Problem with buying abilities

Xan_Kriegor

I can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I'm trying to use Baka-Ranger's system for buying items that teach heroes skills via Engineering Upgrade tricks. His guide is here.

Here's my code:
Trigger:
  • Learn Blink
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to Learn Skill - Blink
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
            • Conditions
              • ((Item-type of (Item carried by (Triggering unit) in slot 1)) Equal to (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))) and ((Item-type of (Item carried by (Triggering unit) in slot 2)) Equal to (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)))
              • ((Item-type of (Item carried by (Triggering unit) in slot 1)) Equal to (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))) and ((Item-type of (Item carried by (Triggering unit) in slot 3)) Equal to (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)))
              • ((Item-type of (Item carried by (Triggering unit) in slot 2)) Equal to (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))) and ((Item-type of (Item carried by (Triggering unit) in slot 3)) Equal to (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)))
        • Then - Actions
          • Game - Display to (Player group((Owner of (Triggering unit)))) for 6.00 seconds the text: |cffff0000You canno...
          • Item - Remove (Item being manipulated)
        • Else - Actions
          • Unit - Add SB - Blink to (Triggering unit)
          • For each (Integer A) from 1 to 3, do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Item carried by (Triggering unit) in slot (Integer A)) Equal to (Item being manipulated)
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Set level of EU - Blink for (Triggering unit) to (Integer A)
                  • Player - Disable SB - Blink for (Owner of (Triggering unit))
                • Else - Actions
The only change I've made is that my heroes can only get 3 abilities instead of 4. However, when I buy the item it doesn't disable the spellbook properly (I can still see the spellbook). Also, if I have an item in my first slot so the learn item goes to my second slot, it takes up both the first and second ability slots.

Anyone think they can help?

Reaction score
When you buy the skill and you get the spell book, does the ability get replaced properly?

Your inventory should be empty when buying skills, otherwise this system will fail. If you want to be able to buy abilities through out the game with this engine, you need to keep count of the abilities already bought, and use that number rather than the inventory slot number obtained through the loop.

Xan_Kriegor

I can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Hey, didn't think I'd get the big man himself! :D Thanks for making an easy-to-use guide! (Well, except for what's making me post here :p)

Yes, I forgot to say that both times it correctly replaces the ability correctly (I get a Blink option in the Hero Abilities tab). Also, the heroes' inventories will be empty when I'm done with the skill selection area, I just put a dud item in the shop so I can test what happens for more than just the first skill-purchase (Boots of Speed, if it matters). Also, like your map all the abilities are going to be bought at the start of the game, not throughout the game, so the loop should be fine.

Reaction score
Not too sure why it's not disabling the spell book, your trigger looks fine.

If you're going to keep the loop, just make sure the first three inventory slots are free and the trigger should work fine. As for taking up both first and second slots, that's just the way engineering upgrade works, so you just need to make sure they're buying in order.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.