Recipe RECIPE - Clams and Pasta by Varine

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
Clams and Pasta by Varine

This is a fairly quick dish, ten minutes, minus the time it takes to cook the pasta and clams if those aren't done, so probably about twenty total and tops if you have took everything.

Cook clams by any method (Google it); it only takes a few minutes if you get them raw. Cost varies a lot depending on if you get fresh ingredients, seasons, and where you live. Shouldn't be more than like ten dollars for the plate (unless you're getting expensive ingredients or way out of the prime for cost), but you'll likely have to buy a hell of a lot more than just the amount for this, which I have no clue on. I usually make this kind of shit at work where I don't have to buy anything.

Ingredients...
  • Butter, ideally clarified
  • Garlic, minced
  • Herb blend of oregano, parsley, thyme, and whatever else seems like a good idea to mix in. Rough chopped is fine
  • White wine
  • Lemon juice
  • Tomatoes, diced
  • Shredded Parmesan
  • Clams, probably about four to six ounces in shells (I usually get them pre-cooked and frozen, easier). Out of shell, you only need like two, but you can always use more if desired, just make sure to scale everything else if going overboard..
  • Pasta, about five to six ounces (I prefer cavatappi for these kinds of dishes, but a capellini or something would be good too. Linguine is common as well, but I just don't like it for light oil based sauces).
Directions:
  • Fire up a medium to large saucepan, add about two ounces of butter. Melt if solid; heat if clarified. Oil CAN suffice if necessary, but it's not preferable. Be sure not to burn it, you don't need to get this that hot, medium to med hi heat will suffice if you're not good with the stove, but watch it.
  • Throw in a bit of garlic, two or three teaspoons, with about half the amount of herb blend with a small hand of tomatoes.
  • Saute for a few minutes, and deglaze with wine and lemon juice.
  • Throw in another few tablespoons of tomatoes
  • Add in cooked clams and pasta
  • Toss until well blended
  • Cover for a few minutes until liquid has reduced sufficiently (really shouldn't be much more than a light dressing over the pasta and clams) and is hot
  • Top with Parmesan and herbs
  • Serve hot
  • Don't eat the clam shells.
Notes:

This will serve one. Scale accordingly.

This would probably cost a minimum of 20 to 30 dollars an alright restaurant (the lower class of the type that would serve this kind of thing where you get oddly burned bread on the side), and upwards of fifty if you're looking at the 'reservation is appreciated' type.

You can also throw in a dash of heavy cream with the pasta, and reduce it down, to get a really nice and creamy pasta with it. Don't use milk, it will probably curdle with the lemon juice in here. Heavy cream will be fine. Add the cream second to last, with the clams being the last thing after the cream has reduced. Maybe toss in a little more lemon juice after the clams, but it shouldn't be necessary.

If you do use cream, keep the temperature low, below 200 degrees, ideally at 150 to 175 or so. Higher than that and you risk curdling the cream (very bad) or having the sauce separate (also bad). If you do fuck up you can temper it to try and fix it, but the best way is definitely to just not do it, it's not always easy to fix cream sauces and you might just waste a bunch of time and money.

And an interesting note, if you happen to be able to get camel's milk (which I doubt you will; I'd imagine it's really fucking expensive even if you do), I've been told it doesn't curdle.

Source:

See all the Recipes in the Recipes Index!

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.