problem to install The frozen throne

pippo rauco

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a problem with installing the most beautiful game in the world. I would like to point out that I have already installed Reign of chaos on Zorin os. I'm trying to install the expansion with Lutris but the screen appears after launching the installation exe file. Not only do so many little rectangles not make me understand anything but I can't click on the rectangles that replace the words install the frozen throne. Any help?

Attachments

• screenshoot_warcraft3.png
    screenshoot_warcraft3.png
    163.8 KB · Views: 56

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the error message on the screen that is displaying?

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
If you are trying to use the original Frozen Throne you should be using a Windows 98+ Virtual Machine. I dont know what Lutris is or what process you are using to emulate windows but best way to run old Windows software is by a Virtual Machine for that software. Warcraft 3 will run on any Windows 98 or above VM.

pippo rauco

Reaction score
Thank you first of all for your speed in responding. well, without reading your last post, this afternoon I proceeded to install Windows XP on the virtual box. I had no problems installing it, but now when I launch it, the warcraft screen appears but the game doesn't start.

pippo rauco

Reaction score
I get a message about the dirext 8.1 that I had installed and I also updated with the dirext 9. I don't know if it actually depends on this but I can't find sites with a dirext that is more up to date than the one I have installed.

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the EXACT Direct X Error Message that you are getting?

I don't know what kind of video card you have or what the emulated vm you are using thinks you have but you need to have the latest video card drivers, the manufacturer ones for whatever card it is in addition to the Direct X

Last edited:

pippo rauco

Reaction score
error message : "Warcraft failed to initialize dirext. Make sure you are running dirext 8.1 or later and that your video drivers are up to date."

The Helper

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like your video card is not being recognized correctly by your VM. Direct X is just a wrapper for functions your video card has to be able to work with it too. I would try different virtual machines. If you are using the old Warcraft 3 you only Windows 98SE and up. Sounds likes it is not liking XP on your setup you should try a different OS VM.

Additionally - I have not tried this but apparently you can configure Warcraft 3 to run in Open GL mode bypassing Direct X

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.