Nozdormu: Battle of Mount Hyjal

radienx000

Reaction score
Blog: First Time
Well, I started this map 10 weeks ago, and it took me 3 weeks to make the terrain look reasonably nice, I never made a AoS map before but I made melee maps (totally a failure).
But before I was thinking of remaking the Battle of Mount Hyjal, since World of Warcraft, TFT, and other Warcraft stuff was based on that epic Battle between the mortals of Azeroth and the Burning Legion.
Even though I didn't know much I had the motivation to even start making it. Like I gave up from making a few metres of terrian, but than I said to myself, I'm going to make the next Dota (impossible).
Now I have made the bases and 60% of the map is terrianed, but the other 40% is for other things such as hero selection and cimatictics.

Well, I'm learning from this site alot in the 10 weeks and will be asking for more help in the following weeks to come, until than I need people to give me suggestions, as you can post it here.
I really want to add some music made from Blizzard, that people probably haven't heard in a while, as I read through the forums I noticed that people hated to the same music too much so I added options saying that if you want to listen to music in the battle, but these music blend into the atmosphere of this AoS map.

When I'm finished I'll post a beta version of it and start putting patches from there. Until than I'll probably have my own website on this map, if it was popular (Not trying to beat Dota though, I think Dota is a good game, but I'll like mine in the popular section :D ).

To be honest its not annoying nor is it boring to make this map for how many weeks, because its so fun and its so challenging, if I fail with this map I'll learn from it and make better maps in the future. This map is a new style map so yer.

Blog: Now
Its awsome, now I know how to use triggers I feel like i can do anything! I Learn'd so much and I think that I'll be making more maps like this, my attitude towards this has changed completely! This will be the best map in the following months! I hope to make Co-campagin Maps, such as the WoW or Warcraft 3 campagins.

Terrianing, Units, doodads : 100%
Triggers: 5%
Music 100%
AIs: 0% (I don't know how to make AIs)

Total: 55%
[/SIZE]

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
well i was actually working on map with the same name for a while, but never had the time to finish it...and it wasn't exactly an AoS so...
anyway thumbs up from me and good luck with beating DotA ;)

radienx000

Reaction score
Thanks very much.
Can anyone explain to me what types of maps are there, example : what is AoS maps, etc.

hellmonja27

Reaction score
hey Radien. glad you're taking failed projects in a positive way. i too am a nooby mapmaker, maybe more nooby than you. i also made a map posted here but it's taking a depressing stage as of late. so knowing how rookie mapmakers feel, would be very glad to help you out of this, give you feedbacks and bug reports once you have the beta...

Type of maps: so far what i've known are:
  • AoS - DotA
  • melee - traditional "destroy the base" WC3 game
  • tower defences
  • hero arena - no sure what it really is
  • RPG - role playing game, like the name says
  • Minigames stuff - not really a genre but i've seen quite a few like these (Cannon Commandor, Sheep Dodger)
those are what i know so far

radienx000

Reaction score
There are Triggers I don't get, its:

Set Total_Heroes = 8
Set Random_Count = 8
Set Hero_Array[1] = Alchemist
Set Hero_Array[2] = Naga Sea Witch
Set Hero_Array[3] = Tinker
Set Hero_Array[4] = Beastmaster
Set Hero_Array[5] = Dark Ranger
Set Hero_Array[6] = Firelord
Set Hero_Array[7] = Pandaren Brewmaster
Set Hero_Array[8] = Pit Lord
For each (Integer A) from 1 to 8, do (Actions)
Loop - Actions
Set Random_Data[(Integer A)] = (Integer A)

Are they even triggers or varaibles?
Where do you get these stuff in the trigger editor? I was looking in this tutorial:
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehe.../herotavern.php
In the Creating the Triggers section

NiKaNoRoU_GR

Reaction score
hellmonja27 said:
hey Radien. glad you're taking failed projects in a positive way. i too am a nooby mapmaker, maybe more nooby than you. i also made a map posted here but it's taking a depressing stage as of late. so knowing how rookie mapmakers feel, would be very glad to help you out of this, give you feedbacks and bug reports once you have the beta...

Type of maps: so far what i've known are:
  • AoS - DotA
  • melee - traditional "destroy the base" WC3 game
  • tower defences
  • hero arena - no sure what it really is
  • RPG - role playing game, like the name says
  • Minigames stuff - not really a genre but i've seen quite a few like these (Cannon Commandor, Sheep Dodger)
those are what i know so far
Then try out Hero line wars, Tags and Mazes

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> hero arena - no sure what it really is
you get a hero. creeps come. you kill them. your main building (castle or whatever) mustn't get destroyed.
kind of like tower defence but with heroes :p

> Are they even triggers or varaibles?
well triggers of course. the ones beginning with Set are General - Set Variable and you need to actually create those variables first, should be covered by the tutorial.
the last one is General - For Each Integer A, Do Multiple Actions. once you create it you will automatically get Loop - Actions. this action is tft only btw...

Anything.

Reaction score
It's just like Algebra. Except for the fact that the variable has a specific "Set", as opposed from picking from the Universal Set (everything).

You create variables through the variable editor in the trigger editor. Each variable has it's own type, and you must create two variables if you wish to have two different types.

A Variable can be set via triggers to something which corresponds to it's variable type. This means that by using the Set Variable action, you can set Sobi Mask to a Unit Variable or Orb of Frost, but you cannot set the creep unit Kobold Taskmaster, you will need a separate variable for that.

Each variable can only carry one piece of data, unless it's an array (this is like many variables in one, I'll explain later). Variables are also used to fix Memory Leaks (see the Tutorial for this). A variable's data is reset once you use Set Variable again - so if you had Gnoll Warden as your unit Variable, and you used Set Variable to set it to Harpy Scout, then the Gnoll Warden is no longer the Variable.

A variable array is alot of variables bunched together in the form VARIABLE[#] where you use Set Variable, except you must set the number which you are setting. This is very useful with Integer A.

A variable is used in triggers to specify units which, well, can vary. If a unit has not been placed yet, but you have it in your trigger, use a variable. If a unit casts a spell and you wish to do something with / to it, use a variable.

radienx000

Reaction score
Thanks, I totally get that.
I got another question, you know there is the max 12 players, well can you add more? Is there a way?

Ok this is what I am doing, firstly I want to make a map that you can do TD, Heroes (AoS), or melee building all in ONE! So I want to make something up, like if you type, example:
-mb = You can build buildings and train units.
-htd = You can be a Hero and Tower Defense builder.

I just don't know how to do this.

hellmonja27

Reaction score
i think you might be able to squeeze at least one more player. if you have computer controlled creeps the can put them in Hostile Creeps leaving a player slot free. but that's all i know.

Ok this is what I am doing, firstly I want to make a map that you can do TD, Heroes (AoS), or melee building all in ONE! So I want to make something up, like if you type, example:
-mb = You can build buildings and train units.
-htd = You can be a Hero and Tower Defense builder.

honestly, this is too crazy a concept to think about. a bit too ambitious really. you might need a bit more experience before you can make a concept like this work. coz remember, a certain genre requires a specific type of terrain, heroes, abilities, items etc. so how are you going to make, for example, a hero that is for melee as well as Aos and Tower Defence map and balance it?...

radienx000

Reaction score
How do you make the computer controll creeps?
Can you make creeps use AIs?

Also, are there any heroes in the game that has low armor? Heroes from the 'Real' blizzard game, eg: Death Knight, Palidain, etc.

Mr Zero

Junior Regular (Got the T-shirt)
Reaction score
radienx000 said:
How do you make the computer controll creeps?
With triggering.

radienx000 said:
Can you make creeps use AIs?
AI is such "big" word. Most "AI" is done though triggering.
It takes five min. to learn, takes a lift-time to master :D.

Seach for it, there is a lot there has ask for it :rolleyes:.

radienx000

Reaction score
I can't seem to find anything for 'how to use AI for creeps'. I gone to the search and typed AI and it said it was too short =S

And also how do you ally the creeps to an alliance?

Also I made a picture of what my new map would look like, this is the beta version though and I did the terrianing myself :

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k...tleofMountHyjal.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

Please comment on my map of how it looks like, and I need help on how to put and even make creeps ally with players.

hellmonja27

Reaction score
often the AI is left to other programmers. honestly i think putting AI on a map equals to the amount of work you made doing the whole map. that's why IceFrog has Cloud.str, and some other guys to do his AI for every version of DotA.

my advice: fix the map first, concentrate on it and remove any bugs so when you decide to put AI then you now have a good solid foundation...

radienx000

Reaction score
Thanks hellmonja27, :D
Well with the progress I'm making, I guess that my map will not be bad after all. I would need help on ideas though and I got a question. Whats the limit of space so a map can be hosted without lagging because of the map, what if mine is too big?
I got another question, how can I find AI in the search engine because it says that its too short.
Heres some of my pictures from Mount Hyjal. :D

Attachments

• Undead Base.JPG
    Undead Base.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Human Base.JPG
    Human Base.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 222
  • Orc Base.JPG
    Orc Base.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 200

hellmonja27

Reaction score
hey neat! i like the first pic a lot.

hmm map size. actually, i think lags aren't in the size of the playable area, it's in how many doodads and units you have (with regards to loading time). once allloaded, lags are usually caused by leaks, special effects and too many units.

try typing "Warcraft AI"...

radienx000

Reaction score
It still doesn't work, when I type AI it says it too short.
Anyways, I use WinMPQ to extract the Night Elf Script 07, but I can't seem to use it in the AI. Its a Abobe IIustrator Artwork File and I can't seem to use it for AI Editor.

I also Got new pictures of my epic map, this is where after the Battle of Mount Hyjal.

Attachments

• Doomsday.JPG
    Doomsday.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 188
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.