Spells sharing an ID

Smitty

Reaction score
Hi there all :)

Anyone know if there's any reason I shouldn't base ALL my passive trigger-assisted abilities off the same passive ability, even on the same hero (ie. Evasion). Since the unit never needs to cast the ability, and all effects are rendered by triggers, I don't think there would be an issue, but I'd like to confirm with those who know :)

Similarly, would using an identical base ability for active spells work, if the effects were again purely executed by triggers? Would this confuse a trigger using the event 'a unit begins casting an ability' with a condition to check the ability being cast?

Just a couple of issues which would make my mapping easier if resolved, thanks vey much in advance for any help :)

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
Passive abilities do not have order ID's, thus it is absolutely okay to base all your passive abilities off of the same base ability.

However, this does not work for the majority of active abilities.
The Game does not care about what ability you use, all that counts for the code is the ID string of the order given.
You can create as many abilities in the game as you like but the number of order ID's is limited. If you copy an ability it will still have the same order ability as the base ability.

One unit cannot have multiple abilities with the same order string, it just doesnt work.

But there are very few active abilities which allow you to change the order string.
These are:
1) Spellbook
2) Charge Gold / Lumber
3) Channel

For the most active abilities which are triggered channel is a very good choice since the entire purpose of this ability is to be the base for triggered abilities.
However, even channel has some flaws like not showing a missle for example nor giving buffs.

GFreak45

I didnt slap you, i high 5'd your face.
Reaction score
just a sort of interjection here...

there is a major difference between Order Strings and ID strings, ID strings cannot be the same for 2 different objects and here is why...

If you use the same ID for 2 spells, units, or items (can be changed with vjass) the 2 will become 1 in the object editor and merge the fields.

Each ID string starts with a letter and that determines what type of object it is... IE: I = item, A = Ability, etc... im not sure how to find them all but if you do change an ID of one do not change the first letter, i dont know how world editor will react if you change objects into other object types.

inevit4ble

Reaction score
you can set the Object ID to whatever you like.
Your only limitation is each needs to be unique.
For example:
I utilize an item indexing system which uses the raw codes for various things.
For weapons their codes start with ws/wm/we then another 2 letters
For armor al, am , ah and shields , ss , st etc

Im not 100% sure but I believe you are not forced to keep it 4 characters either, I have used 3 letters previously but i'm not sure if more than 4 would cause problems

GFreak45

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, then is the only reason for the initial code to have a letter that corresponds with the object type for the editor to organize them in its own way?

because I am creating a few different items (equipped with a unique system) that would be awesome to have corresponding abilities adding special effects that look like equipped armor

inevit4ble

Reaction score
The initial code is just the default of the editor. Its only in newgen (that I've noticed) where you have the option of adjusting the codes

GFreak45

Reaction score
ya i knew that one... just very interested in using the IDs as a way to make my systems WAY easier to program

inevit4ble

Reaction score
The custom raw codes used with a ASCII gives you a lot to play with, because you can start check the string of the ID and do all sorts of cool stuff

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.