Mortar Ability

PrisonLove

Hard Realist
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I wanted to make a mortar-type ability, but don't know how to go about it.

The ability would go as follows

Point-target
Fires a projectile (with a lofty arc) at designated point
Upon impact, cause AoE damage to both enemy and friendly ground units

Also, I would like the projectile to be affected by point defense drone (can be shot down out of the air)

How would I go about making this? I don't need someone to make it for me, just tell me what is needed, I'll figure it out from there.

p.s. I'm new to the data editor, but would like to use it.

Phubar

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Hi! Try to have a look at Siretu's tutorial

http://www.thehelper.net/threads/data-editor-a-vital-guide.151813/

In section 1- "creating Sam's Weapon" to handle the creation of the projectile and attach it to a weapon and all section 2 to figure out how to create AoE effects or target effects.

If you are new with the data editor i suggest to read and practice with all that tutorial.

PS: i'm a nood with data editor so i posted this link instead of giving you some clues :)

Siretu

Starcraft 2 Editor Moderator
Reaction score
And to continue what X-maul and Phubar already mentioned: Start out by making a effect-target ability. Make a launch missile effect(check my data editor tutorial that Phubar linked). Make a damage effect and make it deal AoE damage(check this tutorial for details). Set the launch missile's impact effect to the damage effect.

My data editor tutorial should be enough to make you figure out how to do a point-click ability which fires a projectile that deals AoE damage. When that works, go on to making it go in an arc. Set the mover to a parabola mover like the InfestedTerransWeapon (Unnamed). You can modify the mover later on by messing with the parameters. Here's a full mover reference.

Dave312

Censored for your safe viewing
Reaction score
You may also want to check out the Civilian - Throw Molotov weapon (you will need to have the Campaign dependency loaded). This weapon behaves in a very similar manner to to what you are asking for.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.