[Question] Details and Description

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Well, I don't know if questions are allowed here, but I have recently skimmed through this forum and I saw Sevion's post in Ayumilove's Story... I know we're not allowed to post on threads that are FAR TOO ANCIENT :D, so I decided to ask it here, hope you don't mind.

By Sevion:
if you have time you should add details! when people ask me how I wright so well in my stories I always reply Details and Description or as my 7th grade English teacher called it D&D I once wrote about my toe (It got smashed and the toenail got ripped off) and everyone that read it said it was an instant hook and they really loved my story. I could write about anything. In the end it really comes down to how vivid and creative your imagination can get.

May I ask if only descriptive stories can use the...D&D? Or is it that D&D can be used in all stories (Including narrative stories)??

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Details and descriptions may be used in any type of writing. You're trying to tell a story, or share information. In order for the reader to know what's going on, he/she must know details. And in order to be wrapped, feel involved, and be interested (or hooked), descriptions are also great. Though sometimes it may be excessive, so use with moderation. Also, some people prefer a lot of details and descriptions, others don't. Could depend on the genre and reader.

xPass

All aboard the xPass Express!
Reaction score
Details and descriptions may be used in any type of writing. You're trying to tell a story, or share information. In order for the reader to know what's going on, he/she must know details. And in order to be wrapped, feel involved, and be interested (or hooked), descriptions are also great. Though sometimes it may be excessive, so use with moderation. Also, some people prefer a lot of details and descriptions, others don't. Could depend on the genre and reader.

So what you basically mean is that details and descriptions are really, really important and are the ones that actually decides whether to hook the reader or not? That means I can use it in my compositions... Will it be effective too? :thup:

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't say it's just the details/descriptions that hook a reader... if your piece sucks it sucks. But yeah, you can use it in your compositions, but remember what esb said with it being excessive. And depending on what you write, you should keep in mind your readers, different people have different wants and needs in a writing piece.

~Hai-Bye-Vine~

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.