Gaming Schwarzenegger appeals ruling on video game law

The Helper

Necromancy Power over 9000
Staff member
Reaction score
California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger appealed on Wednesday a federal judge's decision striking down a state law barring the sale of violent video games to minors.

U.S. District Judge Ronald Whyte ruled last month that the law passed in 2005 was unconstitutional, adding there was no evidence that violent video games were any more harmful than depictions of violence in television shows and movies.

Schwarzenegger, who acted in many violent movies, argued that violent video games should be for adults only.

Last edited:

pheonixashes

Those who misplace trust in gods learn their fate.
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted, but I had to on this one.

I'm glad Arnold did so; it won't stop idiots from complaining about violent video games and shifting blame to video games whenever there are teens and murders, but Arnold provided a good reason to strike it down, this will keep some people from complaining.

Anyway, go Arnold. He supports video games.

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
"Many studies show the link between playing ultra-violent video games and violent behavior. "

Bull. :)
Just because I see people slashing others with swords, doesn't mean I'm going to go out and do it. It's call self control, people.

I find this outrageous, that thats just me I guess. I could understand stuff like GTA being limited, but "Violent Videogames" is a very loose term. Whats considered Violent?

Super Smash Brothers? I mean, they are hitting each other around, being "Violent". Games like these are ment to be fun, and kids "Getting Violent from playing video games" is just a mask for parents that let their kids sit there all day, and then wonder why they get so angry at things. It's a mask for poor parenting skills.

Thats just my take on it, however.

seph ir oth

Mod'n Dat News Jon
Reaction score
DDRtist, there's always one stupid kid, or one stupid teen, that thinks "hey that's a cool move, and I hate this jockey kid, so why not do it to him?" Of course, no one can impersonate Street Fighter :p Ryu teh shit!

DDRtists

ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɹǝdns
Reaction score
DDRtist, there's always one stupid kid, or one stupid teen, that thinks "hey that's a cool move, and I hate this jockey kid, so why not do it to him?" Of course, no one can impersonate Street Fighter :p Ryu teh shit!

Yeah, but thats not the video games problem, thats a self control problem.
Like, I hear about people getting raped all the time, but does that mean I do it? Nah.

Come on people. :p

emjlr3

Change can be a good thing
Reaction score
would they have done it, or thought to do it were it not for the video games, or some other violent media?

not that I am saying it is there fault, nor that they should be banned for it(I too blame the parents, and possibly some crazyness in the kids themselves[in which case they should be secluded to a rubber room in the first place])

however, you cannot say there is not some positive correlation between violent games and violence in teens, however, I argue that is only a part of the picture, i am sure there is also a positive correlation between amount of time spent playing and violence, among other things, which shifts the blame to parenting...

just food for thought

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
> I cant buy games anymore
Only the good ones.
"Land of the pink ponies" or something similar should still be OK. But better ask your patents first.

This is all a bunch of BS. Just another brainwashed minion of Jack Thompson.

SFilip

Gone but not forgotten
Reaction score
If someone buys a game like that then they're probably safe - nothing to damage in the first place.

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
If they do make games unavailable to minors, bad things could happen. You never know how many people play games as an anti-stress reilever(sp). Maybe that's why "nerds" play video games (To take out some stress on virtual dudes)

but meh...

Reaction score
Guys making fun of me? lol. Land of the pink ponies is to vilent for me, I mean if you try to jump over the fence you hit it and you fall off the horse for a second. I prefer 'My little sweet pony' more. no violence whatesoever.

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
Pass the ban, in the end, it will have very little affect.

If one kid's parents will not buy him/her a "violent" game

One of thier freinds will have it.

Or, at the least, this was the way it always was when I was in middle school.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.