[Sci/Tech] ABSOLUTE HOT: Is there an opposite to absolute zero?

Malice-

Endlessly Known
Reaction score
Seems like an innocent enough question, right? Absolute zero is 0 on the Kelvin scale, or about minus 460 F. You can't get colder than that; it would be like trying to go south from the South Pole. Is there a corresponding maximum possible temperature?

Well, the answer, depending on which theoretical physicist you ask, is yes, no, or maybe. Huh? you ask. Yeah, that's how I felt. And the question doesn't just mess with the minds of physics dummies like me. Several physicists begged off of trying to answer it, referring me to colleagues. Even ones who did talk about it said things like "It's a little bit out of my comfort zone" and "I think I'd like to ruminate over it." After I posed it to one cosmologist, there was dead silence on the other end of the line for long enough that I wondered if we had a dropped call.

Read more...

enouwee

Non ex transverso sed deorsum
Reaction score
Well.. they always find new value for the absolute zero so..

No, the absolute zero is ... absolute: it has been fixed at 0°K and is unattainable, although scientists try to get closer and closer to it.

Temperatures of over 1 billion °K have already been reached in laboratory conditions.

Matemeo

Reaction score
Absolute zero is static, its the point at which the molecules stop moving, thus the coldest possible temperature.

If theres an opposite to abs zero, then it's gotta be huuugggeee..:eek:

esb

Because none of us are as cruel as all of us.
Reaction score
Isn't it like infinity? Or that one thing from Fantastic Four

Hero

─║╣ero─
Reaction score
No it can't be infinity because it would keep getting hotter.

If there is an opposite to Absolute Zero I am almost certain it will be something pertaining to Graham's number

Bartuc08

Mostly known as Zomby Jezuz
Reaction score
imagining an absolute ...hot...or whatever is like imaging how far the universe extends, it jsut hurts too much to think about, and they're around the same basic thing...

both we don't know how large(or high up) they can get, we know it has to stop somewhere, but yet it could (and possibly can) expand on forever

Asehujiko

Reaction score
The absolute hot will be the point where sub atomic particles move so fast that their magnetic field disintegrates.

Getting them to do that to prove it is another story.

MasterOfABCs

Unacceptable!
Reaction score
Though i don't know if i'm correct or not

from what I gathered this is a valid conclusion:

Min. and max. temp. have to be the same.

Absolute Zero = No movement.

That's a fact.

However, when particles are heated they vibrate.

The higher the temperature the faster the vibration.

At a high enough tempature the particle vibrates so strongly

That acually exists everywhere at once.

being everywhere at once is the same not moving.

Max Infinity = No movement

But, one thing can't exist everywhere, that violates the conservation of matter law or w/e.

Actually that fact that is vioalates tha law only further proves that the two are the same.

Captain professor siad it himself.

"At theses tempatures the rules change"

It makes sense to me.

Reaction score
Though i don't know if i'm correct or not

from what I gathered this is a valid conclusion:

Min. and max. temp. have to be the same.

Absolute Zero = No movement.

That's a fact.

However, when particles are heated they vibrate.

The higher the temperature the faster the vibration.

You were fine right up to "That acually exists everywhere at once". :nuts:

Max Infinity = No movement

..Why? And how on earth do you heat a particle to "Max Infinity"?

That acually exists everywhere at once.

No.

But, one thing can't exist everywhere, that violates the conservation of matter law or w/e.

..What?

Father_Yetti

Reaction score
All I have to say here is how can we assume to know anything with perfect accuracy when referring to science. Everything, and I mean everything is merely speculation backed with the highest probability of known and measurable occurrences. If you go into quantum and super string theories you really start to see how this is the case. In the end even science rest highly on faith, though I believe it is a faith that is more closely sustained and ascribed to consensus reality, but that ultimately there are no set standards. These are only the rules, or our measure of them for the time being, but all can change and who is to say how long a certain measure of scientific calculations will sustain, even if in billions of years, given eternity, this is nothing. This is obviously coming at this from a more philosophical stance, however maybe this is a more mature way to view this world in which we live. Science to me is what some atheist claim others do with God in that they claim man creates Him for areas in life we do not understand. I enjoy science, I believe as Einstein, that it is like finding God's fingerprints throughout time. But I feel that many turn to science and feel as if it offers a solid explanation for the things in which most humans place their faith. If you truly understand mathematics and science beyond entry level, or can grasp it philosophically then it requires as much faith as believers place in God. Science will continue to disprove itself as it evolves but it will never attain or fully hold the mysteries of the Universe. How can you dissect infinity to precision even if you can create a postulate for such increments. Infinity is beyond man, but it is not beyond God; who created man and all His universe. Most those greats who have tried to attain an understanding of infinity and come close end up going crazy. Just some food for thought.

hell_knight

Playing WoW
Reaction score
Absaloute Zero = 0K /-273C?
The temperature of something is how fast the molecules vibrate move w/e , if they completely stop then you can't get any colder than that.
Absaloute Hot is probaly when EVERYTHING disenergates.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.