Monitor Refresh Rates

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
Could anyone enlight me on this matter ? I've read somewhere that low refresh rates could affect gaming performance and give headaches faster. Is this true ? My monitor only supports 60Hz according to the sticker attached to it.

L

LT.Homer Simpson

What type monitor--higher refresh rates do have have better eye candy, but it shouldn"t hurt the system performance.

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
I got an old looking Magitronic 14" monitor. I looked at the sticker on the back and "50Hz - 60Hz" was written. No wonder I was getting headaches and always wanted to log off my computer...

Anyway, would it be safe to set it at 85Hz ? I just did and I went in the monitor settings and it says Frequency 85Hz so it did work and it does seem easier on the eyes.

When I went in the display properties in Windows XP, the "Hide Modes That This Monitor Cannot Display" was checked. 85Hz Was available. Should I take it my monitor can support it ?

By the way, I do know about the refresh rates bug in Windows XP and the NVIDIA GeForce series and I got that fixed.

L

LT.Homer Simpson

It can support it, but for how long I cannot say--It does shorten the monitors life span..Higher refresh rates, ( more so on older models) cause higher heat--which in turn causes shorter life.
it may last for years or a few days.

I have seen small case fans place on the top grill of monitors pulling air thru--a easy mod using a 12 volt case fan and a 12 volt adapter the fan is attached to the top of the monitor sucking air thru the case.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.