Spilling pop on keyboard

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
Anyone know what you use to clean a keyboard after you have spilled pop on it, i'm using a natural elite keyboard, one that will seperate into 3 different parts when you take it apart, and it has that plastic sheet with silicon paths all around it, anyone know how to clean it so it works properly?

Wargasm

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
i think that is a no go .
soon some liquid hits it it makes contact with the other keys and it short circuits (prolly spelled wrong)

that's why i use a rubber keyboard aka the virtual undestroyable keyboard hehee

NoNameRequired

Administrator and Blizzard Tech FAQ Editor
Reaction score
I spilled Coke on my keyboard a few months ago myself. All I did was disassemble the keyboard and cleaned off the dried coke with a wet cloth. I got lucky, no keys were internally harmed.

Rapmaster

Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
You should be able to pop most of the keys off and clean it out. Be careful popping off some special keys like SPACE BAR and ENTER, and especially CAPS LOCK/NUM LOCK because those are a bit harder to put back on.

Is it just sticky, or does it seem like its actually damaged?

I had one that I thought was dead because of a spill, but a few months later it was 100% fine. I guess it needed to dry out.

Dtere

Administrator
Reaction score
no this is one of those keyboards that splits into 3 seperate groups of keys, they don't pop off individually, because it's a natural keyboard (the one with the split in the middle of it)

Well lets just say, i took it upstairs let it sit in the tub for awhile (without the chip in it) and let it dry, took it back down to the computer

plugged it in, and it was even worse than it was, but, from experience i know if you don't atleast try to get it cleaned up, the problem spreads to other keys and then like half your keyboard will be all f*d up.

MnkyOf[-]ate

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
I've taken them apart before.
use a jewlers screwdriver, or a very small phillips (#1) to take the plastic / metal covers off the back of each of the 3 sections.

after that the rest should be self explanitory, its not too complex.

But, the best advice I can give anyone, is to IMMEDIATLY unplug the keyboard when a drink has been spilled on it... otherwise the liquid will short out 2 copper traces to one another, and end up corroding the tracing making your keyboard useless.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.