Tutorial Natural Environments (advanced terrain)

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
the fog wasnt ment to be looked at from that angle, thats why it looks like that. i placed everything looking from the camera view >.>

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
well you get an +Approve from me! now all i need is to become a mod!
P.S my terrain is uber smexi!

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
It is. But now you need to find a way to incorporate things like villages and structures into it. That bit's kinda hard, but it's the most fun.

Reaction score
I understand that it looks very nice with the fog and the waterfall and the excessive custom doodads and such, but I don't see how this knowledge can be applied to actual maps. It might look nice in screenshots or maybe in a cinematic map, but if I was actual playing a map with terrain like this I don't think I would be overly impressed.

I'm not saying this is a bad tutorial, just that this sort of "advanced terraining" is of debatable use..

Larcenist

REP: Respect, Envy, Prosperity?
Reaction score
Would depend totally on what kind of map this acually is that you're talking about. Say you are using FPS camera for your map, then I believe this could give an enchanting effect. On the other hand wouldn't this work in any regular melee/arena/AoS/etc maps that doesn't use customized camera angle.

Jedimindtrixxx

┻━┻ ︵ ¯\(ツ)/¯ ︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
you could use it as a cine in your game, just to make a scene there and make it off-limits for actually going there

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
I understand that it looks very nice with the fog and the waterfall and the excessive custom doodads and such, but I don't see how this knowledge can be applied to actual maps. It might look nice in screenshots or maybe in a cinematic map, but if I was actual playing a map with terrain like this I don't think I would be overly impressed.

I'm not saying this is a bad tutorial, just that this sort of "advanced terraining" is of debatable use..

It looks great in cinematics. Also, even in maps, (minus the fog bit) it looks good.

And anyways, this isn't really for maps tbh. It's just for creating pictures in the world editor. It's like art kinda (more popular at the hive...).

2-P

I will work hard tomorrow
Reaction score
You need to link to the UTM3 (preferably at the beginning) if you use it in your tutorial.
The camera section is nice, but you could make it less confusing. Like telling that the only things you need to use a camera for are Z Offset, Roll (just demonstrate it with 2 screenshots?) and Field of View. Right now it's not clear why and for what you have to use the camera editor.
I don't get what you mean with "but for the sake of being efficient". oO

A section about tinting/choosing doodads would be very useful. You know, to make them aware that custom models often don't fit together. Because that's what you almost always see when someone starts using imports.

The whole tile section is personal taste I guess...

Besides that, yay!

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
So um... how long will it take for this to get reviewed by a moderator? Are they always this slow? D:

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I suggest that you update the tutorial with some of the things that 2-P pointed out to get this submission approved faster.

- Update your submission regularly

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.