The Great Gatsby (2012)

thewrongvine

The Evolved Panda Commandant
Reaction score
The Great Gatsby
Trailer 1:
From the uniquely imaginative mind of writer/producer/director Baz Luhrmann comes the new big screen adaptation of F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, The Great Gatsby. The filmmaker will create his own distinctive visual interpretation of the classic story, bringing the period to life in a way that has never been seen before, in a film starring Leonardo DiCaprio in the title role. "The Great Gatsby" follows Fitzgerald-like, would-be writer Nick Carraway as he leaves the Midwest and comes to New York City in the spring of 1922, an era of loosening morals, glittering jazz and bootleg kings. Chasing his own American Dream, Nick lands next door to a mysterious, party-giving millionaire, Jay Gatsby, and across the bay from his cousin, Daisy, and her philandering, blue-blooded husband, Tom Buchanan. It is thus that Nick is drawn into the captivating world of the super-rich, their illusions, loves and deceits. As Nick bears witness, within and without the world he inhabits, he pens a tale of impossible love, incorruptible dreams and high-octane tragedy, and holds a mirror to our own modern times and struggles.​
--- --- ---​
Uh, I don't know how I feel about this yet. I think the cast is great. Not sure about Luhrmann's take on this. I don't like how a lot of people are judging it already though, just based on the trailer. Looks interesting anyway, might not be correct in terms of staying with the feel of the book, but as a film on its own, doesn't look bad.​

FireCat

Oh Shi.. Don't wake the tiger!
Reaction score
thewrongvine said:
I don't like how a lot of people are judging it already though, just based on the trailer.
But mostly, you can tell if a movie is going to be good or not Just from the trailer.

Well, anyway, it's looks kind of boring movie.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
But mostly, you can tell if a movie is going to be good or not Just from the trailer.

Well, anyway, it's looks kind of boring movie.

Er... not at all. Trailers are not accurate depictions of a movie. Would you judge a book from its cover?

And FireCat, Gatsby may not look that exciting there, as it's not some summer action-packed blockbuster, but have you read the book by F. Scott Fitzgerald? That's what it's based off.

FireCat

Reaction score
Er... not at all. Trailers are not accurate depictions of a movie. Would you judge a book from its cover?
You can. Of course is not always accurate, but you can still feel how the movie would be and in the end if you anyway did watch it. you had mostly right about what you thought about the movie. ha

covers? Sometimes, sure lol but not in the same way.

Accname

2D-Graphics enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience with movie trailers is that most of the time after you watched the trailer you dont need to see the movie anymore. Anything awesome in the movie has been shown in the trailer already and the rest is usually of lower quality.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
But most of the time, you still will see it anyway, eventually. Then you can judge it fairly.
What I'm saying is, seeing it or not is up to you, but judging and rating it is a different thing.
Based off of trailers, there are plenty of films that look really exciting, but the actual film is different, but if you went off of the trailer, you'd think the movie was good. Similarly, there are plenty of films with trailers that look horrible, yet the actual film can turn out to be great.
You might miss out on something wonderful if you always just assume from a first impression, :O

FireCat

Reaction score
I don't really agree. You can still judging and rating Based off the trailers.
Well, you know what type of movie you like, and there's not Just one trailers out there!

Well, but , I do agree with you on this one
Similarly, there are plenty of films with trailers that look horrible, yet the actual film can turn out to be great.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Yeah, I get what you mean with the genre or type of movie you like. What I meant though was actually like rating and judging it in terms of whether or not it's a good movie. I understand saying something isn't your type of film, or that it may look boring, but that's different than saying a film is bad and deserves a low score, just based off of the trailer.

BlowingKush

I hit the blunt but the blunt hit me.
Reaction score
no offense to anyone but I thought the book was aweful
I read it in high school and have yet to understand why it was deemed a literary gem.
The book is dry, boring, and really doesn't derserve the scrutiny it gets.

I really hope this movie can bring some life into this severley overated, boring read.

My first sentence is also punctuated incorrectly and I dont give a shit.

thewrongvine

Reaction score
Eh, I enjoyed the book. The characters are really interesting, mainly Gatsby, and in terms of why it's a literary gem, I'd say because Fitzgerald puts in some real deep symbolism about the America era at the time, and schools love that kind of stuff. But yeah, I found it a nice read. Intriguing characters, well-written, unexpected story. I can see how it may get boring though, since it's a lot of random talking and thoughts but, I don't know, it was interesting.

KaerfNomekop

Swim, fishies. Swim through the veil of steel.
Reaction score
It was boring when I read it while sleepy. After I woke up, I read it again and it was so much better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.