Raid

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
I would like to raid a few of my harddrives together to see if I can get some speed increases out of it.

I have three harddrives:
80 GB 7200 RPM
40 GB 7200 RPM
40 GB 7200 RPM

I would like to put the 40 GB on the RAID. My motherboard includes a special IDE connection where i can connect an IDE cable to it for RAID. There is three RAID options that i have, RAID 0/1/0+1.

I need to know which RAID i need to apply both the 40 GB harddrives on to have an increase in speed, and for it to work right. Or will I not even get an increase in speed since both Harddrives have to be connected in series with a single IDE cable?

I'm going to be putting Windows XP x64 Beta on the two RAIDed harddrives. Then I should be able to use Windows XP Pro. on the one harddrive, and Windows XP x64 Beta on the other two (raided). Is there anyway that i can start up the Windows XP x64 Beta, and see all of the files under the Windows XP Pro. harddrive, or will i encounter errors? and vice versa?

Thanks.

Logical_1

Advisor
Reaction score
There's really not going to be much benefit to you in going to a RAID 0 setup on those drives since RAID 0 will improve sustained transfer rate, but won't do anything for the random access time which Windows relies on to get from one file to the next.

Do some reading through the FAQs at www.storagereview.com

S

Superman

You will get a performance increase in win xp x64 with the raid0, especially with large disk access, like converting video, audio etc. But dont expect to jump any frames in games, though it may speed up your load times a bit it wont help in-game performance as most games now preload to the drive before begining a "round" or "map"

http://www.ufoware.com/lanparty

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep i got it going now, i needed a "decorated" RAID driver for windows to properly see my RAID controller. So i found someone on the Windows 64bit beta forums, and they changed a few lines in the code and sent it back to me, now everything works fine. I got my harddrives raided together, and Windows XP 64 bit beta is on the Raided harddrives.

So now everything is all good AND VERY VERY fast!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.