My Nuon Games & Demos CD

L

landsmarra

I just got the above CD I ordered thru Cafepress. However, it won't boot. These are all the files that are on the CD:

bootload.dat
nuon.cd
doom.wad
level1.pcm
level2.pcm
level3.pcm
level4.pcm
level5.pcm

Did I get a bum CD? It seems there should be a whole lot more that this on the CD!

Xentorians

Reaction score
That file structure looks like it will only bootup the Doom port wich is freely available here and didn't boot up on my 501. I haven't recently checked but i recall there being quite a bunch of files and folders on the cd to boot up the various games and demos. I'm almost sure you got a bad cd.

K3V

NUON-Dome Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, that's the correct file structure. With the bootloader, the majority of the content gets packed into the bootload.dat file, which is why it's 32+ MB.

L

landsmarra

No, that's the correct file structure. With the bootloader, the majority of the content gets packed into the bootload.dat file, which is why it's 32+ MB.

Really? Interesting...

I know that when you use the bootloader to create your own multiple-application CD, you have to have folders for each game/file as well as an applist.txt file.

L

landsmarra

OK, just got a replacement CD from Cafepress and it has the exact same file structure. It also does not play in my N501 but that's probably a player issue.

Just to verify, if someone has this CD and it works for them, can they please let me know if it has the file structure mentioned at the beginning of this thread?

I hate not being able to use this CD!

Thanks!

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
Kev, did we put a padding file on the disc? I wonder if that would help in this case.

The first version of the boot loader did use separate directories for each application, but I changed it later to pack everything into one file.

The file structure looks correct, but I won't be able to verify for sure until I get home and check my CD.

Do any homebrew games work for you?

What you could try is copying the files off the Games & Demos disc and burning a new disc with the files, only this time include a dummy file at the beginning.

L

landsmarra

OK, I took the files from the Games & Demos CD, added a 120Mb MPEG file renamed "A" for padding, burned it with Discjuggler at 1X in Mode 1 with Close Disc checked and the N501 still won't boot it.

I'm assuming at this point it's the drive. I did fool with the little adjustment screw on the drive itself labeled "CD" but that didn't help.

Anyone got an N501 for sale that boots homebrews? ;o)

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be anything in particular. Make it about 50MB and make sure it gets burned first. Meaning, add the dummy file first when creating the session in your dvd burning software. Also, make the dummy file come first alphabetically.

L

landsmarra

So you mean I should try again with a smaller padding file?

As I mentioned, I renamed the file "A" and added it first in the authoring software so it appeared first in the list in Discjuggler. Burned it at 1X.

Besides the size of the file I used, does my procedure sound otherwise correct?

Thanks again for your feedback!

L

landsmarra

Thanks for the verification!

Once again, is anyone selling a good, working, burned-CD-playin' N501?

Thanks!

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
I just got the above CD I ordered thru Cafepress. However, it won't boot. These are all the files that are on the CD:

bootload.dat
nuon.cd
doom.wad
level1.pcm
level2.pcm
level3.pcm
level4.pcm
level5.pcm

Did I get a bum CD? It seems there should be a whole lot more that this on the CD!

I just verified against my CD. That is the correct file structure.

L

landsmarra

Thank you, Skah, for checking!

I guess I'll be on the lookout for another 501 and hope it's in better shape than mine.

Xentorians

Reaction score
I just now checked my CD and IT IS the correct file structure, but mine boots up just fine without a dummy file. Maybe you should try to burn one of the games you can download here to see if it'll work. Maybe your player doesn't wanna read big bootload files. Ive used all kinds of cheap cd's like staples brand to better ones like Sony, philips, TDK and others. Ive never been able to NOT boot anything. From my experience the 501 should boot many types of media. Maybe you could also try to clean the lens. Maybe also try the firmware upgrade for the 501 if it doesn't already have it.

L

landsmarra

OK, I finally picked up another N501 on eBay. It was kinda scratched up but I just swapped the front and the lid from my other 501. This one booted a CDR about 2 out of every 10 tries so I was still suitably frustrated. So I opened up the unit and fiddled with the "CD" adjustment screw under the laser. I just adjusted it a very small amount at a time and it's now booting the Games & Demos CD more often than not!

I've tried burning the ISO firmware update file from this site onto a CD at 1X and the player won't load it. Maybe I'll try the "drag and drop" files instead.

doctorclu

NUON Lover!
Reaction score
How are things now?

Is the demo disc working better since these messages were written? Can I expect a 8 in 10 times for me to try to load the demo disc if the N501 I get is in good shape?

Skah T

Former VML engineer
Reaction score
The disc itself hasn't changed. I believe most people can use it without problems, but there are a few that have trouble. I know, not very useful info, but it's all I have.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.