My Computer fails to reformat

Fragglez

Reaction score
Hi

I have recently backed up my files to reformat and am at the point where I am ready to reformat now.
The timing of the file backup couldn't have been better, because as i was browsing the daily news here, my computer failed to type after logging in and then shortly after failed to complete any tasks, and then restarted.

I was like... Okay, and then Windows(XP) started to boot up, and when it got to the little "Loading" bar, before it even makes a stroke on progress, i see a flash of a blue screen and then bam, back to restarting the computer goes. It loops itself.

I have been brought up the "start up in safety mode" "load windows last time with settings that worked" and none of them work (including ones i didn't list here)

So I knew at that point, maybe if i try to reformat windows, get a Linux operating system after that, and then make linux my new main operating system (I want windows deleted, after i can burn a linux CD). Maybe that would be the solution.

So my priorities:
My first objective was to get Windows installed again

The problem with this:
I cannot reformat because the WindowsXP CD cannot be read by my Hard drive (Western Digital 120GB HDD SATA) - It says it is unexistant. I have pressed F6 to install a 3rd party SATA/RAID via my floppy disk ( otherwise Windows cannot read the hard drive)

The Floppy Disk however has an error on it, making me unable to reformat windows, So I need the drivers again.

The Mission:
I do not have a working floppy disk, making me unable to reformat. I need new, un-corrupt (whatever it is, just want free of errors) drivers for WindowsXP to read my CD to reformat!

I do not know where to obtain these exact files.

Post-mission:
What Linux system is best for someone who wants to use Linux but is windows familiar and has a GUI Interface?

A few notes (& a repeat):
My HDD : Western Digital 120GB HDD SATA
My Motherboard: Asus A8V Deluxe
Rep for those who help will be given out!

And for those who wonder how I'm typing this, I'm on a different computer.

Thanks, all help is appreciated :)

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like your hard disk has died not your OS. You will not be able to reformat if the disc is bad. Check this by removing the hard drive from your computer and see if it can be accessed from another computer. You don't have to install it as a primary drive and boot from it to test this. You just need to be able to access it and if you can you want to run a scandisk on it.

Fragglez

Reaction score
I am sure the hard-drive works, it's just my computer will not recognize my hard drive to reformat

I need the drivers for my floppy :/

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
How are you sure your hard drive works? Did you take it out and try it on another computer? Not recognizing your hard drive is not a symptom of not having the right driver, I am sorry to say.

You set your hard disk and floppy disk type in the BIOS.

Fragglez

Reaction score
Because my brother, who also has the exact same PC specs as me, cannot reformat either but still has a working Hard Drive.

Even if it is fried and i have to buy a new one, I'll still have the error with my PC being unable to read the Hard Drive. So I still need drivers for the PC to read my HD.

Now responding to the BIOS; I don't know how to set it up to read it like that.

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
What controller is this disk attached to?

Windows XP/Vista need a special driver diskette (F6-key on setup) if you're using AHCI (only XP) or a weird RAID/SATA chip.

Fragglez

Reaction score
What controller is this disk attached to?

Windows XP/Vista need a special driver diskette (F6-key on setup) if you're using AHCI (only XP) or a weird RAID/SATA chip.

We're XP.

When my computer (and my brothers) were built, our friend told us we needed a floppy to make our hard-drive recognizable. It is RAID/SATA.

As for what controller, I have no idea what you mean :(

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
raid setup requires a driver indeed.

does your brother not have a floppy with the driver ? (since u both have the same machine)

if you still have the cd wich came with the mainboard it might have the driver on the cd (tho u will still need a floppy )

if we think futher .. if you know what mainboard you have you shouldbe able to download the driver from the manufacturer and put them on a floppy

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
When my computer (and my brothers) were built, our friend told us we needed a floppy to make our hard-drive recognizable. It is RAID/SATA.

Why don't use ask your friend?

Otherwise, make your choice: it's either connected to the integrated VT8237 (southbridge) or the dedicated SATA378.
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=A8V Deluxe

These packages should contain a subdirectory (containing the file "txtsetup.oem") which you can copy to a blank floppy disk. You have to pick the correct architecture and Windows version.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.