[Results Posted] The Tower Contest - 4 Times the Fun

Weep

Godspeed to the sound of the pounding
Reaction score
Mine's perhaps a bit over-ambitious... Almost more like an art project than a tower (or, set of cooperative towers). :nuts:

I also finished mine first, but I was waiting until later. So I'm just going to drop out. :(
Aw. :( No reason to not post it if it's finished...

TheCrystal

Reaction score
Decided to do something. I made a tower that hurts your processers if massed. I made a text tutorial and the video tutorial failed, not willing to spend five hours to make the two videos in somewhat readable definition

Attachments

• Tower Contest Test Map.w3x
    34.5 KB · Views: 183

Weep

Reaction score
Decided to do something. I made a tower that hurts your processers if massed.
No kidding. :eek:

The tower looks cool, but seems to bug if you make a few...I saw permanent lightning bolts being made that were never removed.

TheCrystal

Reaction score
I noticed that about the Lightning effects, I believe it's from too many lightning things being created and the system leaks them, but that's just a possibility.

Edit: Damn, video was removed for being too long.

Edit2: Reuploaded to Youtube, they're processing and stuff, reuploaded map.

Edit3: The Youtube video is practically useless thanks to Windows Movie Maker.

Edit4: Screw it, no Youtube video.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
I find it ironic that the most common idea is also the worst. Unless your TD doesn't use upgrades, towers that link are seriously flawed.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
> I find it ironic that the most common idea is also the worst. Unless your TD doesn't use upgrades, towers that link are seriously flawed.
Hooray! :p

Renendaru

(Evol)ution is nothing without love.
Reaction score
I chose the idea since I was too tired to think of anything else. I'm just too bored to make another also. Laziness is such a bad disease. :/

Weep

Reaction score
I find it ironic that the most common idea is also the worst. Unless your TD doesn't use upgrades, towers that link are seriously flawed.
I'm curious why you say that. Wouldn't the towers just have to be coded to handle it?

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
I'm curious why you say that. Wouldn't the towers just have to be coded to handle it?

Perhaps worst was an exaggeration, as I can think of worse ideas for a TD. At any rate, the reason is actually design related. If your TD features upgrades then you're trying to get your players to use them. Towers that link encourage massing which is counter-productive to this goal.

Weep

Reaction score
Towers that link encourage massing which is counter-productive to this goal.
I'm surprised your view on this seems so limited. There are lots of ways that the towers could be set up so that upgrades are worthwhile: limit the number of links per tower (that even could be an upgrade option! So could link range...), make it so that the damage upgrade is more valuable than building more towers (this is needed for ANY kind of tower that upgrades), make building space on the map limited so massing is not an option, make it so that link damage does not stack when they overlap, and those are just the ideas that seem obvious to me. :confused: Even by basic concept, they're most gold-efficient when spaced far apart.

Karawasa

Element Tower Defense
Reaction score
Regardless of what you do, there will be a downtime. Towers that are dependent on quantity all suffer from this. What do you do when you only have enough gold for a limited number of higher tiers? The point is that you're forced to wait to upgrade until you can build enough to take advantage of the ability.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Regardless of what you do, there will be a downtime. Towers that are dependent on quantity all suffer from this. What do you do when you only have enough gold for a limited number of higher tiers? The point is that you're forced to wait to upgrade until you can build enough to take advantage of the ability.

That depends. For example, my tower is buffing units and they cannot be affected by the same tower while having the buff, so it's useless to do a lot of towers like this cluttered. However, the tower is still really effective while being easy to balance.

monoVertex

I'm back!
Reaction score
Elune's Guardian

Passive defensive structure. In collaboration with another Guardian, the tower builds an energy wall which affects passing units, lowering their life to 40% of the current amount of hit points. However, the units slowly regains 50% of the lost life.

Guardian.jpg

Attachments

• Smith_S9___Elune_s__Guardian.w3x
    84.5 KB · Views: 188
Reaction score
I am tentatively submitting this tower, the rune tower. The basic idea is that it randomly generates a sequence of runes and then combines them into a powerful spell. Different combinations of runes produce different spells and spell levels.

There are many lines of code in this map, so if you find any bugs, don't be hesitant to notify me!

EDIT: Updated slightly.

Romek

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Smiths tower looks f*cking awesome. :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.