Terraining - Smooth Waterfall Tutorial

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Halo_king116's Smooth Waterfall Tutorial!

For starters I would just like to point out how old this is. If I could properly update it so the end product looks much better, then I would. But I can't at the moment, so bear with me, please. :) I'm sure your end product will be 400 times better than mine. It's the technique you should be learning from this, not tips from me :p

Okay, anyways... First off, for this to work you need to uncheck: "Advanced > Enforce Water Height Limits".

Then you do the first step of making a normal waterfall. You first make 2 or 3 levels of cliff. On the top level fill it will deep water, and surround the bottom with it too (Where you want the water, leave out the areas you want land).

You should have this:

waterfall17bx.jpg

Now, remove the cliff around the edges (Decrease Two) like so:

waterfall35ke.jpg

This is how it looks after you added some doodads, such as flowers as shrubs. Rocks look great on waterfalls. Bear with me, as I am not a master terraininer :rolleyes:

waterfall28jm.jpg

Now, your end product is a unique style of waterfall. This is a hard type to master, though can become a very nice piece of terrain. Remember, the undo button can be your best friend!

Have a nice day, all! I hope this taught you something :)

ReVolver

Mega Super Ultra Cool Member
Reaction score
Just weird seeing this again. :p Nice Job
icon14.gif

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Well, it had good reviews last time. And it wasn't on the WET site (Unless I'm blind :() It's simple, and has pretty pictures :D

By the way... Chuck Norris didn't invent TH.net... Mr. Rogers assigned told a bunch of kids to design it... As his last wish before he sadly died and was thrown into a hole and buried. So... Really it was Mr. Rogers who created TH.net.

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Well I guess I'll bump this.

No real reason, except that perhaps some more will learn from this. As I said above numerous times I didn't make it look good, but used properly it can be a great technique that can be mastered. If I could re-do the screenies I would, but I can't until around Wednesday.

Well anyways, enjoy. Hopefully someone will learn :)

Have a nice day! :)

Void

Reaction score
Now put further waterfalls with invisible tint on that and you get great effects :D

~GaLs~

† Ғσſ ŧħə ѕαĸε Φƒ ~Ğ䣚~ †
Reaction score
i do it as u said halo...but it comes out like nothing happens to the cliff...if something happens...the whole cliff got ''crashed'' or messed up...>.<

I wonder how u do that..

Ghan

Administrator - Servers are fun
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, this tutorial is certainly informative, and I never knew you could do that in the first place, however; it is a bit short. Is there nothing else you can add to it to give some more body? I realize that there's not a whole lot to say here, but even so....

Sevion

The DIY Ninja
Reaction score
When I do as the tut says my cliff just ends and I can see under the water. It looks like the water is just a large flat blanket that floats over the indention in the mountain/hill/cliff whatever you want to call it.

Xapphire

Liberty, Simply said; a lie.
Reaction score
Man, this with the right amount of Doods and Trees and a backround would rule, very nice.

PurgeandFire

zxcvmkgdfg
Reaction score
Well, this tutorial is certainly informative, and I never knew you could do that in the first place, however; it is a bit short. Is there nothing else you can add to it to give some more body? I realize that there's not a whole lot to say here, but even so....

I think the only thing that he could add is about the doodads or how to make them without cliffs. But there is already a tutorial for that, which is nicely explained here:

http://www.thehelper.net/forums/showthread.php?t=19738

Halo_king116

Working As Intended
Reaction score
Sorry I have not replied lately. If you have read the thread in the WotE forum, you would know I have been absent for the previous two weeks, being as I was at camp.

There is not too much I could add. I myself am not that good at the technique, I actually stumbled upon it one day, did some tests, and came out with this result.

I should make a new example with a prettier result. I could also try to fill it in a bit more, once I've got the time to do so.

And TheHelper, thanks for all the bumps. For a while I had forgoteen I had even written this.

When I do as the tut says my cliff just ends and I can see under the water. It looks like the water is just a large flat blanket that floats over the indention in the mountain/hill/cliff whatever you want to call it.

I am not sure what to say to this. Try from stratch on a test map, and see if that works. Posting a screenshot will help us help you, too.

Man, this with the right amount of Doods and Trees and a backround would rule, very nice.

Thanks. :)

All in all, I thank you all who have commented on the tutorial either here or over MSN. If you have further problems, or can supply further information and existing problems, make sure to post it.

Have a nice day.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

No members online now.

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.