Premium Maps/effect on the community.

Zonagle

Reaction score
I know there's already a topic further down about this, but I wanted to address something rather specific that's bothering me about paying for maps.

Will as many people still be willing to submit they're resources? Be it custom made spells/systems/open source maps/custom models etc. Are people going to be as willing to give away such information now that there's money on the line?

I'm sure they'll still be some people who are more than willing to share they're hard work with others, and help people learn. However, I'm also sure that they'll be people who will keep all they're maps/systems etc secret.

What effect do you think this will have on the community?

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think there will still be the communies, such as TheHelper.net, who will offer free resources for SC2, however I do also think that there will be a new market for premium, custom resources.

Zonagle

Reaction score
I think there will still be the communies, such as TheHelper.net, who will offer free resources for SC2, however I do also think that there will be a new market for premium, custom resources.

Well, I'm sure there will still be people on thehelper willing to help, and share information. However, I think you'll find that overall, the number of people willing to share their resources drops.

jig7c

Stop reading me...-statement
Reaction score
i will share my content...
i believe sharing = improving code

EpicFlux

Reaction score
I think having premium pay for maps was THE worst idea ever... I mean, yeah... You spend 6 months to a year on a large scale map that pretty much goes gold in the community, it would be nice to get something for your hard work, but money?

I think the best kind of offer for Premium title would be this,

-Extra map size to help make your map larger.
-Official subpage on battle.net 2
-Patch release feature that automatically updates only segments of the map (since your premium map is hosted through blizzard), instead of resending out the whole map again.
-And possibley some other perks I really can't think of.

But money? How sad. So many people are gonna milk this.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
pasting my response from the other thread of the same content.

"why paid premium maps?"

cuz if you make your own game using an engine like unreal, you sure as hell arent gonna give it away for free and if you make an entirely new game (which is most definitely possible in sc2 editor) then why would you wanna give that away for free?

Cookiemaster

Reaction score
I think having premium pay for maps was THE worst idea ever... I mean, yeah... You spend 6 months to a year on a large scale map that pretty much goes gold in the community, it would be nice to get something for your hard work, but money?

-Patch release feature that automatically updates only segments of the map (since your premium map is hosted through blizzard), instead of resending out the whole map again.

Money isn't a problem as long as the premium map prices stay low.

sqrage

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Money isn't a problem as long as the premium map prices stay low.

Yea, they are going to be micro-transactions aren't they? I doubt I'd be buying many maps anyway, just the occasion ones that really stand out and appear as though they are standalone games.

RandomUser12

Reaction score
As far as i know its blizzard who decide whether or not a map is worthy of being premium.

Also premium maps will only be maps that are pretty much a brand new game just using the SC2 engine, much like Counterstrike was for halflife.

tain

Reaction score
well you know about the never ending circle.

... more money -> more reward -> more pros -> better games -> more fans -> more money ...

Monsterous

In the Shadows, Lurking.
Reaction score
I wonder if someone will make a completely new RTS (new models, new mechanics...) that would be better than Starcraft's one using the Starcraft editor.

Ice Bane

Reaction score

Really, really good point!

Ice Bane

Reaction score
I defintetly think that there will be people who will still share, but also I think there will be people like mass-producing models and selling them on the internet.

Like creating a minor company by yourself as an indie-developer and just spam models and stuff.

DarkRevenant

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
If it's allowed, there's nothing wrong with selling models. If you don't want to pay for them, just don't use them. A project group working on a premium map should be able to make its own models, anyway, since some things will definitely be unique from anything yet done.

Slapshot136

Divide et impera
Reaction score
maybe I should head over to the hive and download/collect so I don't need to buy models (and give credit ofc, but not $$)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.