Reformatting OS

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
I have a set of simple questions to ask, most pertaining to reformatting the OS and it's effects

1) Is it possible to reformat only the partition that contains the OS without the risk in harmful hardware failures on my PC?
2) Is there a way to avoid the registry be lost upon the reformat?
3) If there is a way (2), is it possible to do so when shifting from Windows XP to Windows 7?
4) Is it safe to determine that those programs I have installed with the XP OS would also work with Win7? (I'm predicting it wouldn't, but just for clarity)
5) If there are any other problems, may you kindly name them? (all, some, or just the most dangerous, at the very least)

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
1. Yes. When reinstalling Windows, you can manage partitions. Just format the one you have Windows on and then install the fresh copy on that one. Just don't touch the other ones and you'll be fine.
2. There are methods of backing up the registry files. Check this page for further information.
3. I am unsure about this. But I doubt that XP registry will be compatible with 7. I guess they have different registry architectures.
4. Well, just look up those program on google and check if they are compatible. However, in case there is a program that only works on 7 and you really need it, Windows 7 Ultimate (I am not sure if Professional as well) offers software that allows you to easily run a virtual machine with XP (I guess you can with any version of 7, but it may become more complicated) and run your program on that one. Alternatively, dual-boot Windows XP with Windows 7.
5. Drivers may be an issue, if the machine is old and the manufacturers no longer support the parts you have. Check if there are Windows 7 drivers for your part and if anyone else had problems with installing those particular parts on Windows 7 (google :p). It really depends on the parts you have. I installed Windows 7 a while ago on my almost 4 years old machine and had to install manually some of the drivers (the autorun CDs would not let me install, because of incorrect OS version), but in the end I managed to get all of them. However, I reinstalled XP back, because 7 was a bit too intensive for this old fella :p.
Except that, I doubt anything can become a real issue. I successfully migrated from a desktop XP to a laptop 7 and so far I did not encounter any compatibility issues between the programs I was using on XP and the Windows 7. I pretty much do everything I was doing before, just faster :D.

In addition, document yourself on google on OS reinstallations, or ask here, just so you are covered in case anything goes wrong.

denmax

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
Thank you so much, though with some of your answers leading to "searching in Google", I'm quite unsure if all of what you said may be true.

But I have confidence in you (look at zeh rep :O), so I'll prolly just ignore my own trust issues and worry about what'll happen after it happens XD

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Rep doesn't have anything to do with this :p. What I said is gathered from personal experience and from what I read on the interwebz.

The response for #1 is correct :p. So unless you actually delete the partitions you want to preserve, formatting the Windows partition will not affect the other ones. For 2 I googled it myself, as I never tried to back-up my registry. For 3, I already stated I am actually guessing, so you might want to wait or search for a better response.

For #4, I doubt anyone can tell you exactly what programs work on 7 and if there is a list somewhere on the internet, it might not be exactly accurate. So the best way to check if a program is compatible with an OS is checking the program's website. The company that made it is generally the most informed about its own product :)P).

As for 5, the drivers issue is something I encountered by myself, installing 7 on an outdated machine. It's a high possibility that there are many other issues, but that really depends on a lot of factors.

And why the low confidence in google? I learnt almost everything I know in hardware and software by searching on google.

Generally, reinstalling Windowses is pretty straight-forward and doesn't gives headaches :p. That is, unless you do something you shouldn't do (like formatting the wrong partition). Just be careful. Windows (7, especially) is pretty user-friendly so I doubt you will have any big issue.

Nenad

~Choco Coronet~ Omnomnom
Reaction score
I'd recommend not saving your registry unless you have something of value in it (CD-key that you lost, or perhaps a setting or two). Windows 7 will probably go whack on you if you try to get the XP registry into it.

If you have a laptop, chances are you haven't got all the drivers for Windows 7 (unless it's really new). Even the ones that state ''Windows 7 supported'' are just recycling Vista drivers (and sometimes not well). I had one laptop without sound on 7, and another failed to install it's bluetooth and wireless. Check around if there are any problems before doing this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.