Something like DoTA...

O

Omalley666

Well, I got this idea whil having a drink with my brother...but it doesn't matter, anyway, here is what I want to do...

1. Create Custom Heros
2. Create Custom Spells
3. Spawn Creeps ever X seconds
4. Spawn Super Creep Ever X Deaths

& I'm sure I will ad more later. but this is what I need for now if you do not mind >,<

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Well, let me give you a few pointers with the response :D

1) For heroes and abilities, don't use slowing (make the reduction small perhaps if you want to keep it) or stunning (1 second or nothing). If they're so bloody upset to want to use cheap stuns, since the guy keeps running, just blow up their bloody base and where does the guy have to run to now? EH?! Also, if you can help it, either take off wind walk altogether, raise the cooldown to be inefficient, or take off the critical attack. I have no problem with 00bar speed and invisibility, but I HATE suddenly being killed by a critical and then a spell of a sort like storm bolt--high damage and at a range. Obviously, this should just be done by changing/removing Buffs, effects, and some data scores to 0.

2) Spell making is pretty difficult and, if I recall correctly, sizes up the game quite a bit. Still, it could be nice to make a few different graphic in spells.

3) Yep, classic AoS. Make sure that the stats is the SAME! I've played a few games where people try to make it different by having someone's melee have lower hp but higher armo, lower damage but higher speed, and et cetera. In the end, it becomes one sided when you notice one side losing 75% of the time without the help of a hero. By all means, just change the model and sound of either side's units.

4) Good idea. Better be destroyable by a hero, though. You could also go to either make a Hero's death worth the hero's level in kills, or just have the separate "Hero Kills" that perhaps could spawn something larger than a Super Creep, for offensive and low-defensive players, who have a knack for killing a lot in their area--which ends up being small.

And a side note--MAKE THE AREA LARGE!! A lot of these games have way too many twisting passages. It's not really that I can't navigate through them or something, but it sucks to have to go get special items at the end of said passages and then have your fortress taken down--your hero takes a long time to navigate out of the pit. And teleportation rods are no use, their cooldown is too high, not to mention the valuable casting time.

So, make a wide open area and a huge fortress. Don't go bananas with the doodads though, just make the map as large as possible and make a lot of it empty space but with coolness--larger buildings and doodads placed in such a way that it gives the same eye candy effect that an inefficient placing of many doodads does. I might, if I can get my skins working, make a forest doodad to make a slightly smaller polygonal model for those who like having large forests but either don't like placing all the trees in blocks or feeling the lag when they load a map with thousands of trees.

O

Omalley666

AHA....I have one of those questions I knew I would not know the answer to.......anyway...How do I make the player(s) to win they must kill multiple creatures? Would I have to create a trigger for all the specific units?

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Make an integer array for each monster type. When a footman dies, add 1 to integervar1[Player number of Owner of Killing Unit]. When a ghoul dies, add 1 to integervar2[Player number of Owner of Killing Unit].

Then, if you want to combine the kills, you can make an integer array that is SET to the combination of all of the different kills for the end of the game.

And no problem :D

O

Omalley666

No go....Hmmmmmm....Do you have like....specific instructions, for I have never worked with arrays before.... :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
ARRAYS FOR DUMMIES :)D)

An array is a "sub list" of the variable. Basically, you can contain many things in these "lists" which in variables are called "arrays". It is difficult to explain, but maybe I can show you somehow.

Instead of FootmanKill01, FootmanKill02, ...FootmanKill12 which are 12 variables all containing a value (possibly integer), you can set it to be an array. This creates a list of whatever number max of the list you specify. It is then "in" the variable.

So, you make an Integer ARRAY called FootmanKill. Now, FootmanKill[1], FootmanKill[2], ...FootmanKill[12] are all "ONE" variable, making your triggers and programming a lot less tedious. You can do the same with strings, so you can have such like Fruits[Bananas, Watermelons, Apples] and et cetera.

-----------------

Now for what you do in the Editor.

Go to Triggers.

Click on the fancy "X" above the triggers to add/edit variables.

Add a variable.

Click on the dropdown and make it an Integer.

Click on the checkbox to make it an array and set the array amount to how many players that can play.

Now have a trigger where a unit is killed that is an enemy of the owner of the killing unit and then have it so that it adds to CreepKills[Player number of Owner of killing unit]. This way, each player has a "data bank" on their kills. Now for what you want to do, you may add SuperCreepKills, which require in their trigger for you to kill a "Super Creep" under a certain unit type. Simply have in the condition: unit-type is (Super Creep type here).

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'll give you a trigger doing some of this--but you better make the variables that I will add in a list!

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Code:
CreepKills
    Events
        Unit - A unit Dies
    Conditions
        ((Triggering unit) is A Hero) Equal to False
        ((Triggering unit) is A structure) Equal to False
        ((Dying unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Killing unit))) Equal to True
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                And - All (Conditions) are true
                    Conditions
                        (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Not equal to (Super Creep Team 1)
                        (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Not equal to (Super Creep Team 2)
            Then - Actions
                Set NCreepKills[(Player number of (Owner of (Killing unit)))] = (NCreepKills[(Player number of (Owner of (Killing unit)))] + 1)
            Else - Actions
                Set SCreepKills[(Player number of (Owner of (Killing unit)))] = (SCreepKills[(Player number of (Owner of (Killing unit)))] + 1)

SpawnSuperCreep Good Side
    Events
        Unit - A unit Dies
    Conditions
        ((Dying unit) belongs to an enemy of Player 1 (Red)) Equal to True
    Actions
        If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            If - Conditions
                NCreepKills[(Player number of (Owner of (Killing unit)))] Greater than or equal to SCreep[1]
            Then - Actions
                (Create 1 SCreep for Team 1's Computer at your Super Creep spawning region)
                Set SCreep[1] = (SCreep[1] + 5)
                Game - Display to (All players) for 5.00 seconds the text: Super Creep spawned...
            Else - Actions

VARIABLE LIST

SCreep -- Integer Array of 2. 1 for Team 1 (represented by a colored computer, perhaps, like other AoSs), and the other for Team 2 (same thing). Initial Value isn't 0, but whatever you want to set your original setting point to be. With these triggers, each player's kills are individual so you have to all on your own get the set kills to unleash a Super Creep. In the second Trigger, you need to add the SCreep against the next number. Basically, I presume you need 5 kills to get a Super Creep, so you get 1 when you get 5 kills, then 1 when you get 10, then 1 for every 5 kills after that. Simply change the +5 to say +50 and set the initial value to fifty, and you will get a Super Creep per 50 kills done by any player on team 1.

SCreepKills -- I didn't make it work in these triggers, but you can track Super Creep deaths with the first trigger. Perhaps you can make a trigger that gives you some gold per 3 Super Creep deaths or something. Anyway, it's an Integer Array of 12 with an obvious 0 as initial value.

NCreepKills -- Same as above, only via the first trigger it tracks kills of ANY unit that is not a hero, not a structure, and not a super creep. Like the above, it's an Integer Array of 12 with 0 as initial value.

O

Omalley666

....my brain is hurting now...T_T Anyway, I thank you for your patience and help but I'm sure I'll get it eventually...but don't think of this as a waste :(

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Nah, I really don't contemplate wasting :D

...Even if you don't use my help to make this AoS :p

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

*Tries to find a humble comment and fails*

:cool:

*Floats away...Matrix style*

Several minutes later....

*Teleports in*

Ah yes, now that I think about it, Acehart could suggest a more completed set of triggers that works better and is more efficient, but he takes a while to reply, unfortunately. Perhaps you'll be lucky enough to get a response sooner or later.

AceHart

Your Friendly Neighborhood Admin
Reaction score
Well, he already said "It works"...
What more do you want to see? ;)

Actually, "kill multiple creatures" is a bit vague a description.
Seems to fit a whole lot of map types.

We will see, if there's more questions coming up here in this thread... :)

AceHart

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
AceHart said:
Actually, "kill multiple creatures" is a bit vague a description.
Seems to fit a whole lot of map types.

We will see, if there's more questions coming up here in this thread... :)

Yea. But, as far as he makes sense IMHO, he means that you, perhaps, may need to kill a certain number of structures to win, too.

FYI, Omalley, most AoSs use a trigger If (your centre base structure) is dead, set these guys lost and these guys won. Of course, you most likely are trying to do something different, just letting you know.

O

Omalley666

Next Question...I'm trying to make a sniping hero (yes kinda like in DoTA...) that has an ability to add to his max range from which he can fire. What would the bass ability be and/or what else do I need to do?

O

Omalley666

Rinpun said:
Yea. But, as far as he makes sense IMHO, he means that you, perhaps, may need to kill a certain number of structures to win, too.

FYI, Omalley, most AoSs use a trigger If (your centre base structure) is dead, set these guys lost and these guys won. Of course, you most likely are trying to do something different, just letting you know.

Hmmm, thanks :D

Rinpun

Ex TH Member
Reaction score
Permanent (A level-up) or exactly like DotA?

DotA style (I hated their sniper though--so bloody cheap!)

They actually have ANOTHER model. I'm trying to remember exactly what, but try basing it off bear form or find some way of setting the model's attack to the original sniper's with an addition based on the level of Sniper Mode.

Permanent

Simple range-upgrade. Take it from Long Rifles and then make a dummy ability based off Attribute Bonus (with 0 points given to stats at any time). Then, make a trigger that whenever you learn a level in "Sniper's Eye", raise the Long Rifles upgrade by a level. If you set the increment and base to 50 of Long Rifle, you will have a permanent range upgrade of 50 per level of "Sniper's Eye".

XXXconanXXX

Cocktails anyone?
Reaction score
The Long Rifles idea is pretty good, but when it comes to range and changing projectile stats I use Barrage. Set it's number of units hit to 1 and AoE to like 10 and change it's levels to what you want and make it a hero ability. Now you can set it's range a little above one another and there you have it.

I didn't read thise whole thing but, I've realized from other posts and such that the only real thing that sizes the map to a very big map is imported things. ( I do not mean laggy but a long loading time and longer download time) Thingsa such as doodads, NUMBER of spells and units, and triggers only lag the game if you have them by the bulk. What I mean is 100 triggers isn't going to lag the game very much (only if they are a bunch of "every .10 seconds") and 300 doodads aren't going to lag the game, it's only when you have 20,000 doodads and 500 triggers. As long as you don't "paint" the map with doodads and units, you'll be fine. and don't make to many triggers that fire very very often. Take Mind's map for example, his is not THAT laggy and he has ALOT of doodads (roughly 10,000) and ALOT of other things going on and it really isn't all that laggy. Only RPG and scenario maps need to focus on cutting the lag when they are finished, and us AoS maps don't need to worry about it that much. I have ALOT of triggers, custom spells,(meaning they are VERY triggered) and ALOT of things going on at the same time and it doesn't lag at all when I try it on Battle.net. (even if you don't have people in the game on Battle.net, the lag will still show)

If you really want to test if you map lags or not, make a new game on Battle.net and make it private then start the game. The lag of the map will really shine if you do that. Remeber, even fi you don't have people in the game when you start it, the lag will still show just because your on Battle.net.

The proof is in maps like Emnity Campaign and DotA. Emnity Campaign takes a while to load and download, but that's just because of alot of imported things and the amount of thigns going on and it doesn't lag at all when you start the game. DotA doesn't have anything imported, and it's 1.9 Megabytes and it takes a while to load, but doesn't lag in game. I don't mean the people with very crappy computers and on Dial-up, lagging like hell and pausing the game, I mean very choppy gameplay and freezing up alot.

The best way to explain Variable arrays is that they are many different variables put into one. So let's say you wanted to keep track of the amount of gold a player makes. You'd have to make an interger variable for each player, but you can accomplish the same thing if you use an integer array. (remember, a variable array of size 1 has the same effect as a normal variable)

One tip for AoS maps is to put some sort of uniqueness to it. Like Rinpun said, you don't need to make each team have totally different stats like one side having huge armor but little damage and another having huge damage but little armor. Maybe adding some modes most AoS maps don't use. Or having a crazy thing where instead of choosing one hero, a player picks from a few "holders" that hold various heros in the form of items. So they can summon one to level up, and when they pull another, it pulls out that hero and removes the other hero. Just a thought and it'd be good for molding strategy and a good, balanced way for players to have more than one hero without having to deal with multiple heros that can make the game very fast and horrible when your focusing on micromanaing big groups of units.

General chit-chat
Help Users

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.