Third Person Shooter - TEST(Map)

Heizo

Reaction score
I have to say...That was really, really awesome. Can't wait for you to finish it and release it. XD

Dirac

Reaction score
Hmm interesting, i still dont get how do you determine how distance the unit is in the Z plane of the caster...
Code:
            _____Target
Caster_____|Z

Z = ?

RaiJin

Reaction score
it should be teh other way around.. wsad to move and up down left right to aim

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
cool, free bumps i guess :) thanks, im actually trying to work on the non shooting stuff as of now such as all the game start stuff, respawning, switching classes during game and etc. i havent started on the terrain however, but i have a general idea of how it will be laid out. HOWEVER, i am having a hell of a time trying to balance out the auto aim. if I simply just make the accuracy alot worse while using it, then its balanced but it feels crappy since your aiming is worse, and if i increase the accuracy any then you get easy boom headshots by just tapping the W key while aiming. Basically its a real pain in the ass because I dont know what I should do with the auto aim. I want to keep it and want it to be used alot, but not some god mode type of thing. any suggestions?

hey dirac...

Set Shooter_Loc = (Position of playerHero[(Player number of (Owner of (Casting unit)))])
Custom script: set udg_LocZ=GetLocationZ(udg_Shooter_Loc)
Set Z_Shooter = (LocZ + 128.00)

this code finds the z height of the caster, but when defining the z shooter variable, it adds on a 128 because that is where your crosshair would be or in other words it is the height your camera is set to or eye view.

the same thing is done with each target, except instead of +128, there are three variables target head, chest, and legs that will find the center points of each body part which are then compared with the bullet trajectory height change.

edit- rajin, i wish i could switch it around but unfortunately it can not be done. :(

Dirac

Reaction score
Know that if you look up, there are still some corpses floating, it's very weird

BlackRose

Forum User
Reaction score
It is awesome! But tapping the WASD key, like others said, is hard! How do you change bullets? I could only fire that same one.

the_ideal

user title
Reaction score
Two things that bugged me:
1) the amount you can look around is too little. I think it's good that you don't allow the screen to go all over the place, but you need more flexibility
2) you don't turn as you walk (I'm sure you are planning on fixing this)

Other than that, it looks awesome.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Know that if you look up, there are still some corpses floating, it's very weird
haha, surprised no one else said anything about this. i just never bothered changing the death animation, definitely wont be like that on actual map. :)

crazy that you did everything in gUi
;/ it would probably be more efficient for me to just code it all, but im too slow at it since i end up spending more time trying to remember all the generic black box functions than actually working on what i want, so i just make some smaller functions that i call in custom scripts for the most part.

It is awesome! But tapping the WASD key, like others said, is hard! How do you change bullets? I could only fire that same one.
it seems the wasd tapping is a hit or miss with some people as some can deal with it, others cant which is ok. it can be pretty hard at first, my goal is to make it as easy as possible for it to be used. not sure what you mean about changing bullets though, theres only one gun available in the prototype even though the items show more. there will be more guns later on, but how different each one is will be hard to guess. there will be different classes to choose from, each will have different weapons but warcraft is pretty limited to what kind of rifles there might be. here are a few possibilities.

-Standard dwarven blunderbuss with about moderate damage, range, and accuracy with a half second or so rate of fire between each shot. This rifle would basically be for a Rifleman class and probably the best rifle to use with auto targeting.

-Second one will probably be something along the lines of a shorter rifle with some kind of gnomish design that fires 3 or so rounds per shot. This rifle is basically a short to medium ranged rifle that has less damage and accuracy than the blunderbuss, but not a whole lot.

Third and fourth ones are pretty straight forward. Pretty much a sniper rifle with a scope that will have horrible auto target accuracy since its intended to be used mainly while using your scope but it does alot of damage and is very accuracy while scoped and has the longest range. the shotgun, or Shrapnel Blaster in this case, is basically a double barreled rifle used to shoot spreading shrapnel that is loaded with two shells each one is shot individually. It will probably be a pretty interesting gun to use assuming i finish the Saboteur class.

the last one sofar is basically for my tactician class which is going to be kind of like a mix between a sniper and a rifleman. it will probably be a type of long barreled musket that will sound and perform about like the rifleman class one would except a bit higher damage and worse at auto targeting but has longer range and has a shorter ranges scope. it basically will have decent auto targeting capabilites but no were near as good as the medium and closer ranges weapons, but it has the second best range and a scope so it evens out.

Cant really have any kind of automatic weapons since even if it did fit the wc3 lore, its too much of a pain in the ass to either have some kind of hit F to start auto firing, and F again to stop, or slamming the shoot key as fast as u can to shoot while having to manage the WASD keys so suggestions welcome if you have any ideas. i also dont know if ill have actual weapon models, i can easily use some WoW gun models but attaching them to the rifleman and making it look decent is another story.

not really a gun, but there will also be things such as grenades, flash bombs that will blind anyone looking in the general direction, smoke bombs, land mines, and such eventually. each player will also have a bayonette stab but it will be an automatic use since theres not enough button space. so basically, if you run up within melee range of an enemy and shoot at them, it will stab them with the bayonette instead. itll probably work fine if i test it a bit so you wont get any weird malfunctions that cost you a death.

Two things that bugged me:
1) the amount you can look around is too little. I think it's good that you don't allow the screen to go all over the place, but you need more flexibility
2) you don't turn as you walk (I'm sure you are planning on fixing this)

Other than that, it looks awesome.
I will work on having the rotation faster if that is what you mean. I made it so the faster you hit a WASD key the faster you rotate, but either its not effective enough or people just grandma tap the key expecting it to work but ill continue testing speed values. the running I do plan to fix ya, i just have to either edit the model of the dwarf or i have to rework the way i use camera angles so i can rotate the dwarf without any problems. its not really hard as it is just tedious to change the values around. but i will eventually. :)

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
just thought i might update a bit...

i have redone the rifleman movement so now when you strafe left or right you will turn 90 degrees to the left or right. when you move forward or backward while also moving left or right, you will face about 45 degrees in that direction so it looks more realistic.

however, i havent decided on how to do going backwards completely. either a backpedal which would probably require a model edit, or the rifleman will actually turn around and run toward your screen while holding back.

Dirac

Reaction score
Awesome im about to test it
/off: I think this thread should be moved to Member's Projects

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
lol, sorry i didnt mean i have updated the map yet lol. ill reupload a map later today once i finish the initialization stuff since right now its pretty much unplayable. i also changed the auto lock feature a bit. looks quite a bit different now as well as the cross hair, and the low scope has been changed a bit too (i like the new one i made alot).

ill probably actually start a member project thread next week sometime with a playable demo. i say demo because while i can get most of the actual main mechanics done it wont have any kind of decent terrain or objectives that will be implemented as part of the gameplay. demo will probably be playable online though for testing purposes.

Andyoyo

TH.net Regular
Reaction score
ah tricky its bee n a long time, perhaps if i test yours you will test mine (will be out mid june)

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
hey, sure man anytime. im going to try to get a 2nd candidate version up and running as an attachment tonight or sometime in the next day or two. im trying to do as much as i can since i have the rest of the week to sit home and do nothing but WE. wont have as much time after this week. i could work on getting the multiplayer stuff working so the next proto could be testable online but just without any kind of game modes or terrain if i can fix this STOOPID magic bullet bug where it shoots both forward and backwards. argh! got to figure out what i broke lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.