New to World Editor

A-SM

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm new to World Editor, I've been playing DotA for at least 3 years. It's true that DotA is an excellent game, but lately I began to think to create my own little map. But I'm a little confused with Jass Script and the GUI trigger. I have a little knowledge about algorithm, although it's in Java. But I think it's not that big difference with Jass's. Well, lets go to the question. I have finished my first GUI trigger which will increase the Ring of Regeneration charges everytime we pick the the same item. But I'm confused when it comes to creating a trigger which will display the damage dealt, my logic says that the trigger will have to do something like this:

Code:
-Event
A unit is attacked
-Condition
None
-Action
Set varA = Attacked Unit's current life (before getting hit)
Set varB = Attacked Unit's current life (after getting hit)
Create floating text above attacked unit that reads VarA-VarB
Wait 0.30
Destroy last floating text

Well, I didn't find a way to create the varA, since it will always come to current life after getting hit.
And how to create a floating text which has a rising motion?

ultimate11

Reaction score
Event that u are using is no good.Unit attaked register the attacking and attacked unit and the damaged or damagind unit no.
so u need the event like
Trigger:
  • Paladin(ex. unit) take damage //wich is a specific unit event

Weep damage detection is very good in order to manipulate this type of triggers cuz u dont need to add the damage detection trigger new event to each unit u want to "index"
for your knowleadge what u can do without weep DDG is.
create a trigger named DDG with no coditions or event
Trigger:
  • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Floating text - <span style="font-family: 'Consolas'">Create floating text above (triggering unit) that reads VarA-VarB</span>
      • Floating text - (last created floating text) disable permanence
        • Floating text - Set (last created floating text) lifespam to 3 sec.

And the second one
Trigger:
  • Events
    • A unit is attacked
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If conditions then actions
        • Conditions
          • Custom value of triggering unit =! 1
        • Actions
          • Set custom value of (triggering unit) to 1
          • Trigger - Add to (DDG_trigger) event (Triggering unit take damage)
        • Else
      • If conditions then actions
        • Conditions
          • Custom value of attacking unit =! 1
        • Actions
          • Set custom value of (attacking unit) to 1
          • Trigger - Add to (DDG_trigger) event (Attacking unit take damage)
        • Else

Cheers :)

A-SM

Reaction score
Hei, the GDD script has the same problem as my self-experimental GUI Trigger. In which if I show the damage above the attacked unit, it will not show a correct value if there's more than 1 source of damaged unit. Anyway to fix it?
And yes, here's another questions to bother you with (duh):
  1. Is there a GUI Trigger which allow us to detect/modify Attack Speed, Armor, etc?
  2. Can we use Trigger to change damage type of unit (example, from normal to chaos)?
  3. How to create an ability which only last for 1 hit? Like Critical Hit last for 1 hit after the ability is activated, like Raigor's Enchant Totem.
  4. Same as number 3, but this time for buff. The buff's gone after getting hit, Like Atropos's Nightmare.

keychup

Reaction score
1: Enchant Totem: Use an orb or a Buff Placer to detect contact between your hero's attack and the target. When your hero casts the spell, use a Dummy Unit to cast Inner Fire for % bonus of damage. When your hero's attack connects to the enemy (you will know that your hero's attack connects when the enemy gets the debuff from your orb/buff placer) you can remove the debuff from the target then remove the enchant totem buff from your hero.

2: Out of my league

3: None. But you have the option of adding and removing item abilities such as gloves of haste's attack speed bonus and ring of protection's armor bonus. You can also use Sorceress' Slow ability to lower a unit's attack speed for a duration, and use Howl of Terror for armor reduction.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
1. No and no, but only if you're talking about trigger actions. You can add abilities to units via triggers that give the increase/decrease.

2. Not for the unit itself. You can, however, change the unit-type of the unit with a Chaos ability, which can change the unit's attack type.

3/4. Use any instant-cast ability that places a buff. When the unit deals/takes damage, check for the buff. If the buff is present, trigger your special effects (bonus damage, splash damage, damage block etc.) and remove the buff from the unit.

A-SM

Reaction score
Keychup: For number 3, you mean using spellbook right? Add ability to spellbook when the required conditions are met, and remove it if the conditions are not met. Am I right?

KaerkNomekop: For number 2,you mean that I have to create two unit for each hero, one with normal damage type and the other one with chaos damage type. When the required conditions are met, remove the normal-damage unit and add chaos-damage unit with the same level, skills, and item as the normal-unit does. Is it?
Well, it reminds me of something. If we cannot change the damage type, how's about disabling attack type? I mean in object editor in unit section, all units have two attack combat, attack 1 and attack 2. How's about setting the attack 1 to normal and attack 2 to chaos, but start with only attack 1 enabled. And when the required conditions are met, disable the attack type 1 and enable attack type 2. It has the same function as changing the damage type doesn't it? Is it possible to create this trigger?

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
There's no trigger action to change attack types. You need two unit-types, and an ability based off Chaos (it's under Orc). Add the Chaos ability to change the unit from one unit-type to another.

chukky-jr

Reaction score
for no 3, wouldn't he got a problem if the unit has aura damage like immolation or something? it would trigger the damage bonus, well if you're fine with that it's ok then

A-SM

Reaction score
KaerfNomekop: I tried to create item, lets say it Dark Orb, I placed the Chaos ability (Data unit type=Blood Mage) in it. But when my char got the Dark Orb, it doesn't change at all. Where am I going wrong?

chukky-jr: You mean instead of creating a dummy unit and order it to cast an ability on our unit, we put a damage-bonus based ability to our spellbook right? Wew, that's a clever idea. :)

chukky-jr

Reaction score
^i'm not sure if i got your #3 point correctly, but this is what i meant

let's say Hero has a skill that gives him 200+ damage on next hit, and then it removes the buff, but that hero has immolation ability, which causes him to damage the enemy at interval around him, the problem with damage detection is WC3 has no idea you dealt damage through that 200+ damage or through immolation, so it only takes into account whenever you dealt damage, that buff will be removed, if you damage the enemy though 200+ damage, then fine the buff should be removed, but if you damage it through immolation, the buff shouldn't be removed, but it will still be removed since WC3 can't tell if you dealt damage through 200+ damage or immolation

i take it you play DotA, so i give you simple example (you can test it yourself), use either Raigor or Gondar, have Enchant Totem or Jinada on, also have Radiance turned On, then order them to attack, you'll notice the buff of ET/Jinada will disappear since Radiance's damage got doubled, not their physical damage (well not doubled though, but it checks that damage ticks)

there was a work around for this by periodically checking when unit is given an order to attack and when he dealt damage, but i still have no idea how to trigger it

A-SM

Reaction score
I see, so that's what you meant. But the bad news is that I want the bonus damage only dealt when the unit is attack normally, no skill or item. And it seems to be long to solve. But I will try my best to find it or just giving a clue for you guys about it. Thank you chukky :)

keychup

Reaction score
KaerfNomekop: I tried to create item, lets say it Dark Orb, I placed the Chaos ability (Data unit type=Blood Mage) in it. But when my char got the Dark Orb, it doesn't change at all. Where am I going wrong?

chukky-jr: You mean instead of creating a dummy unit and order it to cast an ability on our unit, we put a damage-bonus based ability to our spellbook right? Wew, that's a clever idea. :)
Chaos usually has an upgrade condition that goes with it. Remove all Upgrade Requirements.

A-SM

Reaction score
Hey, that solves the problem keychup :). But when we drop the item, the unit won't comeback. So I make a trigger for it, here's my trigger:
Trigger:
  • Trigger
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Pendant of Energy
    • Actions
      • Unit - Add Transform to (Triggering unit)
      • Wait until (((Triggering unit) has an item of type Pendant of Energy) Equal to False), checking every 0.10 seconds
      • Unit - Add Revert to (Triggering unit)

Works fine, thank you :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.