Environment Put oil firm chiefs on trial, says leading climate change scientist

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
James Hansen, one of the world's leading climate scientists, will today call for the chief executives of large fossil fuel companies to be put on trial for high crimes against humanity and nature, accusing them of actively spreading doubt about global warming in the same way that tobacco companies blurred the links between smoking and cancer.

Hansen will use the symbolically charged 20th anniversary of his groundbreaking speech (pdf) to the US Congress - in which he was among the first to sound the alarm over the reality of global warming - to argue that radical steps need to be taken immediately if the "perfect storm" of irreversible climate change is not to become inevitable.

Speaking before Congress again, he will accuse the chief executive officers of companies such as ExxonMobil and Peabody Energy of being fully aware of the disinformation about climate change they are spreading.

Last edited:

Knight7770

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped aliophobia
Reaction score
I say that it's about time someone did something like this.

Dan

The New Helper.Net gives me great Anxiety... o.O;;
Reaction score
OMG!? This guy is out of control. Everyone just wants to feel better about themselves by "saving the environment" but no one wants to do anything about it. This guy, himself, needs to be put on trial for spreading a mass hysteria across the planet, and putting fear into the hearts of those who have nothing substantial to worry about other than the health of their planet, which is not going to blow up for another 10 million years.

When do we get hydrogen cars? That should make everyone happy, especially the hippies. Has anyone seen BullSh*t with Pen and Teller???

Knight7770

Reaction score
OMG!? This guy is out of control. Everyone just wants to feel better about themselves by "saving the environment" but no one wants to do anything about it. This guy, himself, needs to be put on trial for spreading a mass hysteria across the planet, and putting fear into the hearts of those who have nothing substantial to worry about other than the health of their planet, which is not going to blow up for another 10 million years.
Global warming is a very serious and real problem. Stop ignoring it.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score

Turnip

Reaction score
It is not as bad as Al ****ing Gore is making it out to be, and we are sure as hell not causeing it. The earth is safe for atleast another five billion years, At which point the sun will become too hot and burn us all into oblivion.

Cilla

is watching you! Ahh, fresh meat!
Reaction score
It is not as bad as Al ****ing Gore is making it out to be, and we are sure as hell not causeing it. The earth is safe for atleast another five billion years, At which point the sun will become too hot and burn us all into oblivion.

Lol, an asteroid could prolly blast earth out of our solar system the very next day,
but besides that there is a natural global warming plus the nonnatural one
caused by Turnip, Varine, me and everyone else known to be sort of a human being.

Knight7770

Reaction score
Yes, it is that bad. Yes, we are sure as hell making it a lot worse. The Earth is not safe for at least another five-billion years. I don't think you know what you're talking about.

esb

Reaction score
I think "Global Warming" is natural. Humans might slightly be processing a bit faster, but with current technology, we will survive, just like the cave man did.

Seb!

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I think "Global Warming" is natural. Humans might slightly be processing a bit faster, but with current technology, we will survive, just like the cave man did.

Can you give me some type of concrete evidence at all that ANY of that is true. I just cannot find anything that's supports that. Your reason seems to be "that's how I want it to be."

esb

Reaction score
Can you give me any type of concrete evidence that supports ANY of global warming is true? I just cannot find anything that isn't random facts made up by Al gore that supports that. Al's reason seems to be "that's how I want to get rich."

Reaction score
The current denial of global warming is very similar to the evolution "debate" a few years ago. I suggest waiting for the anti-science segment of the American public to catch up.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Humans Don't have that big of a hold of the Earth. We won't kill it. We won't save it.

Humans don't hold of the fate of the earth, in fact its the other way around.

Global Warming is a scam. And it is doing well.

Knight7770

Reaction score
Humans Don't have that big of a hold of the Earth. We won't kill it. We won't save it.

Humans don't hold of the fate of the earth, in fact its the other way around.

Global Warming is a scam. And it is doing well.
It's not a scam. Accept it.

Ninja_sheep

Heavy is credit to team!
Reaction score
Can you give me any type of concrete evidence that supports ANY of global warming is true? I just cannot find anything that isn't random facts made up by Al gore that supports that. Al's reason seems to be "that's how I want to get rich."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPCC_Fourth_Assessment_Report
This one seems pretty trustable.

I've read some intresting article about desinformation caused by the oil lobby. They pay institutes with scientists to make the whole debat to look contended so politicians don't act against them.
And it seemed pretty trustable.

Frosthowl

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Global warming is the biggest hoax ive ever seen. The media has taken the idea and spiraled it out of control. There is no huge agreement between the scientists on whether global warming is real. Infact, there is a huge dividing line with almost equal sides. I did a huge speech on why global warming is fake. Its just propaganda to get democrates elected. This idiot scientist is practicaly going to create another salem witch trial. Arrest him, he doesnt beleive in global warming! -.-

Little info, charts already show that we had the coldest winter in decades last winter. Infact, the warmest years in the 1900's were the 1930's and since then, they have been on a slow decrees and have plataued. This year, the antarctic set a record for having the most ice since 1960. You want sources? I can get you them. O, and that graph that shows the CO2 levels and temperature levels over the life of the earth. CO2 has nothing to do with those high temperature levels. Naturaly when the weather is hotter, more ice melts and organic matter is allowed to decay that normaly wasnt able to. Our current technology is also not good enough to replace oil as a power source. Im not dismissing the fact that the globe could be warming because of CO2, but it is a natural cycle and humans are not the cause nor can do anything to stop it. And the globe isnt warming as fast as the media says.

If we start putting people on trial for being against global warming, not only will we have regressed to McCarthy's trials against supposed communists, we will be practicing censorship and we will be preventing people from expressing their freedom of speech. Its a dumb idea and will never happen. Even if we did do this to the oil companies, then what? Do we arrest our citizens too? How far do we take this?

Wikipedia...great source -.-

O and if you guys want my sources, I will gladly find them for you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.