Arena Runestrike, a team-based strategy game

carbonduck

Reaction score
Runestrike
(soon to be in beta)

Backstory
Centuries ago, the kingdom of Eragard was a peaceful place to inhabit. Back then, magic and sorcery was in its youth and few knew of its potency. As the years passed, users of this magic grew in their power and began sharing their knowledge with those around them. Some time after, the Sanctum was born. Originally created under noble intentions, the Sanctum was an organization that anyone could join to learn and develop their magic abilities.

Unfortunately, with great power comes great corruption. Greed and power began to spread through the authorities of the Sanctum and they started using their magic for personal gain at the expense of others. Over decades, the Sanctum gradually utilized their abilities to control the kingdom of Eragard and to oppress its citizens. In retaliation, the Brotherhood was formed.

Composed of the yet uncorrupted leaders within the Sanctum, the Brotherhood fought back against the Sanctum and attempted to turn them from their dark ways but to no avail. The Brotherhood was driven from the kingdom and banished. In the following years, the Brotherhood recruited members from all over and trained them in magic for the purpose of overthrowing the Sanctum.

Thus began the War of the Sanctum, the era in which Runestrike takes place.

Information
Map Genre: Altered Hero Arena
Map Creator: carbonduck
Map Version: Soon to be in Beta
Map Forums: http://runestrike.freecp.net/

Preface
I'll start by saying that Runestrike is not complete yet. However, it will enter Beta stage within the next week. I'm posting this thread to help gain some exposure and possibly find some beta testers for the map. Feedback and suggestions are appreciated.

Runestrike is a map that I've been developing since Winter 2007. Back then it had a different name and a lot of things were different. I've put a lot of effort into this map so when you give criticism, please put some thought into it. All I ask is that criticism be constructive and productive, even if it's negative! :)

Overview
Runestrike is a 5v5 team-based game where every player selects a hero at the start and aims to achieve his team's objectives. In its most basic form, I guess it could be considered a branch off of the Hero Arena genre even though there's a lot more depth to it than simply being a Hero Arena.

Runestrike has been completely designed from the ground up around team-based play and metagame strategy, although individual skill is important too. The game will be the most fun with a full house (10 players) but 4v4s and 3v3s and 2v2s have their place as well.

Features
  • Team Play. 5v5 team-based gameplay that revolves around teamwork, strategy and metagame.
  • The Brotherhood vs. the Sanctum. Read the backstory for more information.
  • Round-based gameplay. The default number of rounds per game is 15 but that value can be changed by the host at game start. The default round time is 3:00 minutes but this value can be changed as well. Rarely is a round played for the full duration.
  • Multiple "maps" to play on. At the start of the game, the host will choose which "map" to play on. For clarification, a "map" is just a specific terrain arena where the players play. There are multiple terrain arenas in Runestrike.
  • The Brotherhood's goal is to take the Rune of Destruction ("bomb") and plant it at one of the Sanctum outposts ("bombsite") located in the map. There are 2 Sanctum outposts per map.
  • The Sanctum's goal is to prevent the Brotherhood from planting the Rune. If they plant, the Sanctum must defuse it before it explodes.
  • Dozens of heroes. As of now, there are 16 unique heroes to choose from, each with their own unique combination of skills and roles. There are more heroes planned for the near future.
  • Simple item system. In Runestrike, when you die, you drop your items. At the end of the round, all items on the ground are cleared. Of course, you can pick up items the that your enemies drop. Because of this, every item is relatively cheap and has been designed to be influential but not game-breaking. You can only have 1 weapon and 1 armor.
  • Intricate gold system. The gold system in Runestrike is more than just killing enemy heroes and creeps and winning their bounty. While simple, the gold system is intricate and has been designed for maximum effect on the metagame.
  • There is more but I can't explain it all in one post...

Sample Items
To illustrate the idea of the simple item system, here are some of the available items. Hopefully it will better portray the idea behind items being influential but not overpowering. Keep in mind that you can only have 1 weapon, 1 armor and any number of items.

Note: This is NOT a list of every item in the game. It's only a few.

Weapons
Dagger
+6 attack damage

Wand
+25% mana regen

Armor
Boots
+20 move speed

Amulet
+3 all stats

Items
Unstable Solution
Throws a solution at a target location, dealing 50 damage in an AoE.

Healing Vial
Restores 100 health over 10 seconds. Dispels on damage.

Screenshots
SS1: The map loading screen. Nothing revolutionary. :p
SS2: Planting the Rune at an outpost.
SS3: Rune time expires and explodes.
SS4: Terrain shot of a path in the Valley map.
SS5: Terrain shot in the Forest map.

Afterword
This post was probably a wall of text to most of you and you probably didn't read all of it. :p However, any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

• If you want a more detailed introduction and overview of the map, please click here.
  • If you're interested in helping with development or following the map's progress, feel free to visit the Runestrike forums.
  • If you just want to offer your feedback in this thread, that's fine too! I am anxious to hear what you have to say. :)
  • PS. I'm looking for beta testers.

Thanks for reading this thread!

Ghostwind

o________o
Reaction score
With an item system like that, you should completely abolish stat items. Every item should just give a special ability, for example blink, slow or hex.

Furthermore, I suggest you use the Ashenvale tileset rather than the Lordaeron Summer tileset; it looks a lot better, but it's pretty much the same thing.

carbonduck

Reaction score
Funny you should say that. I actually started off with the Ashenvale tileset and switched to the Lordaeron Summer. :p I'll compare the two again and see which one seems better for the overall atmosphere. I'm not really sure why I switched; I do like the Ashenvale tileset...

As for the items, I was designing it so that there are only stat items and no special ability items. Of course, the stats aren't overpowering by any means. Tomorrow, I'll update the OP with a list of the items and what they provide so you can see what I mean.

Could you elaborate on why you think that there should only be special ability items?

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
The name reminds me of Runescape >.>

The terrain choosing is like EotA? You pick a set and it is based on players and stuff?
Yes... EotA.... not DotA.

Also, that terrain is not very appealing :( Like Ghostwind said! Don't use Lordaeron Summer.

carbonduck

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. :) I've never played nor have I heard about EotA, so I don't really understand what you mean by that comparison.

I've decided to change back to the Ashenvale tileset. I'll upload new screenshots when I'm done fixing all the terrain. Was it just the tileset or is there anything else that makes the terrain unappealing? When I was making the terrain, I focused more on the strategic impact on gameplay (sight blocking trees, distance for travel between points, ramp positions, etc.) so the aesthetics may be lacking. :p

Update: I added some samples of the kind of items in Runestrike. Also, there was an important detail I forgot to mention: You can only have a max of 1 weapon and 1 armor at any time but you can have any number of consumable items which don't stack.

I designed the item system so that there would be varying strategies throughout the game. For instance, earlier rounds would be played differently from later rounds because the available items (and skills) are different.

Further feedback would be appreciated. :)

carbonduck

Reaction score
I changed the tileset from Lordaeron Summer to Ashenvale. It does look better, at least to me. I've updated the screenshots to reflect the new tileset.

Further feedback is appreciated. :D

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
Somewhat.

The screenshots are...... bad because you set textures to low? Why do you have video options to all low? Medium is the way to go :D

carbonduck

Reaction score
Haha. I play with Low settings for the sake of performance. I've taken the screenshots yet again with Medium settings. Btw, WC3 looks much better in Medium...!

carbonduck

Reaction score
I've gotten a couple beta testers and we tested the map for a few hours today. A lot of bugs were flattened and the gameplay flows smoothly now.

I'm still looking for a lot more testers for the sake of balance testing and future suggestions for the map. :) Please let me know if you're interested.

carbonduck

Reaction score
Actually, that's what I was aiming for: bringing the CS metagame over to WC3. Even the name of the map is a tribute to it. :D

carbonduck

Reaction score
The game has gone through a lot of changes recently. Items/weapons/armor have been revamped, heroes have been changed to be more unique and more fun to play, gameplay has changed to be faster yet just as strategic as before.

I've found a couple beta testers so far but more would be better. :)

Ian

Reaction score
Overall it was pretty fun..

For improvements, i'd say more items, i read a previous comment about haveing items with abilities, i do not suggest it,

Reason 1. Heros have different skills to be unique. Having item spells ruins the entire concept. If you want that skill, then choose the character that does.
Except of course (The Crash Everyones PC Dagger)

Reason 2. Auras can generate alot of help during the battlefield, but even still like i said before its not really worth putting item skills in. For the most part you shouldnt rely on items for survivability. If thus is the only way of surviving you need to change your strategy, or try a different hero.

I have not yet played every hero, but I have had ideas of a few which I will not post now for reasons not to be discussed.

(Murder Worship)

carbonduck

Reaction score
Hey MurderWorship. Thanks for the review + suggestions.

I really want to add some more diverse items but there really isn't much left to add. Like you said, I don't want to add "special ability" items because they would be game-breaking in a map concept such as this. Well, I don't know what that leaves but it's not a lot.

What could there possibly be? +stats. +hp. +mana. +attack speed. +mana regen. +dmg block. Those are all implemented already. For consumables, +hp and +mana as well as those grenades are implemented.

Dunno what else to put in. The only new items I could put in are different +stats/+dmg/+defense/+regen items with varying combinations of those abilities.

Sui-cookie

You can change this now in User CP.
Reaction score
heyheyhey, i didnt realize that you had a thread for this. I was a random stray beta tester you picked up the other day.

(atkthisifurgay)

its looking good so far, but when we were playing, items dropped on death... i dont suppose that would be well fitting with item combination would it? :/ i think it would open a new range of item possibilities if a combination system were added and abilities for items that dont add abilities, but modify existing ones. so to say that one spell that the rock guy had. the one that made a ring of rock around him, could be modified with an item to make it fiery? :eek:

anway, im there when you go to test. ;]

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.