaning towords mana also. I also played this doom map a few days ago that had a coller shooting system where you shoot by clicking the right mouse button on an enemy and it makes the item in slot 1 cast on that unit. That would also help with the different weapons. As for hero abilities, I was thinking of something along the lines of: Grenade (does splash damage in an area), Sprint (makes unit go % faster), Call Target (creates a symbol obove the targeted unit telling allies where your shooting). Another coupla items that wouldnt be weapons is maybe: Night vision goggles (allows you to see better in the dark, and highlights units), Stim Pack (makes unit have faster reflexes), Ammo Box (Obviosly gives you ammo), Medi Kit (Heals a targeted unit), Flashlight (Illuminates the path in front of you).

Any of these sound good?

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, the issues have been everything stated previously :)

-----

I have a fancy Sprint ability you can use if you want. Uses a dummy unit to cast bloodlust so that you don't have to just use bloodlust as a hero or use a dummy ability and triggering to add speed. Now you use a dummy ability but you trigger it to have the dummy cast it, and this results in the marine gaining the sprint buff as well, which just plain looks cool if you choose the right SE (not the usual attachments to fists as that just gets old).

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
Sounds interesting, I think Im gonna try n' make the abilities on my own withought importing first though. I like to learn as I make maps. :p

Edit: Which is the buff/missile/thing that is used for the SpaceFelorc model?

Edit: Also, is there a way to make an ability miss a percentage of the time?

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
Bump/Update

Okay, anyone got a good name yet?
Also I need some ideas for alien guns (like spines slime etc.)

Terrain on my map is about 80% done, Im starting to make different stuff that you can do ingame. (Turn Power Off, Activate Stuff Etc.)
The camera's are giving me problems because I played with a friend a couple of days ago and they didnt work for multiplayer. (Still working on that though).

Also things are starting to come together, but a main problem is that my school starts up again tomorrow so i wont be able to work on it as much although one of my classes is 3dmedia so I'm looking foreward to that.

Apart from that everything seems to be going along well.

UnknowVector

I come from the net ... My format, Vector.
Reaction score
Greek Legends and Stories... check
Latin Book... check
lets see what i can do with my two favorite naming resorces...

Code:
[U]Alien Weapons[/U]
Scutui Slime (Sheild of Slime)- Makes a wall of slime to blocka passage, when killed it makes the area around it slippery so unis slide on it (Hurts my head to think about that trigger...)

Hydra Cannon- Fires a special alien cannon that shots 9 shots in a sperd in front of the alien (Instant no target, o yea this is a channel based spell)

Gorgen Pyra (Gorgen Pyre)- A mine when triggered it fires 9 shots spred around 360 degrees. If the unit that steps on it is not hit by one it does not take damage.

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
I just recently thought of maybe adding a view vote at the start of my map. Where it would be three choices in a dialog box: First Person View, Third Person View, and Normal View. Where it tallyies the option with the most votes and sets that as the games view. i got this idea when testing earlier and my friend said it would be cooler as third person. Now you can have all three! Sound like a good idea or not?

Also, thanks unknown for the item idead, I might actually use a couple of em if its ok.

S

salempc

Have you played any of the X-COM games? those have very good alien weapons to base your weapons :D

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
I have all the x-coms. XD
But those arn't the kinda weapons I meant. I want the aliens to be more of a biological type thing.

ShadowSnipe4

Reaction score
Bump/Update

Things are going well, I finally got the camera views working WITH MULTIPLAYER, and I'm making alotta stuff for it, like adding in a food area, a water purification area, fixing up a few things and adding more items.

Anyone come up with a name yet? I cant think of anything.

M

mik19

I'm new so don't laugh

How do you get a camera to close up on a specific hero.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
ShadowSnipe4 said:
I just recently thought of maybe adding a view vote at the start of my map. Where it would be three choices in a dialog box: First Person View, Third Person View, and Normal View. Where it tallyies the option with the most votes and sets that as the games view. i got this idea when testing earlier and my friend said it would be cooler as third person. Now you can have all three! Sound like a good idea or not?

Also, thanks unknown for the item idead, I might actually use a couple of em if its ok.

That would be cool, but you should make it were the each person can set it, so everyone doesnt have to have the same ;) So if they dont like one they can use anouther

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.