Terraining - Smooth Waterfall Tutorial

X

xfriox

it was an ok tut but lacking majorly. Even though it was a rush job like you said there really isn't a waterfall. its overall look is horrible if you ask me there are alot better waterfall tuts out there.....

Xapphire

Liberty, Simply said; a lie.
Reaction score
Hey, the point of the tut there isn't the point to be the best waterfall ever, it isn't even meant to look good in the picture, its epic, its new, no one uses that method, perhaps thats just what you map needs, its something you don't see everyday, maybe to increase majority, or diversity, you know, it can look really good if u ask me :)

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
Alright, I tried again, I got it once. Then I tried again. Now it just looks like the pictures attached. It works in some places. And doesn't work in some places.

Hello.jpg

Hello2.jpg

Tinki3

Special Member
Reaction score
For starters I would just like to point out how old this is. If I could properly update it so the end product looks much better, then I would
Please do, now.

Your last update was on April 22nd.
This could actually be Graveyard-worthy, but since I'm such a nice person,
I'm going to leave it in this forum and give you a second, or, 50th chance to update :)

You need to make the tutorial higher-quality, longer (more pics and what not), and have more parts more explanatory.

Looking forward to that.

Sooda

Diversity enchants
Reaction score
I think "It dosn' t work" is caused by not having water below where you want to make waterfall. It means when you have water on level 5 cliffs then the cliffs from that side should be surrounded with water on your destination. Then water can be 'connected'. Nice tutorial.

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
I think "It dosn' t work" is caused by not having water below where you want to make waterfall. It means when you have water on level 5 cliffs then the cliffs from that side should be surrounded with water on your destination. Then water can be 'connected'. Nice tutorial.

If you're talking to me I did have water around it. Look on the top right corner of picture 2. The whole thing was basically water.

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Tinki3, today I was going to update this tutorial. But then I saw some of my earliest posts were not able to be edited. Then, I looked to my original post, and it too couldn't be edited. :(

I guess there is a time expiration for posts, that when up makes the posts un-editable, most likely to conserve history so we can't go back and change it. :p

So, I can't edit it. :( There wasn't more I could add, unless I broke it down so a two year old could read it. I was hoping to be able to get new screenshots, but unless you have a solution, I can't. :(

Have a good one. :)

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Create a new post with the tutorial, and we will merge it with the original up there.

- OR -

I can copy-paste the tutorial down there under your name, you edit it freely, and I merge it again with the original one. Advantage of doing so? You don't need to actually rewrite the whole thing ;)

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
(If this is possible)

You can copy-paste the post, then put it into
Code:
 tags, so that all the BB code will show.  Then, I edit it to what I want, then post the new version here.  You copy the text (BB and all) and paste it over the original post.

Voilà, an updated tutorial. :P  After all is done you can remove the posts where we "exchange" the tutorial, or edit them.

Would that work?

[B][U]Edit:[/U]  Wait, is that what you meant by Merge? And by posting under my name, do you mean like editing one of my existing posts that I can edit, so that i can change it there? I am so lost. :P[/B]

[U]EDIT[/U] From Dax: Sure ;)

[size=5] Tutorial starts below this line[/size]

[code]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Crimson"][SIZE="4"][U]Halo_king116's Smooth Waterfall Tutorial![/U][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

For starters I would just like to point out how old this is.  If I could properly update it so the end product looks much better, then I would.  But I can't at the moment, so bear with me, please. :)  I'm sure your end product will be 400 times better than mine.  It's the technique you should be learning from this, not tips from me :P

Okay, anyways... First off, for this to work you need to uncheck: "Advanced > Enforce Water Height Limits".

Then you do the first step of making a normal waterfall. You first make 2 or 3 levels of cliff. On the top level fill it will deep water, and surround the bottom with it too (Where you want the water, leave out the areas you want land). 

[B]You should have this:[/B]

[IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1196/waterfall17bx.jpg[/IMG]

[B]Now, remove the cliff around the edges (Decrease Two) like so: [/B] 

[IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/1869/waterfall35ke.jpg[/IMG]

[B]This is how it looks after you added some doodads, such as flowers as shrubs.  Rocks look great on waterfalls.  Bear with me, as I am not a master terraininer  :rolleyes: [/B]

[IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/5646/waterfall28jm.jpg[/IMG]

Now, your end product is a unique style of waterfall.  This is a hard type to master, though can become a very nice piece of terrain.  [I]Remember, the undo button can be your best friend![/I]

Have a nice day, all!  I hope this taught you something :)

Sim

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
> EDIT From Dax: Sure ;)

;)

Just modify it as you see fit. I'll take care of the rest.

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Okay, thanks! :)

I have ran into a problem tonight, I had to leave in a hurry. So, I guess sorry I won't be able to finish tonight. I will PM you when I am done with it. :)

(Sorry about this, this weekend took an unexpected turn to being busy)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.