Politics Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
ST. LOUIS, Mo. - Sen. Barack Obama's foes seized Sunday upon a brief slip of the tongue, when the Democratic presidential nominee was outlining his Christianity but accidentally said, "my Muslim faith."

The three words -- immediately corrected -- were during an exchange with ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "This Week," when he was trying to criticize the quiet smear campaign suggesting he is a Muslim.

But illustrating the difficulty of preventing false rumors about his faith from spreading, anti-Obama groups within one hour of the interview had sliced it out of context and were sending it around via email. They also were blogging about it.

Last edited:

Varine

And as the moon rises, we shall prepare for war
Reaction score
That's a pretty big mistake to make.... He's not doing a very good job of making me like him more.

B

BladeChimera

While I don't care that he might be a muslim, I do care if he lies about it.

Varine

Reaction score
While I don't care that he might be a muslim, I do care if he lies about it.

I kind of care. It's not the fact that he's Islamic, it's more that he's really good at lying and there's this thing where he avoids talking about an issue called Islamic Terrorism. Not that he HAS to be a terrorist, but it's not like political spies are unheard of.

And just so you all know, I'm very proud of my Canadian heritage. Oh, I mean my Russian heritage.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
Why would you care? I lie to people all the time saying I'm a Christian because it passes over the subject to something so I won't offend them. Besides, religion is such a useless topic to lay any importance on. It is sickening that someone WOULD have to lie to make all those Catholic hillbillies happy.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
If he was Muslim the above comments wouldn't be such a show of ignorance..

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
When being continually told "You're Muslim", its obvious where his train of thought was. Doesn't bother me one bit.

hi_im_bob

......and you are?
Reaction score
that may have been one of the most biased news articles I have ever read. I cant believe the post actually posted that.

Varine

Reaction score
When being continually told "You're Muslim", its obvious where his train of thought was. Doesn't bother me one bit.

It's still a pretty big mistake to make. And it's pretty funny.

that may have been one of the most biased news articles I have ever read. I cant believe the post actually posted that.

Uhh not really. But I guess you can dislike it.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
Damn that convinced me... that one slip that may or may not have linked to his subconscious backs up the belief that he's a muslim, and is far more convincing the the fact that he attended a christian church for what was it... 20 years (?) and the fact that no other evidence supports the claim of him being a muslim. Damn, I shoulda known better.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Oh no, but when people confuse his name with Osama no one even pays attention, they even joke about it.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
At this point though, I've realized that stuff like this can only hurt Obama. If McCain turned out to be Satan, people would still vote for him because he wants to lower taxes (slightly). That's the only issue that people feel strongly about.

BlargIAmDead

Reaction score
Why would you care? I lie to people all the time saying I'm a Christian because it passes over the subject to something so I won't offend them. Besides, religion is such a useless topic to lay any importance on. It is sickening that someone WOULD have to lie to make all those Catholic hillbillies happy.

I agree that "faith informing politics" is more appropriate for the Taliban for the United States of America. But I do have to correct you on a minor point: most "hillbillies" are Protestant, both in the technical sense and as slang for "rural American". If you're going to bother distinguishing between Christian sects, get it right.

ArmedCitizen

Kisses Cats
Reaction score
I only said that because in my secluded area protestant is not the majority. Catholic makes up the large percentage. And it makes no difference. They are all the same with different titles. Except Evangelicals, they are just crazy.

esb

Reaction score
What do you mean if it does not matter if he's muslim or not. He has the chance of running this damn country (not completely of course) and religious beliefs may affect how.
Question is, what's better, Muslim or Protestant?

Varine

Reaction score
Damn that convinced me... that one slip that may or may not have linked to his subconscious backs up the belief that he's a muslim, and is far more convincing the the fact that he attended a christian church for what was it... 20 years (?) and the fact that no other evidence supports the claim of him being a muslim. Damn, I shoulda known better.

A church with a minister that preached about how America sucks and didn't leave until attention was brought to it, along with various other issues in his actions since being elected to the Senate....

At this point though, I've realized that stuff like this can only hurt Obama. If McCain turned out to be Satan, people would still vote for him because he wants to lower taxes (slightly). That's the only issue that people feel strongly about.

Whereas Obama wants to raise them drastically, and every one of his plans has a major flaw in it that will in all probability ultimately backfire and cause complete ruin. You don't think that has something to do with people not wanting him in office?

religious beliefs may affect how.

America suicide bombs Canada shortly after elections?

Prometheus

Everything is mutable; nothing is sacred
Reaction score
I don't care if the president is Muslim, Christan, Hindu or Atheist. All I care is if the guy is a good president.

WolSHaman

knowledgeably ignorant
Reaction score
A church with a minister that preached about how America sucks and didn't leave until attention was brought to it, along with various other issues in his actions since being elected to the Senate....

So in addition to being muslim he's a christian who supports this hateful church? o_O

esb

Reaction score
One might think religion has no effect in the president, but it does. Not the same for everyone. Religion is like beliefs, morals, etc. and can cause one to do many things, or halt one from doing many things.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.