Third Person Shooter - TEST(Map)

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Hey, I basically created a prototype of a third person shooting system idea I have had recently and I am in need of some input from testing it. The map itself is very basic and feel free to look at the code if interested but since its a prototype concept, its pretty sloppy.

For the most part, I am looking for some input in regard to how easy or difficult it is to use the auto aim feature and how smooth or jagged the camera feels to you. I realize the hot keys are pretty much all over the place temporarily, so my apologies if it confuses any of you. Just run around the map and shoot at the green guys with and without the auto target ability, that is about all there is to do for this test.

Click Here to download, or check the attachment below.

attachment.php

-Need To Knows-
-----------------
-Use arrow keys to move forward, backward, and strafe left and right.

-Tap any of the WASD keys to rotate your camera in that direction. Multiple keys may be pressed. You will be frequently tapping these keys to look around. The faster you tap the keys the more you will rotate so if you want to turn around, tap the keys faster as it will build up momentum.

-Press F to fire weapon, R to reload(unlimited ammo in prototype), Q to auto target, and C to zoom in and out with a scope.

-To use the auto target correctly, simply press Q when your facing the general direction of the enemy target. Once targeted, your camera will follow the target and you may move around with arrow keys while targeting, as well as use your WASD keys to aim to the left, right, up, and down of the target being locked on to. Simply press Q again to unlock from the target.

-If you have low framerate, go to gameplay settings and uncheck Always show health bars, as for this game they are not used and will improve your framerate a bit.

-Things I Already Know-
-----------------------
-I realize using WASD to rotate, and arrow keys to move is confusing at first, but there is no alternative. However, any suggestions in regard to improving the friendliness of tapping the WASD keys is welcome.

-Using the mouse instead of WASD keys is not possible at this time. I will be using no third party programs. Nor is making the camera rotate while holding down any of the WASD keys as the arrow keys would, Wc3 does not support it at this time.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them.

Thanks

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
hm, still in need of some feedback on the map. it is pretty small so testing it wouldnt take very long, just simply need you to run around and shoot random enemies with and without the targeting system. mainly need feedback on how easy/hard the targeting system is to use, and the camera movement itself.

thanks

SaMmM

Reaction score
The controls are pretty stiff, but nevertheless its still good for a fps on the wc3 engine.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
The controls are pretty stiff, but nevertheless its still good for a fps on the wc3 engine.

hm, your talking about the WASD rotation correct? i can always work on making the camera smoother than it is now, as well as tweaking the sensitivity on how far you rotate while moving, aiming, etc. i am hoping however, that the auto lock feature will make it much easier to shoot at people since you could stay locked on to them and only have to use the WASD keys once to aim left, right, up or down while using it. but i also wanted the freedom to not use it and be able to aim accurately so i figured i would have the regular movement a higher rotation, and while aiming it would be much lower for precision like sniping for example, and when using the auto lock you dont have to really even worry about trying to get ur crosshair perfectly on someone every time since the auto lock helps. kind of my idea for combating delay if played online.

wraithseeker

Tired.
Reaction score
I tested it, WASD rotation is slow but I know it's because of wc3.

It's great though, I like the terrain and such but auto target is rigged.

Have you thought about enlarging the scope? It's too smalll to see enemies when they move so fast and WASD moves so slow.

kingkingyyk3

Visitor (Welcome to the Jungle, Baby!)
Reaction score
wao, it is cool! :D But too bad in the camera system and script. The GUI messy scripts fxxx me out in editing this map

UndeadDragon

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another great shooter, tricky.

As said before, the only problem was with the slow camera movement, but with the WC3 engine there is not much you can do about that.

BTW, I love that is mostly in GUI. I love pushing the boundaries of GUI :)

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback guys...

sofar most of you have commented on slow camera movement. by this do you all mean every time you hit a wasd key it rotates too slow? i can up the amount it rotates for both moving and while using scope, i just dont want it to be too fast that you always jump past the target every time. ill consider enlarging the scope a bit so there is a larger field of vision and see how it looks in game as well. the auto targeting is meant to be extremely easy to use. my goal with the auto targeting was that if played online some players might not be familiar or simply cant compensate for the delay when trying to aim and shoot manually, so they can simply just use the auto aim so then can just hit the wasd keys once in the general direction while aiming to hit different areas. although, when using auto targeting it the shooting wont be near as accurate as it is now, it will have a less accuracy compared to manually doing it. a core problem with the sharpshooter map aside from it being pretty boring, was that it was just way too difficult for people to get their crosshair aligned on a moving player when having to press the wasd keys constantly while also sometimes dealing with delay.

:p it is unfortunate i did this in GUI, but while it doesnt look like it now, the camera system was pretty customizable for me to change to anything i wanted when i made it so i never considered trying to redo it in complete jass, instead i just wrote a few small scripts to compensate but thats about it lol.

alright so ill work on trying to speed up the camera a bit but not too fast that you always jump past your targets, probably double the targeting detection when trying to lock on to someone, and rework the scoped stuff a bit. still always looking forward to more feedback, trying my best to address all the camera/targeting/shooting issues i can in this prototype so that it will be as user friendly as possible to use online before i actually implement into a map.

thanks

Hildagarn

Reaction score
I think Fire should be Space so if you try to scope someone it would be easier.....my finger goes to space to shoot DX

Other than that it pwnz

Dirac

Reaction score
This prototype owns badly. You should make a tut of how to to this in gui, i didnt get the code lol.

1.- Auto target is wayy to OP, just auto target someone, press W and instaheadshot
2.- when walking from side to side, change the char's facing angle, looks weird
3.- i know there's a way to detect the current position of the player's mouse, i just dont know how, maybe you should apply that to your map

pwnagenub2

Reaction score
I think using left and right arrow would be too cheap, instantly moving like that is kinda weird, moving the characters angle would fix that how ever

Auto aim is way too lame

very good map though

Dirac

Reaction score
Oh, i have an idea!
Use a inmolation based ability to toggle aiming with the arrow keys, snipers cant shoot and move at the same time. Plus it would give more control over the aiming

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
I think Fire should be Space so if you try to scope someone it would be easier.....my finger goes to space to shoot DX

Other than that it pwnz
I wish I could do that I really do, as it does mess you up sometimes trying to move your finger on one of the WASD keys to the F key and then back. It is possible to detect space bar but not with a locked camera unforunately.

This prototype owns badly. You should make a tut of how to to this in gui, i didnt get the code lol.

1.- Auto target is wayy to OP, just auto target someone, press W and instaheadshot
2.- when walking from side to side, change the char's facing angle, looks weird
3.- i know there's a way to detect the current position of the player's mouse, i just dont know how, maybe you should apply that to your map
Haha, I have considered trying to make some kind of shooter tutorial with this stuff before, but I am really sloppy with both Jass functions I make, as well as my GUI triggers. Yeah, the auto targeting is currently meant to be really overpowered, the main thing I wanted to achieve was to get it working and see how easy it was for other players to use. It will be balanced out so there wont be perfect headshots all the time or popping someone across the map with auto target. When strafing, you just slide back and fourth while the forward running animation is being played so I realize it looks a bit odd, but it will be fixed as a cosmetic issue eventually by either changing the unit angle a bit or adding some additional animations to the rifleman model. :) Using mouse detection is possible using trackables, but without an external program to keep your cursor in the middle of the screen, it will not work correctly and I want to avoid any 3rd party programs.

I think using left and right arrow would be too cheap, instantly moving like that is kinda weird, moving the characters angle would fix that how ever

Auto aim is way too lame

very good map though
Hm, I am not sure exactly what you are saying, but are you refering to the side strafing as well? Side strafing animation will be fixed eventually, but if you mean the side strafing is too fast, I can try slowing it down and see how it is because you might be right and its too fast. Lol, I am not sure if anyone seems to like the Auto Target or not. Quite a few say it is pretty lame and overpowered, but I dont know if they mean its too accurate, or its just a dumb idea itself. The auto target wont be godly once the mechanics of it are finished, but I wanted to see what people thought about it in terms of using it and being a possible way of combatanting lag so atleast you will be able to kill people but just not as good as people who are good at the map and anticipating delay if not using ListChecker or whatever. I basically hoping the auto lock will bring back the PLAYABLE gameplay in the shooter map.

Oh, i have an idea!
Use a inmolation based ability to toggle aiming with the arrow keys, snipers cant shoot and move at the same time. Plus it would give more control over the aiming
Interesting, this is pretty much how my arena map was designed. Once you zoom in to snipe, you stopped moving and the arrow keys turned into basically a WASD setup. However, this may be confusing to use arrow keys to move, WASD keys to rotate while moving, and then suddenly when you scope in, you cant use WASD and suddenly the arrow keys rotate. Its a very good suggestion, however while the WASD is a bit harder to adjust to than sniping with arrow keys, having the ability to strafe a bit while zoomed in helps an INCREDIBLE amount if someone is running across your vision, you can just strafe over a little bit and tap the the wasd keys in their direction and you can align your crosshair much easier. I may try both again just to compare though. One thing though, is most likely I will not allow the Auto Targeting to work when zoomed in for any weapon or class. Every person will have a zoomed in feature, but some weapons dont zoom in as far as others. A shotgun for example might have a very small extended zoom, while a longrifle will have a longer extented vision but still both will have the crosshair and not the scope. Thats not to say I cant have a rifle that isnt a sniper, have a different kind of scope but maybe magnifies about half as much as the sniper rifle. I am making sure I keep the weapons Warcraft themed but I may be able to come up with some good combinations. I will be making the sniper scope larger than in this prototype so you can see more on the screen, and i might try to come up with a lower scope for another weapon.

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions, im working on finalizing the camera and the auto locking and trying out and testing many of the suggestions you guys have mentioned or thought about for certain features. like i mentioned already, my main goal with this prototype is to make it as user friendly and playable as possible before it is completed and then implemented into a map so please feel free to comment on any suggestions or feedback from testing the map. It is always appreciated and helpful. Mm yeah, I talk way too much. Cookie for you if you actually read every paragraph. :)

Thanks

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
Oh shit!! that was all without jass?!?! I'm impressed!

lol yeah, well for the most part it is GUI. it will take me too long to rewrite the camera system since it would be like 1000+ lines, so im just leaving it as mostly gui and scripts.

here are the updated scopes. The sniper scope is alot bigger now, the second scope is a possible low scope that could maybe be used on a rifle for shorter magnification maybe. only took about 10 mins to make them both.

attachment.php

attachment.php

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
lol my work is always open source... but pretty much no one can salvage anything out of it anyway lol.

the shoot ability is pretty complex on some level. basically, it horizontally detects if you have shot someone by forming a right triangle one side being the distance from you and the enemy. it then proceeds to calculate the triangles angle by using the angle difference of the angle to both units and the shooting players actual fasing angle. it then continues calculating the undefined (NOT HYPOTENUSE) side of the triangle and if that side of the triangle is say greater than 32, being that the unit will have a hit detection of 64, 32 radius from the center point it will be shot.

The more complicated part is the vertical shot. It first calculates a right triangle using again the distance and the camera angle, it now has to calculate the bullet trajectory. it will determine the height of the triangle that is actually the height of the bullet when it reaches the enemy which will then be compared to the head, chest, and feet of the enemy unit which is defined as the Z height of the unit + XX number to set a body piece. it then compares the differences of the triangle height for each body part of the enemy unit. if a difference matches up to being within a set value for each body part, then it is calculated as a hit.

lol, told you its kind of complex, im sure some will understand it but i am not that great at explaining nor am i very good at making triggers look more simple for people to use. ^_^ basically, a friend and i worked very hard on creating a bullet system years ago that did not require a periodic to move it constantly and it has been formatted to be used in a first person shooter, as well as third now. it can be very accurate in detecting pieces of a unit such as arms, hands, etc. i have kept it simple however and simplified it down to just 3 parts of a body as well as a detection that if you shoot someone who is sideways, then the hit box horizontally will be smaller. just a small example of how it can be manipulated.

xxxtrickyxxx

(o Y o)
Reaction score
lol, thanks :) lets hope I can actually finish the prototype and come up with an exciting enough level design like a village town with rolling hills and trees etc mixed in with it and stuff. the current terrain is just a 2 minute job of just spamming trees and grass randomly lol. not half bad though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.

The Helper Discord

Staff online

Members online

Affiliates

Hive Workshop NUON Dome World Editor Tutorials

Network Sponsors

Apex Steel Pipe - Buys and sells Steel Pipe.