General Student Braves Controversy, Refuses to Recite Pledge

Status
Not open for further replies.

uberfoop

~=Admiral Stukov=~
Reaction score
A person should say the Pledge of Allegiance, because its called respect. Honestly? People die for that flag everyday and people are too ignorant to respect it by saying the Pledge of Allegiance.
It would be far more insulting to their memories to go about mindlessly reciting syllables because of a principle they didn't fight and die for than to exercise the terms of those that they did.

Additionally, whether you see their deaths as something that needs be respected in the sense of increased patriotism is very subjective anyway. If you possess a zero point that suggests that many of the recent American deaths have been wastes, a zero point possessed by a reasonable proportion of Americans, you wind up seeing it more as a 'respect the dead but hate the froodlenutzsky out of the system' kind of thing, which will lead to a conclusion quite opposite from yours even given the same objective information.

This kid doesn't deserve to be in the news.
Agreed.

In High School, I almost never said the pledge of allegiance, on several grounds:
1-Saying something constantly sucks all of the meaning from it, and constantly saying something meaningless is just pathetic and stupid.
2-Expecting people to say a pledge every few days implies to me that it expires every few days, which is a concept that made me laugh, and it's hard to take seriously a pledge that I see as a really stupid joke.
3-The pledge implies that the nation is great enough that it shouldn't have to constantly be pledged to, thus rendering itself completely pointless.
4-In the event that those perhaps unrigorous philosophizings were not satisfactory, my fallback reasoning is that I'm just too lazy to stand up and/or move my mouth for something so unimportant in any direct way to my day.

Ninva

Анна Ахматова
Reaction score
I'm going to laugh so hard when Ninva's son becomes a pissed-off, raging homosexual. Good luck telling your kids how to think, buddy. That always works out well.

As long as he/she isn't a businessperson or politician, I'm happy.

ElderKingpin

Post in the anime section, or die.
Reaction score
At frosthowl:
i dont think thats the point xD...

Ninva-

The flag isnt a god :thup: its different then pledging your allegiance to ALLAH then pledging your allegiance to the Stars and Stripes

At my private school. we pledge to the American flag, Christian flag, and the Bible. On Tuesdays to Thursdays. And it is true. that people just dont care for doing it everyday, because i see my classmates getting pretty sick of it :/

Lyerae

I keep popping up on this site from time to time.
Reaction score
> But I have one question for you. How does a belief make a person ignorant?

Belief in the afterlife makes one ignorant of the possibilty of a true death (just one example).

Now before you go hatin' on my, I used to be an Atheist. Now, I'm not sure. Something inside me believes there is a God, but just a small, small part still isn't conviced just yet.

Wiseman_2

Missy wants blood!
Reaction score
But I have one question for you. How does a belief make a person ignorant?
Because they [can] become so blinded by that belief, that they cannot possibly see any alternative, no matter how much more it might be based on fact.
It's Russell's teapot:
"If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is an intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time."

chanta45

Reaction score
Ninva, i'm curious to one thing that has always irked me. How can you say homosexuality is wrong, when all perceptions, morales, ethics, are decided by us? If ones culture embraced homo-eroticism in some form or another under their belief in god, can you chasten them (Moreso their beliefs) because you are completely aware of the "truth"? Alot of Christianity I find, now this is my opinion, works on the power of suggestion. After you've been informed of this omnipotent God, any good luck is given unto from the Grace of god, it's not just luck anymore.

I'm not going to lie, i've asked for help from whatever higher power there may be... We feel inspired by things we don't understand, but at what point can you decide what actions are deemed perverse and immoral, and what is your reasoning for those beliefs?

Failenx

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
Hey buddy, don't push it. There is no perfect man. To hate my lifelong friend just because he has decided that he wants to have sex with a man instead of a woman is counterproductive in my eyes. In any case, I should love him more. The guy doesn't need to be rebuked every day, but a short nudge of disapproval is all that I can do. He's going to be abandoned by the highly religious world. I may be the only Christian who can provide him a loving hand if he needs one. I told him the day he confessed his homosexuality that I disagreed with his decision, but I still love him as a brother. This reply meant so much to him. If your brother committed a horrible sin, would you condemn him? No, you would help him.

Now, I'm not the best Christian. I indulge in sinful words of philosophers, and I write my own. You are not in the position to ridicule me, but I understand your argument quite well. I do not hate homosexuals, but I despise homosexuality. I do not feel an ounce higher than any of them because I know how corrupt I am.

Will homosexuality send my friend to hell? It's possible, but every sin can send you to hell. The only thing that matters is his faith in Christ. Only through faith can one be saved, and if he remains in the one true faith, then my friend is saved. He's a Christian as far as I know. If he decides to forsake his faith, then I'm not sure how I'd react. Hopefully, I'll be guided to do the right thing.

This is my belief as a Christian. You can proceed to babble about my unwillingness to conform, but I want to love my friend to the highest degree. I want him to see that God still has a plan for him, and maybe he'll turn from his evil ways one day. But all I can do is pray and wait.

I respect your philosophy. It's related to an Egyptian one, which modern-Christianity is related to. But I have one question for you. How does a belief make a person ignorant? Is anyone who believes in one truth ignorant? I think not. You can easily say those who believe in gravity are ignorant. They narrowly believe that an apple will fall if you drop it.

As an Atheist, I find this post funny. (it seems like you live in a fake, unreal world)

Anyways, believing in a religion makes you ignorant in a way. If someone opposes your religious beliefs, you will always reject it. That makes you ignorant. It seems to be the same for you in homosexuality.

tooltiperror

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I find Ninva right.

I'm a devout Jew (Let the flaming begin...) and I believe in perfect faith in my g(o)d.

In the event of Homosexual Men, I do feel uncomfortable, because they may have a sexual desire to touch my Penis. So might women, but I'm attracted to women, so I feel fine around them. And that, I think, is the essence of why people are awkward around Gay men.

I think that the gays and me get each other.

I think that the gay people should get married, and straight people should go to jail. That would be interesting.

Pineapple

Just Smile.
Reaction score
Locked.

Please take this raging debate to the debate forum. That way I'll get to delete that once it goes out of hand too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.